Professional Web Applications Themes

x86 PCI IDE controller. - Sun Solaris

Hi Anyone used Sunsway/ST Lab PCI ATA-133 controller with Solaris 9. [Q]Would it work with solaris generic ata driver? Extracted this from their web site.It says its compliant with the pci-ide specification. Features: Ultra ATA 66 compatible Fully backwards compatible with Ultra ATA/33, EIDE/Fast ATA-2 IDE & ATAPI devices Supports Ultra DMA2, 3, 4 ; Multi-Word DMA0, 1, 2 & PIO 2, 3, 4 driver modes Compliant to ATA/ATAPI-5 specification and PCI specification version 2.1. [Q] Does any pci-controller that is compliant to PCI and ATA/ATAPI specification work with Solaris? Tommy Fallsen...

  1. #1

    Default x86 PCI IDE controller.

    Hi
    Anyone used Sunsway/ST Lab PCI ATA-133 controller with Solaris 9.
    [Q]Would it work with solaris generic ata driver?

    Extracted this from their web site.It says its compliant with the pci-ide
    specification.

    Features:
    Ultra ATA 66 compatible
    Fully backwards compatible with Ultra ATA/33, EIDE/Fast ATA-2 IDE & ATAPI
    devices
    Supports Ultra DMA2, 3, 4 ; Multi-Word DMA0, 1, 2 & PIO 2, 3, 4 driver modes
    Compliant to ATA/ATAPI-5 specification and PCI specification version 2.1.

    [Q] Does any pci-controller that is compliant to PCI and ATA/ATAPI
    specification work with Solaris?

    Tommy Fallsen

    Tommy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: x86 PCI IDE controller.

    "Tommy Fallsen" <com> wrote in message news:71.169.73...

    I assume you mean the www.sunsway.com.hk web site (you should have provided
    this rather than make me google it).

    Where do you think they say "it's compliant with the pci-ide specification"?

    The words "PCI-IDE Controller Specification" or "PCI-IDE Bus Mastering
    Specification" do *not* appear on any Sunsway web page that I can find.

    That's obviously a different product. And besides, you've misread its
    compliance claims. Sunsway doesn't appear to have any specs available
    for their ATA-133 product.

    No. Those are different specs than the two published "PCI-IDE" specs. Neither
    the PCI spec nor the ATA/ATAPI spec defines the HBA programming interface
    that's required for PCI-IDE compliance.

    Add-in cards that require a card-specific Windows drivers almost certainly
    are not PCI-IDE compliant and therefore have no hope of working with the
    bog-standard Solaris "ata" driver. Microsoft pretty much requires every
    add-in card vendor to "fix" their hardware to require a card-specific
    device driver. So it's very unlikely you'll find any PCI-IDE add-in card
    that doesn't require a vendor-specific Windows (or Solaris) driver to be
    installed to support the card.

    Motherboard chipsets that claim PCI-IDE compliance or ISA-IDE compliance
    are the only controller chipsets I've seen that work with the Solaris
    ata driver.

    Bruce Guest

  3. #3

    > > Anyone used Sunsway/ST Lab PCI ATA-133 controller with Solaris 9.
     [/ref]
    pci-ide

    > I assume you mean the www.sunsway.com.hk web site (you should have[/ref]
    provided
    specification"?

    > That's obviously a different product. And besides, you've misread its
    > compliance claims. Sunsway doesn't appear to have any specs available
    > for their ATA-133 product.[/ref]

    Sorry, mistyped first line in post i meant the PCI ATA-100 controller.

    http://www.sunsway.com.hk/products/ata66.html

    > No. Those are different specs than the two published "PCI-IDE" specs.[/ref]
    Neither

    Thanks for clearing that up.

    Tommy Fallsen

    Tommy Guest

  4. #4

    "Tommy Fallsen" <com> wrote in message news:71.169.73... [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    > pci-ide
    > >
    > > I assume you mean the www.sunsway.com.hk web site (you should have[/ref]
    > provided
    > specification"?
    > >
    > > That's obviously a different product. And besides, you've misread its
    > > compliance claims. Sunsway doesn't appear to have any specs available
    > > for their ATA-133 product.[/ref]
    >
    > Sorry, mistyped first line in post i meant the PCI ATA-100 controller.
    >
    > http://www.sunsway.com.hk/products/ata66.html[/ref]

    Again. That's obviously a different product.

    It appears to me that their ATA-100 product requires a card-specific Windows
    driver but there doesn't appear to be a card-specific Windows driver for
    their ATA-66 product. Either that's a mistake on their part (or I just didn't
    look in the right spot), or it may be an indication that the ATA-66 product
    works with a bog-standard PCI-IDE driver (or maybe their ATA-66 product uses
    a chip that doesn't work on any OS (don't laugh, it has happened, ask NatSemi)).
    Depending on which product you're actually looking at, it might work. No
    promises, though. YMMV.

    Bruce Guest

  5. #5

    > > pci-ide
    > > provided
    > > specification"? [/ref][/ref]
    find.

    > > Sorry, mistyped first line in post i meant the PCI ATA-100 controller.
    > >
    > > http://www.sunsway.com.hk/products/ata66.html[/ref]
    >
    > Again. That's obviously a different product.
    >
    > It appears to me that their ATA-100 product requires a card-specific[/ref]
    Windows
    didn't
    product
    uses
    NatSemi)).

    I did find a controller where they actually made the drivers for Solaris x86
    to it. The
    MegaRAID i4 ATA/100 RAID storage adapter.
    http://www.lsilogic.com/products/stor_prod/raid/i4.html

    But its way too expensive for me.

    Tommy Fallsen

    Tommy Guest

  6. #6

    "Tommy Fallsen" <com> wrote in message news:71.169.73... [/ref]
    > find.
    > >
    > > Again. That's obviously a different product.
    > >
    > > It appears to me that their ATA-100 product requires a card-specific[/ref]
    > Windows
    > didn't
    > product
    > uses
    > NatSemi)).
    >
    > I did find a controller where they actually made the drivers for Solaris x86
    > to it. The
    > MegaRAID i4 ATA/100 RAID storage adapter.
    > http://www.lsilogic.com/products/stor_prod/raid/i4.html
    >
    > But its way too expensive for me.[/ref]

    Comparing a PCI-IDE controller to a MegaRAID i4 adapter is like comparing a
    magnifying glass to the Hubble space telescope.

    The i4 controller is not a PCI-IDE controller. It has so little in common
    with a PCI-IDE controller that you might as well have brought up FC-AL SAN
    adapters since they both support disk drives.

    The i4 is a hardware RAID controller which uses a completely proprietary
    host interface that looks nothing like the PCI-IDE interface. Its host
    interface looks more like LSI's SCSI-RAID interface than a PCI-IDE interface.
    The major difference is that the i4 has an ATA/IDE bus interface rather than a
    SCSI-bus interface to its disk drives. But the host's device driver doesn't
    really see that difference so it's really not relevant in a thread about
    looking for PCI-IDE compliant controllers.

    Also, the i4 doesn't support the full ATA/ATAPI spec. Rather, it *only* supports
    the attachment of ATA/IDE disk drives. The i4 doesn't support any ATAPI devices
    (e.g., a CDROM drive) or even the old ATA/IDE version of the Zip drive, and
    nothing in the ATA/ATAPI spec which deals with host visible register interfaces,
    or error reporting to the host, or device configuration by the host, etc., is
    relevant.

    Bruce Guest