Professional Web Applications Themes

XD vs. SD cards - Photography

Yet another battle for media card supremacy. With Smartmedia finally dieing off, it looks as if these too will do battle. Why did another sub-mini card standard arise? In your opinion, which of the two will succeed? Just curious. I knew these cards were available, but I don't know much about them. bg...

  1. #1

    Default XD vs. SD cards

    Yet another battle for media card supremacy. With Smartmedia finally dieing
    off, it looks as if these too will do battle.

    Why did another sub-mini card standard arise? In your opinion, which of the
    two will succeed?
    Just curious. I knew these cards were available, but I don't know much about
    them.
    bg

    BG250 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: XD vs. SD cards

    "BG250" <NOamgspamdonet.com> wrote in message
    > Yet another battle for media card supremacy. With Smartmedia finally
    dieing
    > off, it looks as if these too will do battle.
    >
    > Why did another sub-mini card standard arise?
    Simple, because its more profitable for the xD card vendors.
    > In your opinion, which of the
    > two will succeed?
    Both may coexist, but if one goes it will definitely be xD, since SD is also
    used in other equipment, such as PDAs (and maybe phones ???), so its got a
    bigger market even if you discount cameras.

    --
    Tumbleweed

    newsgroups)

    Tumbleweed Guest

  3. #3

    Actually, I have heard that the XD cards will allow smaller digital devices
    in the future.

    --
    Thom Tapp - Kingston TN
    Church of the Covered Dish Cartoons
    "Tumbleweed" <tumbleweednewstheobvioushotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:3f12d820$0$18760$afc38c87news.easynet.co.uk. ..
    > "BG250" <NOamgspamdonet.com> wrote in message
    > > Yet another battle for media card supremacy. With Smartmedia finally
    > dieing
    > > off, it looks as if these too will do battle.
    > >
    > > Why did another sub-mini card standard arise?
    >
    > Simple, because its more profitable for the xD card vendors.
    > > In your opinion, which of the
    > > two will succeed?
    >
    > Both may coexist, but if one goes it will definitely be xD, since SD is
    also
    > used in other equipment, such as PDAs (and maybe phones ???), so its got a
    > bigger market even if you discount cameras.
    >
    > --
    > Tumbleweed
    >
    > Remove theobvious before replying (but no email reply necessary to
    > newsgroups)

    Thom Tapp Guest

  4. #4

    "BG250" <NOamgspamdonet.com> wrote in message
    > Yet another battle for media card supremacy. With Smartmedia finally
    dieing
    > off, it looks as if these too will do battle.
    >
    > Why did another sub-mini card standard arise? In your opinion, which of
    the
    > two will succeed?
    > Just curious. I knew these cards were available, but I don't know much
    about
    > them.
    > bg
    SD already has made major in-roads into many types of devices, from cameras
    and PDAs to MP3 players. xD Has been embraced by Olympus--which I take as a
    bad sign. Olympus kept the dying Smartmedia cards on life support FAR too
    long, and...like Sony...tried to build dependance. It hasn't worked for
    Olympus. Sony is still trying to make their memory stick deal fly, though
    they blew it with their own 128MB capacity blunder--requiring them to revamp
    their card.

    I predict that xD will die...if for no other reason than it's frightening
    resemblance to Smartmedia in both manufacturer support and actual apearance.

    Mark M Guest

  5. #5

    Hi,

    Both OLympus and Fuji use XD. I have a Fuji A303 for grabshots and the XD card
    seems faster than my CF card in the Minolta D7Hi.

    I guess time will tell but definitely the XD card will allow for smaller
    cameras.
    Rosita

    HRosita Guest

  6. #6

    "HRosita" <hrositaaol.comnet> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Both OLympus and Fuji use XD. I have a Fuji A303 for grabshots and the XD
    card
    > seems faster than my CF card in the Minolta D7Hi.
    >
    > I guess time will tell but definitely the XD card will allow for smaller
    > cameras.
    The question was comparing XD and Secure Digital (SD)...not CF.

    Mark M Guest

  7. #7

    John Navas wrote:
    > [POSTED TO rec.photo.digital - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    > In <vh5kn8mnv5s198corp.supernews.com> on Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:58:36 -0400,
    > "BG250" <NOamgspamdonet.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Yet another battle for media card supremacy. With Smartmedia finally dieing
    >>off, it looks as if these too will do battle.
    >>
    >>Why did another sub-mini card standard arise? In your opinion, which of the
    >>two will succeed?
    >>Just curious. I knew these cards were available, but I don't know much about
    >>them.
    >

    > XD is yet another silly, unnecessary format, this time from the folks that
    > brought you [drum roll] the not-so-smart SmartMedia. "Fool me once, shame on
    > you; fool me twice, shame on me!"

    While I am not a fan of the 'controllerless' cards, the xD card has much
    to recommend it to users of very small devices.
    For a normal size digital camera, however, I would much rather have CF.

    Ron Hunter Guest

  8. #8

    In <gTMQa.76$QE4.9622730newssvr14.news.prodigy.com > on Tue, 15 Jul 2003
    06:08:12 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <mikej1ix.netcom.com> wrote:
    >In the end it doesn't really matter. You'll be able to buy memory in any of
    >the formats long after the camera has been dramatically surpassed in
    >usefulness... the argument that a camera utilizing the "wrong" format will
    >somehow become an albatross just doesn't hold water.
    I beg to differ. I had a digicam that took only 5V SmartMedia cards, and
    finally got rid of it, even though the camera still worked fine, because cards
    were so hard to find. I won't make that mistake again. My current camera
    uses Compact Flash.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

  9. #9

    In <iXOQa.12291$2s2.945fe12.atl2.webusenet.com> on Tue, 15 Jul 2003 03:38:14
    -0500, Ron Hunter <rphuntercharter.net> wrote:
    >John Navas wrote:
    >> XD is yet another silly, unnecessary format, this time from the folks that
    >> brought you [drum roll] the not-so-smart SmartMedia. "Fool me once, shame on
    >> you; fool me twice, shame on me!"
    >
    >While I am not a fan of the 'controllerless' cards, the xD card has much
    >to recommend it to users of very small devices.
    MiniSD is as good or better, while being both electrically and software
    compatible with the existing SD standard.