Professional Web Applications Themes

Xandros or Lycoris -- Comments? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi folks, I'm a seasoned Linux user with about 6-7 years under my belt with the Penguin, and all of this has been with Red Hat. Though I'm currently downloading Fedora Core 1 to start working with, I thought now would be the ideal time to start re-evaluating my choice of distro. I've used Debian and SuSE in the past, but I was wondering what folks thought of Lycoris and Xandros. I run several types of systems at home, and all the servers will continue to run Fedora or the like, but for my primary workstation, I've been thinking of ...

  1. #1

    Default Xandros or Lycoris -- Comments?

    Hi folks,

    I'm a seasoned Linux user with about 6-7 years under my belt with the
    Penguin, and all of this has been with Red Hat. Though I'm currently
    downloading Fedora Core 1 to start working with, I thought now would
    be the ideal time to start re-evaluating my choice of distro.

    I've used Debian and SuSE in the past, but I was wondering what folks
    thought of Lycoris and Xandros. I run several types of systems at
    home, and all the servers will continue to run Fedora or the like, but
    for my primary workstation, I've been thinking of Xandros or Lycoris.

    These distros have always been in the mix, but it wasn't until I read
    their review in PC Magazine that I actually started giving them
    serious thought. BTW, for anyone who read this article in PC
    Magazine, curious as to why they didn't include Slack. BUt that's
    another topic.

    So, anyone using these two distros? If so, comments? I guess apt and
    yum work fine, plus what about driver support or following standards?

    Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions. Also, please... no
    comments saying 'switch to SuSE' or 'switch to debian' or the like.
    I'm very happy with Red Hat and I'm sure Fedora will satisfy me.. but
    I'm very curious about these other two distros.

    Alex.
    Alex Guest

  2. Moderated Post

    Default Re: Xandros or Lycoris -- Comments?

    Removed by Administrator
    mjt Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. #3

    I have Lycoris Amethyst Release 3 on one of my machines.
    Very easy to install. Very easy to use. Works on my home network. I
    installed LinNeighborhood so I can see my share on the WinXP machines. I
    setup DHCP so my router gives it an IP address and I can surf the 'net and
    get e-mail no problem.

    Lycoris could easiliy be "your grandmothers OS" if she wants to surf the
    'net, get e-mail and
    type doents. The one thing you can't do is run Windows programs.

    "Alex" <com> wrote in message

    Eric Guest

  4. #4

    Alex wrote:

    Driver support is a non-issue, particularly if you're willing and able to
    recompile your kernel yourself. Although distributions do vary slightly
    in what drivers they ship with, they all use the Linux kernel, and that's
    where most drivers reside, so a recompile (possibly preceded by a patch)
    should do the job. Similar comments apply to non-kernel drivers (in
    XFree86, Ghostscript, or SANE, for instance). Of course, if you've got
    some piece of exotic hardware and don't want to recompile the kernel,
    that's another matter. In that case, consult the distributions' hardware
    compatibility pages or post details to get real advice.

    As to Lycoris and Xandros specifically, I've not used either one
    extensively. I did muck with Lycoris about a year and a half ago, and I
    have some even earlier experience with Xandros's predecessor, Corel
    Linux. The ancient nature of my experience is, of course, a big huge
    honking caveat to my comments. Pressing on, though.... With the versions
    I used, both suffered from a problem that might be called "configuration
    arrogance:" They try to set everything up automatically, and they mostly
    succeed; however, if they DON'T succeed, they make it very hard to
    correct the problem. Their automatic tools may overwrite any manual
    corrections you might make to the configuration files, for instance, so
    you've got to track down those tools and disable or reconfigure them.
    Many Linux distributions have been heading towards this particular cliff,
    but at the time I used them, both Lycoris and Corel had fallen off it.
    Then too, perhaps my hardware was just weird and gave the distributions
    too much of a challenge.

    Aside from the configuration arrogance, both of these distributions looked
    like they were aiming for the desktop market, and if the configuration
    tools got things right, they might be reasonable for that market. If
    you've got 6-7 years of Linux experience, though, you're likely to get
    tired of the constant hand-holding. I'd guess that SUSE, Mandrake,
    Debian, and Slackware would be better candidates for a new distribution
    if you're looking to switch.

    FWIW, I've got a Web page devoted to Linux distributions at
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/distribs/. It's got my comments on Lycoris, but
    my experience with Corel was so long ago that I've removed that
    information from it. Information on most other distributions is more
    recent. FWIW, I'm currently running SUSE 8.1, Slackware 9.1, Mandrake
    9.1, Fedora 1.0, and Debian 3.0 on various systems. Each has its place.
    I'm giving Fedora a try as my main productivity system for a while, and
    so far I like it better than its recent Red Hat predecessors. I also like
    Debian a lot, but for reasons related to my hardware and my specific
    needs, it's on a secondary system.

    --
    Rod Smith, com
    http://www.rodsbooks.com

  5. #5

    com (Alex) wrote in message news:<google.com>...
    I've been thinking of Xandros or Lycoris.

    I used a pre-release of Lycoris a year or two ago, back when it was
    still called Redmond Linux. It was a fairly good distro, definitely
    ahead of its time. Installation is a no-brainer (back then it took
    about half an hour and a few mouse clicks); and it was pretty stable,
    though not as much as RedHat or Slackware.

    I recently purchased the "official" version of Lycoris, but I haven't
    been able to use it yet due to a bootloader issue I'm still trying to
    figure out. Installation looks almost identical, though (perhaps the
    GUI is a bit fancier); and judging from the screenshots on their
    website, they've gotten more third-party support and have included
    quite a few more applications. I think it'll be pretty interesting.
    Nick Guest