Professional Web Applications Themes

Wrong color space in D70 - Photography

I set the color space in my D70 to be Adobe RBG and it seems to be shooting sRBG, at least that's what Photoshop CS is telling me. I have updated it with the latest firmware. Any idea what's going on here? I only shoot in M, A or S mode. TIA Edwin...

  1. #1

    Default Wrong color space in D70

    I set the color space in my D70 to be Adobe RBG and it seems to be
    shooting sRBG, at least that's what Photoshop CS is telling me. I have
    updated it with the latest firmware. Any idea what's going on here? I
    only shoot in M, A or S mode.

    TIA
    Edwin
    Edwin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Wrong color space in D70

    This issue is covered in the instruction manual.

    bmoag Guest

  3. #3

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:27:30 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Edwin
    Hurwitz <com> wrote:

    From p. 59 of the manual:
    When opening photographs taken in Mode II in Adobe Photoshop or other
    applications that support color management, select the Adobe RGB color
    space.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Ruf.com)
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Guest

  4. #4

    You also have to set Adobe RGB in Photoshop CS, because Photoshop has no
    idea what color space you used in the camera.

    C Guest

  5. #5

    In article <com>,
    "C J Campbell" <com> wrote:

    Thanks for all the help, everyone! I guess it's a little naive of me to
    expect that if the camera records all kinds of shooting info, it would
    include something as basic as color space. In the browser it reports
    that the pictures were shot in sRGB, so I made the assumption that there
    was some communication going on.

    Thanks again!
    Edwin
    Edwin Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Edwin. Color space is stored in the JPG or NEF files - open up your
    images in Nikon View (you can download a copy for free from the Nikon
    web site) and you will see "Color Mode: Mode II (Adobe RGB)" in the
    shooting data. Photoshop 6 recognises Adobe RGB for me, but my workflow
    is:

    1. Open in Nikon View
    2. Edit in Nikon Editor (included with Nikon View)
    3. Select "Image / Open with Photoshop" from Nikon Editor.
    4. Photoshop 6 asks me if I want to convert the color space from Adobe
    RGB to my working space.

    I do this because I only shoot in RAW mode (NEF files), and the Nikon
    editor gives me greater control over the RAW conversion process than the
    conversion software that comes with Photoshop 6.

    Cheers, Simon B.

    "Edwin Hurwitz" <com> wrote in message

    > Thanks for all the help, everyone! I guess it's a little naive of me
    > expect that if the camera records all kinds of shooting info, it would
    > include something as basic as color space. In the browser it reports
    > that the pictures were shot in sRGB, so I made the assumption that
    > there
    > was some communication going on.
    >
    > Thanks again!
    > Edwin[/ref]

    Simon Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks for the in depth reply! I tried what you said, though and I still
    get only Mode Ia. I, too, shoot RAW a lot, but in some cases, JPEG makes
    more sense, especially when I am going to give the shots to someone else
    who may not have access or ability to use conversion software. I am
    beginning to think that my camera has an issue here.

    thanks again!
    Edwin

    In article <net>,
    "Simon B" <com> wrote:

    > > Thanks for all the help, everyone! I guess it's a little naive of me
    > > expect that if the camera records all kinds of shooting info, it would
    > > include something as basic as color space. In the browser it reports
    > > that the pictures were shot in sRGB, so I made the assumption that
    > > there
    > > was some communication going on.
    > >
    > > Thanks again!
    > > Edwin[/ref][/ref]
    Edwin Guest

  8. #8

    Hello again Edwin. You can check the color space that your D70 just
    used to take a photo. View the image on the D70, then press the left
    arrow button until you see that page with COLOR. HUE on it. An sRGB
    image will be MODE 1a .0, and an Adobe RGB image will be MODE2. 0. I
    hadn't tried shooting in Adobe RGB before just now (a professional
    photographer supplied some photos to me from a D70 shooting Adobe RGB is
    how I knew the work-flow). Anyway, I just tried setting it, and the
    tricky bit was you had to press ENTER on the "Done" option after
    selecting your color mode. Good luck.

    Cheers, Simon.

    "Edwin Hurwitz" <com> wrote in message

    Simon Guest

  9. #9

    Well, after going through the process 4 times (exactly the same way!),
    it finally took. Crazy! Every time I went back to the menu, it indicated
    that Mode II was selected, but when I took a picture, they came out in
    Mode I. Now it seems to be sorted out.

    Thanks so much for getting back to me again.

    Edwin

    In article <net>,
    "Simon B" <com> wrote:
     [/ref]