Professional Web Applications Themes

Wrapping around a curved object - Adobe Photoshop Elements

What is the best way to (or can we) wrap a flat object around a curved object? Example: Let's say I wanted to take a flat picture of grapes that I have on one layer and make it look like it wraps around a wine bottle in a photo that I have on another layer. Inquiring minds want to know... :) Patti...

  1. #1

    Default Wrapping around a curved object

    What is the best way to (or can we) wrap a flat object around a curved object? Example: Let's say I wanted to take a flat picture of grapes that I have on one layer and make it look like it wraps around a wine bottle in a photo that I have on another layer.

    Inquiring minds want to know... :)

    Patti
    Patti Anderson Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Wrapping around a curved object

    You could try the 3D transform filter...
    Elena Murphy Guest

  3. #3

    Patti,

    I think this will give you what you want.

    Have the grapes picture open and then make a duplicate layer. (Hope you
    understand layers)....Layer/Duplicate Layer.

    Now open the wine bottle picture making sure to resize it to match the grape
    picture both in size and resolution. Have both pictures open side by side
    and click the "move tool" (the one that looks like a plus sign with
    arrowheads); Click on and hold the wine bottle picture and drag it on to the
    grapes picture.

    Look at the layers palette and you will see the top layer is the wine bottle
    and the other two layers below are the grapes. Click on the "layer
    thumbnail" of the wine bottle and drag it in between the grapes layers.

    Now single click on the top "grapes layer thumbnail" to make it active and
    just above that you will see "Opacity is 100%". Click the right arrow by
    that 100% and make it about 50%, enough so you can see the wine bottle
    through the grapes picture.

    Now click on the eraser tool and erase grapes from areas of the bottle so
    there is enough of the wine bottle showing....making it look like it is
    wrapped in grapes.

    PeteD

    Pete D Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Pete :)

    Patti, again 1001 ways to do something in PSE. I've done it this way with success; Take the label and put it on it's side and use the distort 'shear' filter. Afterwards, you can position it on the bottle correctly by using the move/transform tool and the options there. Play :)
    JodiFrye Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks all! I tried Jodi's way first and it worked for what I wanted, but I am saving the other answers too, for future reference. If anyone has another method, please share!

    I wasn't actually working on grapes, that was just an example. If I can get this image to a point when I am happy with it, it will be in the #33 challenge. That's all I'm sayin' for now... :) I sent last week's challenge in kind of late so I'm trying to get this one done early.

    I definitely learn by playing, Jodi, but when my *playing* begins to eat into work time, I figure I better ask the pros. Every time I ask a question on this forum, my knowledge of using PE increases exponentially! BTW...I could've taken it in CorelDraw to get "the wrap"...but then I wouldn't have learned anything.

    TTFN
    Patti
    Patti Anderson Guest

  6. #6

    Patti

    You did wonderfully well with the cow and warp in the Challenge.

    Grant

    Grant Dixon Guest

  7. #7

    > You did wonderfully well with the cow and warp in the Challenge.
    >
    > Grant
    I'm going to second that! Wonderful idea!!!

    RobertHJones Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks guys! There's nothing like a challenge to help you learn new techniques.

    Robert, your "Playcow" cover is too funny!

    Patti
    Patti Anderson Guest