Professional Web Applications Themes

XDMCP application launching... - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

This is probably off-topic, but can't really find a newsgroup this may be appropriate to. I'm wanting to integrate many of the apps on my Linux box into my wife's computer (GIMP, gaim, gftp, among others) and I'm looking for the best way to do it. It's a Windows ME machine, 1ghz processor, 320 megs of ram. She can dual-boot right now, into Mandrake 9.1, but she uses some software (a number of different apps) that won't run under Wine... Anyway, I've been experimenting on my desktop PC with Cygwin and Xfree86, and SSH X11 tunneling, and it works great. ...

  1. #1

    Default XDMCP application launching...

    This is probably off-topic, but can't really find a newsgroup this may be
    appropriate to.

    I'm wanting to integrate many of the apps on my Linux box into my wife's
    computer (GIMP, gaim, gftp, among others) and I'm looking for the best way to
    do it.

    It's a Windows ME machine, 1ghz processor, 320 megs of ram. She can dual-boot
    right now, into Mandrake 9.1, but she uses some software (a number of
    different apps) that won't run under Wine...

    Anyway, I've been experimenting on my desktop PC with Cygwin and Xfree86, and
    SSH X11 tunneling, and it works great. Using the (undoented?) -multiwindow
    option for Cygwin's XF86 build I can run gaim, gimp, etc. fully integrated with
    my current Windows apps, even down to the taskbar entries.

    I'd like to do this on her computer, but without having to establish an SSH
    connection and launching them from the command line. Currently, the XFree
    server launches with her computer's bootup. Ultimately, my goal is to have a
    listing in her Windows Program menu that can launch different Linux apps via
    the X server when clicked.

    Does that make sense?

    Brian K
    Brian Keener Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: XDMCP application launching...

    Brian Keener <keenerbroleplayga.org> wrote:
    > This is probably off-topic, but can't really find a newsgroup this may be
    > appropriate to.
    > I'm wanting to integrate many of the apps on my Linux box into my wife's
    > computer (GIMP, gaim, gftp, among others) and I'm looking for the best way to
    > do it.
    > It's a Windows ME machine, 1ghz processor, 320 megs of ram. She can dual-boot
    > right now, into Mandrake 9.1, but she uses some software (a number of
    > different apps) that won't run under Wine...
    > Does that make sense?
    Not really, even if perhaps doable, I'd simply buy VMware[tm], and run the few
    apps from Linux within VMware. Should be much easier, if you don't mind spending
    a few bucks.

    --
    Michael Heiming

    inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM
    Michael Heiming Guest

  3. #3

    "Brian Keener" <keenerbroleplayga.org> wrote in message
    news:slrnbgj4lu.cuf.keenerbserver.roleplayga.org. ..
    > Anyway, I've been experimenting on my desktop PC with Cygwin and Xfree86,
    and
    > SSH X11 tunneling, and it works great. Using the
    (undoented?) -multiwindow
    > option for Cygwin's XF86 build I can run gaim, gimp, etc. fully integrated
    with
    > my current Windows apps, even down to the taskbar entries.
    >
    > I'd like to do this on her computer, but without having to establish an
    SSH
    > connection and launching them from the command line. Currently, the XFree
    > server launches with her computer's bootup. Ultimately, my goal is to
    have a
    > listing in her Windows Program menu that can launch different Linux apps
    via
    > the X server when clicked.
    >
    > Does that make sense?
    >
    > Brian K
    You should be able to do this with a simple batch file that uses SSH to log
    in and run a single command. If you combine that with passphrases, you can
    even do it without prompting for a password if you wanted to.

    Using command line options you could even just set up one batch file and
    pass the program you want to run to it.

    --
    William Hooper

    All computers wait at the same speed

    William Hooper Guest

  4. #4

    In article <slrnbglr65.dfe.keenerbserver.homenet>, Brian Keener wrote:
    > In article <o89pt-j9n.ln1snowball.private.whooper.org>, William Hooper wrote:
    >> "Brian Keener" <keenerbroleplayga.org> wrote in message
    >> news:slrnbgj4lu.cuf.keenerbserver.roleplayga.org. ..
    >>> Anyway, I've been experimenting on my desktop PC with Cygwin and Xfree86,
    >> and
    >>> SSH X11 tunneling, and it works great. Using the
    >> (undoented?) -multiwindow
    >>> option for Cygwin's XF86 build I can run gaim, gimp, etc. fully integrated
    >> with
    >>> my current Windows apps, even down to the taskbar entries.
    >>>
    >>> I'd like to do this on her computer, but without having to establish an
    >> SSH
    >>> connection and launching them from the command line. Currently, the XFree
    >>> server launches with her computer's bootup. Ultimately, my goal is to
    >> have a
    >>> listing in her Windows Program menu that can launch different Linux apps
    >> via
    >>> the X server when clicked.
    >>>
    >>> Does that make sense?
    >>>
    >>> Brian K
    >>
    >> You should be able to do this with a simple batch file that uses SSH to log
    >> in and run a single command. If you combine that with passphrases, you can
    >> even do it without prompting for a password if you wanted to.
    >>
    >> Using command line options you could even just set up one batch file and
    >> pass the program you want to run to it.
    >>
    > Good idea... I'll have to give that a shot.
    >
    > Brian K
    For anyone who's interested, I was able to get this to work perfectly,
    using a combination of the SSH program Putty and associated utilities,
    and a four line MS Visual Basic Script.

    I created an SSH connection with Putty using a RSA key, and use
    Pageant to keep the passphrase for the key pair. I tell Putty to
    launch a different "remote command" for each app I want to launch, by
    creating different sessions for each app, giving them an appropriate
    name. The Putty session called "evolution" has "evolution" specified as the
    remote command.

    Pageant is set to run each and every time the computer boots, and
    prompts for the passphrase, so everything hinges on entering this
    passphrase on bootup. Without pageant running, nothing works...

    Then, a VBS script launches the Plink utility in a hidden window for
    the session I created. Each session has its own VBS script, tailored
    for that session and named appropriately.

    The .vbs script I use is as follows:

    Dim oShell
    Set oShell = WScript.CreateObject ("WSCript.shell")
    Return = oShell.run ("c:\progra~1\putty\plink.exe evolution ",0,true)
    Set oShell = Nothing

    Which runs Plink in the background.

    I can drag that .vbs script anywhere onto my desktop or start menu
    that I desire, and it acts just like a normal application.

    Ultimately, what I have is a set of icons on my desktop, that when
    executed launch a different Linux app. No SSH logins, no command
    prompts involved. I've already mapped our home directories to their
    Linux counterparts, so any files she sees in My Doents on her
    desktop appear under Doents on the Server, and she can edit any of
    the files without having to manually copy them across to the server/etc.

    This is pretty much the perfect environment for my needs. Now I'll
    kill XDMCP on the server (cause I don't need it anymore) and we'll be
    good to go...

    I _LOVE_ Linux.

    Brian K
    Brian Keener Guest