Professional Web Applications Themes

XCode and Software Update - Mac Programming

Is XCode (installed from Panther CD #4) and the doentation something that can be updated with Software Update? Or am I required to go to the ADC site to get updates? I'm wondering because I believe some of the HTML doentation has been updated on Apple's site, but I read what is on my HD. I can't rely on having an Internet connection at all times. -- One Emacs to rule them all. One Emacs to find them, One Emacs to take commands and to the keystrokes bind them, All other programming languages wish they were Lisp....

  1. #1

    Default XCode and Software Update

    --
    One Emacs to rule them all. One Emacs to find them,
    One Emacs to take commands and to the keystrokes bind them,

    All other programming languages wish they were Lisp.
    David Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: XCode and Software Update

    In article <com>, David Steuber
    <net> wrote:

    Your choice: it showed up in my Software Update this afternoon (I
    having missed yesterday's opportunity) but it is also available at the
    developer site for download. I don't think it will matter which course
    you choose as to what doentation you will have on your local hard
    drive and what you will need to look at at the Apple site.

    Spence
    James Guest

  3. #3

    James Spencer <net> writes:

    > Your choice: it showed up in my Software Update this afternoon (I
    > having missed yesterday's opportunity) but it is also available at the
    > developer site for download. I don't think it will matter which course
    > you choose as to what doentation you will have on your local hard
    > drive and what you will need to look at at the Apple site.[/ref]

    OK, XCode 1.1 showed up in my Software Update today. The
    doentation on the Apple site is newer than what I have on my local
    drive. Maybe they are trying to conserve bandwidth. It would still
    be nice to have my local copy of the doentation updated.

  4. #4

    In article <com>,
    David Steuber <net> wrote:

    The doentation is constantly updated. Every week, a few of
    the HTML pages on Apple's site get minor changes. However, the
    doentation updates are not constantly fed back into Apple's
    package called 'The Developer Tools' that frequently. Generally
    there's a developer update only to cure significant bugs and for
    new versions of the software.

    Simon Guest

  5. #5

    <net> wrote:

    > > Your choice: it showed up in my Software Update this afternoon (I
    > > having missed yesterday's opportunity) but it is also available at the
    > > developer site for download. I don't think it will matter which course
    > > you choose as to what doentation you will have on your local hard
    > > drive and what you will need to look at at the Apple site.[/ref]
    >
    > OK, XCode 1.1 showed up in my Software Update today. The
    > doentation on the Apple site is newer than what I have on my local
    > drive. Maybe they are trying to conserve bandwidth. It would still
    > be nice to have my local copy of the doentation updated.[/ref]

    As it turns out, it does matter where you get it and what you get. The
    Software Update package ONLY updates xCode and some other files which
    necessarily must also be updated to use the new xCode. It doesn't
    update everything. In particular there is a new Interface Builder and
    some other things as well. At the moment, the only way that I've found
    to get these is to download the CD segments: there are something like
    23 or 24 individual downloads of 30 megs each. You have to have the
    all for any of them to be of any value. The update that the CD image
    produces is a full update of everything. It can be applied over any
    previous version or over the 1.1 Software Update package as well. (You
    will know you have done it all when you have PB 2.4.1)

    Spence
    James Guest

  6. #6

    James Spencer wrote:

    [...]

    Where did you find out this information? I'm curious as to what
    references you used to determine this, as this is not the first I've
    heard. Not a challenge -- just an RFI.

    clvrmnky Guest

  7. #7

    In article <gbGFb.165820$uunet.ca>, clvrmnky
    <com.invalid> wrote:

    > Where did you find out this information? I'm curious as to what
    > references you used to determine this, as this is not the first I've
    > heard. Not a challenge -- just an RFI.
    >[/ref]

    Initially, I learned it from the "official" xCode mailing list where
    there is a rather rancorous discussion going on over the naming of
    these updates and how they were made available. Then I actually did
    the download of the segments to create the CD and installed it. I had
    previously done the Software Update update and saw what was different
    after the second update.
    James Guest

  8. #8

    In article <com>, David Steuber
    <net> wrote:

    Xcode.app itself is being updated via Software Update, first with Xcode
    1.0.1 and now with Xcode 1.1.

    However, the Xcode Tools including developer docs aren't being updated
    via Software Update. So if you want the full tool suite update that
    was just released, you'll have to download a new disk image from the
    ADC site.

    Since pretty much everyone will want the full suite updated rather than
    just Xcode.app, I think this strategy is kind of, well, lame:

    <http://www.livejournal.com/users/chanson/77922.html>

    Apple doesn't regularly update the doentation that's installed with
    the Mac OS X Developer Tools, unfortunately. I really wish they would
    do that too.

    Fortunately the new Xcode 1.1 suite does contain updated docs. You can
    tell because the NSController version of the Currency Converter
    tutorial is correct now (it covers implementing +[Converter initialize]
    to send change notifications for a dependent key).

    -- Chris

    --
    Chris Hanson <com>
    bDistributed.com, Inc.

  9. #9

    Chris Hanson <com> writes:

    OK, I've found the Xcode_Tools_1.1 dir on ADC and am getting it now.
    What do I do to assemble the parts into a CD image? Also, I would
    like to burn to CD so I have a backup of this. This is a lengthy
    download over my connection.

    I'm not sure I like the way Safari and Finder conspire together to
    make the FTP site seem like a mounted directory. Perhaps I just have
    to get used to this way of doing things. I'm used to using the
    command line FTP client in Linux. Getting a Finder window and doing
    'Select All' and then draging to another Finder window to 'copy' the
    files is just weird.

    On another topic, I've gone through the Xcode tutorial and am in the
    process of doing my first toy application with Xcode (not the
    Converter app, that is just too dull). There is something of a steep
    learning curve here. I am glad I didn't try to do this in Emacs
    although I am not a huge fan of the Xcode editor (unless it has hidden
    features that can make it a bit smarter about things like
    auto-indenting which it doesn't seem to know how to undo when I type
    in the '}' to end a block like both Emacs and Vi know how to handle).
    All those files that are genned by Xcode are a blessing. Not to
    mention the ability to get help with option-double-click.

  10. #10

    In article <com>,
    David Steuber <net> wrote:

    > OK, I've found the Xcode_Tools_1.1 dir on ADC and am getting it now.
    > What do I do to assemble the parts into a CD image?[/ref]

    Nothing. Double-click on the first segment and it will mount, as long as all the
    segments are in the same folder.

    Use Disk Utilities (in Utilities)

    If you want an FTP client, you should feel free to use one. Fetch is the one I
    work on. (<http://www.fetchsoftworks.com>)

    hth

    meeroh

    Miro Guest

  11. #11

    Miro Jurisic <org> writes:

    > > OK, I've found the Xcode_Tools_1.1 dir on ADC and am getting it now.
    > > What do I do to assemble the parts into a CD image?[/ref]
    >
    > Nothing. Double-click on the first segment and it will mount, as long as all the
    > segments are in the same folder.[/ref]

    Found that out. Too easy. I was expecting to have to cat the
    segments together or something.

    > Use Disk Utilities (in Utilities)[/ref]

    I'll have to remember that. When I stuck in a blank CD I let it open
    in Finder on a hunch. I then copied the entire contents of the
    mounted disk image over to the CD Finder window. Then I burned the
    CD from Finder. Again, too easy. I'm not used to things being like
    that. That isn't how Unix is supposed to be! Or perhaps it is.

    I also see that I can create disk images with Disk Utilities. That
    saves me a question in the future. Thanks.

    > If you want an FTP client, you should feel free to use one. Fetch is the one I
    > work on. (<http://www.fetchsoftworks.com>)[/ref]

    I'm actually happy with the command line FTP client. Although I will
    admit that for large directory listings it would be nice to have a
    'less' style pager and I do miss the shell style file name completion.

    I was just surprised that I was kicked into an FTP Finder window when
    I clicked the "download" button on the ADC page. I imagine I will
    get used to that though. I'm just uncertain of the wisdom of making
    remote directories, especially via FTP, look exactly like any local
    directory. Perhaps it is a better way to do things. I assume Apple
    paid someone to do focus studies on usability.

    Back to the topic of Xcode Software Update vs downloading the
    complete Xcode 1.1 release from ADC, I would like to state my
    opinion. I think Apple should have put everything in Software
    Update. Since they didn't, I think it is worth getting the entire
    Xcode 1.1 release. It's not just the updated Interface Builder and
    doentation that you miss out on with Software Update. There are
    some other things in there as well. For example, if you are an
    OpenGL programmer, there are a couple of updated tools that could be
    useful to you when it comes to profiling your application.

    Ironically, Apple recomends that you get the full 1.1 download.
    Perhaps forcing you to sign up for the free ADC membership in order
    to be able to do that has some value to Apple.

    Did I mention that I like Xcode? It is a very good move for Apple to
    provide this software with their opperating system. It makes it so
    much easier for third parties to create software for the Mac OS.

  12. #12

    In article <com>,
    David Steuber <net> wrote:

    I agree that it would be nice if Apple did that with Xcode, but there are valid
    practical reasons why they didn't; for example, the bandwidth consumer by Xcode
    software update competes directly with bandwidth available for OS and app
    software updates. Likewise for disk space, though I imagine that's less of an
    issue. I think that it was helpful of them to post just the app update, as it
    fixed a number of serious bugs, which I would have wanted fixed even if I didn't
    get the rest of the toolset. What I think is annoying is that both the app and
    the entire package are called Xcode, so there's a lot of confusion.

    meeroh

    Miro Guest