Professional Web Applications Themes

wrong host on example invoke pages - ASP.NET Web Services

Sorry for the multiple posts. Seems I didn't have my nospam email setup so MSDN didn't recognize me as a subscriber. Hopefully this will be the last time I have to repost this. WebServices on my machine have recently begun experiencing problems when testing the service through the description pages. For example: [url]http://www.testsite.com/services/details.asmx?op=Insert[/url] The various methods begin with the following header information: POST /services/details.asmx HTTP/1.1 Host: machinename.domain.com Content-Type: text/xml; cht=utf-8 Content-Length: length SOAPAction: "http://tempuri.org/services/details/Insert" The Host here is wrong and should be the testsite, not the local machine. Clicking Invoke tries to redirect to this: [url]http://machinename.domain.com/services/details.asmx/Insert[/url] when it should be ...

  1. #1

    Default wrong host on example invoke pages

    Sorry for the multiple posts. Seems I didn't have my nospam email setup so
    MSDN didn't recognize me as a subscriber. Hopefully this will be the last
    time I have to repost this.

    WebServices on my machine have recently begun experiencing problems when
    testing the service through the description pages.

    For example:
    [url]http://www.testsite.com/services/details.asmx?op=Insert[/url]
    The various methods begin with the following header information:

    POST /services/details.asmx HTTP/1.1
    Host: machinename.domain.com
    SOAPAction: "http://tempuri.org/services/details/Insert"

    The Host here is wrong and should be the testsite, not the local machine.

    Clicking Invoke tries to redirect to this:
    [url]http://machinename.domain.com/services/details.asmx/Insert[/url]

    when it should be redirecting to this:
    [url]http://www.testsite.com/services/details.asmx/Insert[/url]

    Also in the service description for the service the following is wrong:

    - <wsdl:service name="details">
    - <wsdl:port name="siteSoap" binding="tns:siteSoap">
    <soap:address
    location="http://machinename.domain.com/services/details.asmx" />
    </wsdl:port>
    - <wsdl:port name="siteHttpGet" binding="tns:siteHttpGet">
    <http:address
    location="http://machinename.domain.com/services/details.asmx" />
    </wsdl:port>
    - <wsdl:port name="siteHttpPost" binding="tns:siteHttpPost">
    <http:address
    location="http://machinename.domain.com/services/details.asmx" />
    </wsdl:port>
    </wsdl:service>

    These problems started when I installed SP1 on Windows 2003 Server. There
    were some problems during the install and I eventually got the server back up
    so it may have been related to other surronding issues.

    If anyone can shed some light on this for me that would be great! I'm sure
    it's something simple and likely just a setting somewhere.

    Rick Boardman Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: wrong host on example invoke pages

    "=?Utf-8?B?UmljayBCb2FyZG1hbg==?="
    <RickBoardmandiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > POST /services/details.asmx HTTP/1.1
    > Host: machinename.domain.com
    Is this also name of the machine it is on? Where/When did you initially enter
    this anywhere?

    --
    Chad Z. Hower (a.k.a. Kudzu) - [url]http://www.hower.org/Kudzu/[/url]

    Blog: [url]http://blogs.atozed.com/kudzu[/url]
    Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu Guest

  3. #3

    "Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu" wrote:
    > "=?Utf-8?B?UmljayBCb2FyZG1hbg==?="
    > <RickBoardmandiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > > POST /services/details.asmx HTTP/1.1
    > > Host: machinename.domain.com
    >
    > Is this also name of the machine it is on? Where/When did you initially enter
    > this anywhere?
    Yes, machine name is the name of the machine this is on (entered during
    windows installation) and domain.com is the domain entered during windows
    creation

  4. #4

    "=?Utf-8?B?UmljayBCb2FyZG1hbg==?=" <NetBoticsnospam.nospam> wrote in
    > Yes, machine name is the name of the machine this is on (entered during
    > windows installation) and domain.com is the domain entered during
    > windows creation
    The page you are showing, is only meant for debugging not real use. When
    ASP.NET generates them, it appears to just take the machine name, not the
    host parameter in your scenario. In fact it should be taking the website name
    as in IIS, and likely is but without seeing your machine I cant see what your
    names are and why you want it different.

  5. #5

    > The page you are showing, is only meant for debugging not real use. When
    > ASP.NET generates them, it appears to just take the machine name, not the
    > host parameter in your scenario. In fact it should be taking the website name
    > as in IIS, and likely is but without seeing your machine I cant see what your
    > names are and why you want it different.
    I understand this is only for debugging, not real use. Being that we are a
    development shop, we do a lot of debugging and testing at this level.

    Please note:
    testsite.com is virtually hosted on machinename.domain.com

    Before Windows 2003 Server SP1 update:
    [url]http://www.testsite.com/services/details.asmx/Insert[/url]

    After Windows 2003 Server SP1 update:
    [url]http://machinename.domain.com/services/details.asmx/Insert[/url]
    Which causes the invoke to get page not found errors.

    I want webservice example invoke pages to work like they did before Windows
    2003 Server SP1 update where the service was picking up the virtualy hosted
    domain not the local machine name and domain.

    Rick Boardman Guest

  6. #6

    > I want webservice example invoke pages to work like they did before
    > Windows 2003 Server SP1 update where the service was picking up the
    > virtualy hosted domain not the local machine name and domain.
    Windows SP's have a bad habit of breaking things in IIS through lockdown
    procedures. I would suggest checking the application settings, or more
    importantly the settings for this virtual host and see if anything has
    changed. .NET hasn't, but something is causing IIS to feed information to
    ..NET differently.

  7. #7

    [url]http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1787985,00.asp[/url]

  8. #8

    I've looked through the settings for anything I thought might be an issue
    (even before I posted here last month) but haven't found anything I can point
    at as the problem.

    I reviewed the site link posted. From what I gather it doesn't get into
    anything specific nor fixes and basically indicates Windows 2003 Server SP1
    breaks things.

    Is there maybe an MVP or MS Employee who might know what .net does to
    generate the hostname and the verb settings in the wsdl? If so I imagine
    this problem can be isolated to a specific setting in the registry, metabase,
    etc. This would be extremely helpful.
    Rick Boardman Guest