Professional Web Applications Themes

WSDL Dilemma - ASP.NET Web Services

I have a solution which has multiple projects. One of the projects is a web service. Another project is a web application. The web application needs to reference the web service. The web application has not had a problem with referencing the exposed web methods and classes in the web service. Prior to today the name spaces and project names in each have been changed a bit for organization sake, this also includes changing of names of the output assemblies. In the process a class was ripped out of the web service and put into a class library project that ...

  1. #1

    Default WSDL Dilemma

    I have a solution which has multiple projects. One of the projects is a web
    service. Another project is a web application. The web application needs to
    reference the web service. The web application has not had a problem with
    referencing the exposed web methods and classes in the web service.

    Prior to today the name spaces and project names in each have been changed a
    bit for organization sake, this also includes changing of names of the output
    assemblies. In the process a class was ripped out of the web service and put
    into a class library project that the web service will reference as well as
    the web application since the will both share said class.

    Now my problem. When I upate the web reference in the web application there
    is NO change to the classes and name spaces. The class that I ripped out of
    the web service STILL remains when referenced in the web application.

    I have done everything I can think of. I have verified that the web service
    is being rebuilt and the new dll has the correct assembly name. In the class
    viewer it reflects my changes within the web service.

    I even added a new web method and that DOES get picked up by the web
    application in addition to the ripped out class REMAINING in there. <sigh>

    The WSDL file that gets maded after I have deleted web references in the web
    application and then re-establish the web reference still has information
    about the class that I ripped out as though I never took it out.

    I am about to pull my hair out. What in the world am I doing wrong???

    -Demetri
    Demetri Guest

  2. #2

    Default RE: WSDL Dilemma

    Hi Demetri,

    If the class that you refactored is still referenced either in a call
    parameter or return type from one of your web methods it will be included
    in the generated shadow proxy classes. If the XML namespace (not the
    ASP.net namespace) remains unchanged, then the class you refactored hasn't
    actually been shifted, from an XML schema perspective.

    To make the proxy side implementation use the version you refactored, you
    need to manually alter the generated proxy code by commenting out the class
    you want to use from a different DLL, and then add a Imports statement (for
    VB) at the top of the file and add a reference to the new DLL to the
    project for the calling side.

    I hope this helps

    Dan Rogers
    Microsoft Corporation
    --------------------
    >From: "=?Utf-8?B?RGVtZXRyaQ==?=" <Demetridiscussions.microsoft.com>
    >Subject: WSDL Dilemma
    >Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 08:59:03 -0800
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservic es
    >
    >I have a solution which has multiple projects. One of the projects is a
    web
    >service. Another project is a web application. The web application needs
    >reference the web service. The web application has not had a problem with
    >referencing the exposed web methods and classes in the web service.
    >
    >Prior to today the name spaces and project names in each have been changed
    >bit for organization sake, this also includes changing of names of the
    output
    >assemblies. In the process a class was ripped out of the web service and
    put
    >into a class library project that the web service will reference as well
    as
    >the web application since the will both share said class.
    >
    >Now my problem. When I upate the web reference in the web application
    there
    >is NO change to the classes and name spaces. The class that I ripped out
    of
    >the web service STILL remains when referenced in the web application.
    >
    >I have done everything I can think of. I have verified that the web
    service
    >is being rebuilt and the new dll has the correct assembly name. In the
    class
    >viewer it reflects my changes within the web service.
    >
    >I even added a new web method and that DOES get picked up by the web
    >application in addition to the ripped out class REMAINING in there. <sigh>
    >
    >The WSDL file that gets maded after I have deleted web references in the
    web
    >application and then re-establish the web reference still has information
    >about the class that I ripped out as though I never took it out.
    >
    >I am about to pull my hair out. What in the world am I doing wrong???
    >
    >-Demetri

    Dan Rogers Guest