Professional Web Applications Themes

Wratten 12 ? - Photography

"mr. chip" <simoncrinklechip.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:benbg9$7su$1news7.svr.pol.co.uk... > Hello > > I've just got some Kodak EIR film and I've looked up as much as I can find > on the net about how to use it. Most, if not all, sources say that to get > the best colours you have to use a number 12 deep yellow filter. Now, I > can't find this available anywhere. Jessops told me they could order it but > it would take a number of weeks for it to arrive. I've got a number 8 medium > yellow and everywhere sells this. ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Wratten 12 ?

    "mr. chip" <simoncrinklechip.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I've just got some Kodak EIR film and I've looked up as much as I can find
    > on the net about how to use it. Most, if not all, sources say that to get
    > the best colours you have to use a number 12 deep yellow filter. Now, I
    > can't find this available anywhere. Jessops told me they could order it
    but
    > it would take a number of weeks for it to arrive. I've got a number 8
    medium
    > yellow and everywhere sells this.
    >
    > So..... I was thinking... What if I got hold of another number 8 and put
    the
    > two of them together? Would this be approximately the same depth of yellow
    > as a number 12? I can't imagine it would be as dark as an orange filter.
    >
    > Or am I missing something...Like.. is the 12 a different colour to the 8,
    > rather than being simply darker?
    >
    > I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light (of any colour) on this
    for
    > me.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Simon.

    You can also use a Wratten 15. We've used it, it works fine. The cutoff
    is slighty different from the wratten 12 but if you look at both charts they
    are pretty similar. The 15 is more available (at least in the US). We
    found ours on the rack at Calumet. We used a Canon A2E and an Elan 7. Both
    burned the sprocket holes but did not affect the picture frame. FYI,
    processing E6, we found that an ei of 250 would be just about ideal using
    the TTL meter in the cameras. We bracketed around 200 and the 250 exposure
    was always the best of the three.
    The hard part of all this is coming up with $23 a roll for the film.

    fbearl Guest

  2. #2

    "mr. chip" <simoncrinklechip.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I've just got some Kodak EIR film and I've looked up as much as I can find
    > on the net about how to use it. Most, if not all, sources say that to get
    > the best colours you have to use a number 12 deep yellow filter. Now, I
    > can't find this available anywhere. Jessops told me they could order it
    but
    > it would take a number of weeks for it to arrive. I've got a number 8
    medium
    > yellow and everywhere sells this.
    >
    > So..... I was thinking... What if I got hold of another number 8 and put
    the
    > two of them together? Would this be approximately the same depth of yellow
    > as a number 12? I can't imagine it would be as dark as an orange filter.
    >
    > Or am I missing something...Like.. is the 12 a different colour to the 8,
    > rather than being simply darker?
    >
    > I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light (of any colour) on this
    for
    > me.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Simon.

    With EIR it is more the colour of the filter than the density that matters.
    Unfiltered everything would be incredibly dominated by the film's
    over-sensitivity to blue light ("Ahh woke up dis mornin', slides had all
    turned turned blue... no, not that kind of blues: blue actually reproduces
    as a sort of mauvey-purple. So you need to counteract this: this is why a
    yellow is the optimum to get the widest range of colours. The further your
    filtration is away from the yellow that is complementary to the film's peak
    blue sensitivity, the more the excess blue will influence things and so
    compress the total colour range you get, at the same time changing whihc
    colours dominate.

    Other filtration options can give interesting and worthwhile effects, so a
    little experimentation can be worthwhile - but deep yellow is 'the best'
    most of the time. Orange is 'different' rather than 'like deep yellow but
    less so' - try it, but you'll find the colours very different from yellow.

    If you can't get a Wratten 12, B+W makes a very good deep yellow, and there
    are others.

    Peter

    Bandicoot Guest

  3. #3

    I've used the 15, too, with the desired results. And it is indeed the
    orange filter for B&W. And I shot the rolls I used at 200.
    I decided that the results and the price didn't produce what I wanted, so
    I've not used it much.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    [url]www.shadowcatcherimagery.com[/url]

    > Thanks for responding. Is the 15 the same as a standard orange filter for
    > black and white? From what I've found out so far the orange will give a
    > richer, warmer image and the normal yellow a more washed out, bluer one.
    Can
    > you confirm this?
    > I'm using an old Nikon EM so there is no chance of fogging due to IR
    > sensors. And thanks also for confirming what I was going to do... That is
    > use 250 as my base exposure and bracket around that (using TTL). I was
    going
    > to bracket at 400 and 160... do you think this will be ok or will is there
    > need to use 320 and 200?
    > Oh and I paid 8.95 for my roll... The price doesn't exactly encourage
    > cavalier experimentation does it..
    >
    > Simon.

    Skip Middleton Guest

  4. #4

    "mr. chip" wrote:
    > I've just got some Kodak EIR film and
    > I've looked up as much as I can find on
    > the Net about how to use it. Most, if not
    > all, sources say that to get the best
    > colours you have to use a number 12
    > deep yellow filter.
    There is no such thing as 'the best colours' with Kodak EIR.
    What's 'the best' depends on the subject, the actual lighting
    conditions, and your taste.

    With Kodak EIR, you may try any filter from medium yellow
    to reddish orange or even red. Also green filters may be
    worth a try or two. Generally, the most beautiful results will
    be obtained with dark yellow as well as yellowish to medium
    orange filters (i. e. Wratten #12, #15, #16, and #22). All
    these filters are very common; you should be able to purchase
    them at any photo store or mail-order photo retailer.

    By the way, #12 isn't 'deep yellow'---actually, it's in-between
    medium (#8) and dark (#15) yellow. #16 is yellowish orange,
    #22 is medium orange, and #23A is reddish orange (do not
    ask for the logic behind the Wratten numbers! ;-)

    And no, you cannot combine two #8 filters to obtain the same
    result as with a #12 filter. The difference between the filters
    is not their 'darkness' but the position of the absorption edges
    in their spectral transmission curves. But you can combine
    any contrast filter with a polarizer if you wish. The polarizer
    will reduce reflexions and enhance colour saturation, with IR
    film just as well as with any film.

    Olaf

    Olaf Ulrich Guest

  5. #5

    > Now, I
    > can't find this available anywhere. Jessops told me they could order it but
    > it would take a number of weeks for it to arrive.
    Jessop is probably a good place to buy the latest digital camera at a
    sligtly lower price, but I could never find anything else there (I also
    had some problems with their assistence once I bought a second-hand
    camera but that could have been bad luck). A fast search on the net
    shows that robertwhite.co.uk has what you are looking for, as well as
    some e-bay sellers. I guess many other on-line shop also have what you
    need.

    S.

    Ferri Stefano Guest

  6. #6

    "mr. chip" <simoncrinklechip.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:<benbg9$7su$1news7.svr.pol.co.uk>...
    > Hello
    >
    > I've just got some Kodak EIR film and I've looked up as much as I can find
    > on the net about how to use it. Most, if not all, sources say that to get
    > the best colours you have to use a number 12 deep yellow filter. Now, I
    > can't find this available anywhere. Jessops told me they could order it but
    > it would take a number of weeks for it to arrive. I've got a number 8 medium
    > yellow and everywhere sells this.
    >
    > So..... I was thinking... What if I got hold of another number 8 and put the
    > two of them together? Would this be approximately the same depth of yellow
    > as a number 12?
    No, there would be hardly any difference at all from just 1 filter.

    I can't imagine it would be as dark as an orange filter.

    > Or am I missing something...Like.. is the 12 a different colour to the 8,
    > rather than being simply darker?
    Yes, that's why it has a different number.

    > I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light (of any colour) on this for
    > me.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Simon.
    Get a 12 filter from Kodak (Wratten gels).
    Michael Scarpitti Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: Wratten 12... EIR experience?

    > > Hello
    > >
    > > I've just got some Kodak EIR film and I've looked up as much as I can
    find
    > > on the net about how to use it. Most, if not all, sources say that to
    get
    > > the best colours you have to use a number 12 deep yellow filter. Now, I
    > > can't find this available anywhere. Jessops told me they could order it
    but
    > > it would take a number of weeks for it to arrive. I've got a number 8
    medium
    > > yellow and everywhere sells this.
    > >
    > > So..... I was thinking... What if I got hold of another number 8 and put
    the
    > > two of them together? Would this be approximately the same depth of
    yellow
    > > as a number 12?
    >

    > I can't imagine it would be as dark as an orange filter.
    > >
    > > Or am I missing something...Like.. is the 12 a different colour to the
    8,
    > > rather than being simply darker?
    > >
    > > I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light (of any colour) on this
    for
    > > me.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Simon.

    Thanks to all who responded. I found that SRB sells a Lee number 12 filter.

    Now, what about this EIR stuff?
    If I'm using a camera with TTL what speed should I use as my base setting? I
    know I'll have to bracket depending on the type of day etc., but that's what
    I heard about other IR films. When I tried out Ilford SFX and Konica 750,
    both with a Hoya 72, I bracketed quite extensively, but when I developed the
    negs I found that I needn't have bothered. The frames that I set to 200 for
    the Ilford and 32 for the Konica were the best. Or was I just lucky?

    Simon.

    mr. chip Guest