Professional Web Applications Themes

WPA on a budget? - Mac Networking

Hank Shiffman <org> writes:  > > > > Thanks, it is what I have so the WRT54C is not an option.[/ref] > > Don't you believe it! I have one working very nicely with my > TiBook.[/ref] Hank, I'm confused with what equipment you have. What card do have working with what access point using what encryption? If you have a plain Airport (non-extreme) card doing WPA working with a 3rd party access point, I really wanna know about it! Best Regards, -- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net/...

  1. #1

    Default Re: WPA on a budget?

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  2. #2

    In article <com>, net (Todd H.)
    wrote:

    > > Don't you believe it! I have one working very nicely with my
    > > TiBook.[/ref]
    >
    > Hank, I'm confused with what equipment you have. What card do have
    > working with what access point using what encryption? If you have a
    > plain Airport (non-extreme) card doing WPA working with a 3rd party
    > access point, I really wanna know about it!
    >
    > Best Regards,[/ref]

    That's exactly what I have. I have a Cube and a TiBook, both with
    Airport cards. (These are original 802.11b cards in the special Airport
    slots.) I recently replaced my non-wireless Linksys router with a
    WRT54C. I have the wireless set to Security Mode=WPA Pre-Shared Key and
    WPA Algorithms=TKIP. On my TiBook, I gave it the network name and the
    shared key. I turn Airport on and it finds and uses my network (called
    Hanknet to make sure I'm really using my net and not the neighbors').
    And I've unplugged the Ethernet and proven that I can reach my Cube via
    wireless.

    What else would you like to know?

    --
    Hank Shiffman http://www.disordered.org
    Have Opinion, Will Travel org

  3. #3

    Hank Shiffman <org> writes:

    > > Hank, I'm confused with what equipment you have. What card do have
    > > working with what access point using what encryption? If you have a
    > > plain Airport (non-extreme) card doing WPA working with a 3rd party
    > > access point, I really wanna know about it!
    > >
    > > Best Regards,[/ref]
    >
    > That's exactly what I have. I have a Cube and a TiBook, both with
    > Airport cards. (These are original 802.11b cards in the special Airport
    > slots.) I recently replaced my non-wireless Linksys router with a
    > WRT54C. I have the wireless set to Security Mode=WPA Pre-Shared Key and
    > WPA Algorithms=TKIP. On my TiBook, I gave it the network name and the
    > shared key. I turn Airport on and it finds and uses my network (called
    > Hanknet to make sure I'm really using my net and not the neighbors').
    > And I've unplugged the Ethernet and proven that I can reach my Cube via
    > wireless.
    >
    > What else would you like to know?[/ref]

    You've said it all. Thanks for being the first datapoint of "802.11b
    Airport WPA actually works." I'll take another stab at making it
    happen with my Airport with my Linksys WRT54G. The last 2hrs I spent
    after downloading the latest Airport software 2 weeks ago didn't work
    out, but I'll try try again knowing that at least someone got it
    happenin'. 8-)

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  4. #4

    In article <biV8c.11303$JO3.18834attbi_s04>,
    videoxfer <tv> wrote:

    > The SMC Barricade 2804WBR supports WPA and typically sells for ~ $70,
    > often with substantial rebates. I got mine for $40 after rebate, less
    > than a month ago. Iirc, I had to update the firmware to get WPA.[/ref]

    Following up on videoxfer's good advice, I've now got a new 2804WBR working
    with my WiFi-b network. Total cost: $75 including S&H - $20 mail-in
    rebate. The hardest part of setup was getting past the router's initial
    login screen (the router came w/o a manual, and the online manual claimed
    the default password is "", which is not correct. After calling tech
    support--it's one of the increasingly rare vendors who still offers free
    phone support--the techician confirmed that was only true of the first
    shipping version of that model and gave me the correct password for my
    version). There were no problems getting Panther to handle WPA, which it
    detected automatically.

    Thanks, videoxfer!

    --
    CC
    CC Guest

  5. #5

    In article <c4kjq1$h9i$ripco.com>, net (Todd H.)
    wrote:

    I am waiting to set up WPA here until my Tivo supports it. I need both
    an adapter that handles it, and for the Tivo software to get a clue.

    Scott
    Scott Guest