Professional Web Applications Themes

Xcode extensibility? - Mac Programming

Can Xcode be extended to work with other programming languages such as Python? Or for that matter, can AppleScript Studio (which I have not looked at yet)? From what I have seen so far, Xcode simply generates code and other files for building a project and creating an application bundle. GCC and GDB are backends. Python (Ruby, Perl, etc) can easily have Carbon modules made (if they don't already) and perhaps even Cocoa bridges. It would be nice to have additional language choices without having to just do it all with Emacs and command line tools. -- One Emacs to ...

  1. #1

    Default Xcode extensibility?

    Can Xcode be extended to work with other programming languages such
    as Python? Or for that matter, can AppleScript Studio (which I have
    not looked at yet)?

    From what I have seen so far, Xcode simply generates code and other

    --
    One Emacs to rule them all. One Emacs to find them,
    One Emacs to take commands and to the keystrokes bind them,

    All other programming languages wish they were Lisp.
    David Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Xcode extensibility?

    In article <com>,
    David Steuber <net> wrote:

    Open an Xcode project with a native target, and get info on that target.
    There's a "Rules" section which has a list of rules for what to do with
    what kinds of files. You can define custom files to match (extensions)
    and you can give it a custom script to handle those files. I've never
    actually *used* it, and I have no idea how to write such a custom
    script, but it seems to me that this is the place to look.
    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    Michael Ash <com> writes:

    > Open an Xcode project with a native target, and get info on that target.
    > There's a "Rules" section which has a list of rules for what to do with
    > what kinds of files. You can define custom files to match (extensions)
    > and you can give it a custom script to handle those files. I've never
    > actually *used* it, and I have no idea how to write such a custom
    > script, but it seems to me that this is the place to look.[/ref]

    Hmmm. Interesting. I'll have to give that a look.

    It would be very nice to be able to embed Python into an OS X app and
    write part of that app in Python with all the bells and whistles
    available for debugging. (given that programming is the act of
    inserting bugs into code or creating them from scratch.)

  4. #4

    In article <com>,
    David Steuber <net> wrote:

    I don't think you'll get debugging support no matter what you do. The
    debugger only does C and friends, and Java as far as I know. It can
    probably be made to work with things that compile to C, but Python seems
    to have its own debugger that Xcode wouldn't know about.
    Michael Guest

  5. #5

    In article <com>,
    David Steuber <net> wrote:

    This is easily done, thanks to the magic of PyObjC, which is a bridge
    between Python and Cocoa.

    See http://pyobjc.sourceforge.net/

    Since the framework version of Python is standard with 10.3, it's
    trivial to embed in your own program. If you want an example, which
    just happens to be a full n python IDE, check out PyOXIDE which can
    be found on my iDisk - if you're running 10.3, just "Go:iDisk:Connect to
    other users iDisk" and type in "gandreas".

    Otherwise, it can be found on:

    http://homepage.mac.com/gandreas/FileSharing.html

    (PyOXIDE_0.5.dmg is just the IDE, PyOXIDE_Src_0.5.dmg is the source,
    though you'll need to get IDEKit_0.1.0d1.dmg, which is the source for an
    open-sourced (GPL) framework that provides things you'd need for an IDE,
    like syntax coloring editors, popup functions, etc...)
    Glenn Guest

  6. #6

    PyOXIDE is beautiful, but I must (as usual) be missing something.
    I don't see a run command, not for the file I am editing, nor for the
    Interactive Window.
    Jon Guest

  7. #7

    David Steuber wrote:

    These guys have integrated Python into Mac OS X beyond your wildest dreams:

    http://pyobjc.sourceforge.net/

    -jcr
    John Guest