Professional Web Applications Themes

XDMCP from solaris to linux - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

ooh, getting warmer! The only problem is, that when I run the command you gave me the second server takes over my root window. I'd like to be able to bring up a solaris login screen on my redhat machine and still be able to view my redhat gnome desktop. I'm I asking for cake and eat it too? Maybe I have to go with vnc, anyone know how well vnc would be able to handle this? I really don't want to use vnc, I would like to minimize the number of layers. Thanks. -arielc Ian Northeast wrote: > ArielC ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: XDMCP from solaris to linux

    Ian Northeast wrote:
    > ArielC wrote:
    >
    >>How do I (remotely) bring up a solaris login screen from my redhat 9 machine?
    >>
    >>Basically I want to just be able to open up a gnome-terminal and be able
    >>make an xdmcp connection to a remote solaris machine and launch a cde login
    >>screen on my redhat machine. Or just simply rsh into my solaris machine
    >>and xhost back a solaris welcome screen.
    >>
    >>I'm using gdm and redhat 9
    >>Remote machine is solaris 9.
    >

    > X -query <solaris> -once :1
    >
    > from the command line should start a second X server with an XDMCP
    > connection to your Solaris machine. This will be available on
    > ctrl-alt-F8 unless you've changed the default TTYs.
    >
    > Regards, Ian
    ArielC Guest

  2. #2

    ArielC wrote:
    > Ian Northeast wrote:
    > > X -query <solaris> -once :1
    > >
    > > from the command line should start a second X server with an XDMCP
    > > connection to your Solaris machine. This will be available on
    > > ctrl-alt-F8 unless you've changed the default TTYs.
    > ooh, getting warmer!
    >
    > The only problem is, that when I run the command you gave me the second
    > server takes over my root window. I'd like to be able to bring up a
    > solaris login screen on my redhat machine and still be able to view my
    > redhat gnome desktop. I'm I asking for cake and eat it too?
    >
    > Maybe I have to go with vnc, anyone know how well vnc would be able to
    > handle this? I really don't want to use vnc, I would like to minimize the
    > number of layers.
    Please don't top post, it makes replying extremely difficult. You do not
    even have the usual excuse as you are not using a brain dead
    almost-newsreader like most people who do this. Please don't copy your
    reply to me by email either. Email should only be used to reply to a
    usenet post if the subject has become off topic, you have something
    personal to say, or you are invited to. None is the case here.

    The second X server does not take over anything. I am not sure what you
    mean by "root window". The second X server occupies the next available
    virtual terminal, normally, as I said, available on ctrl-alt-F8. The
    original one is still there on ctrl-alt-F7 (by default). You can flip
    between them with these key combinations.
    It is possible to change these assignments by altering the number of
    TTYs started in /etc/inittab in which case they move, but I assume you
    have not done this.

    If you want your CDE desktop in a window then the only way I know to do
    this, apart from starting up a VMware virtual machine just to be an X
    server, which would be excessive, is VNC.

    If someone else knows another way to do this please post it.

    PS I rarely bother with this myself, I am not over fond of CDE despite
    having lived with it for years (I have not used Solaris for very long
    but I have AIX, and this uses it too). I just ssh to the Solaris/AIX
    machine with X tunnelling enabled and run my X apps over this. Solaris 9
    comes with ssh as I assume you know, as do all recent Linux distros. It
    is usually necessary to enable the X tunnel explicitly at both ends.

    Regards, Ian
    Ian Northeast Guest

  3. #3

    > X -query <solaris> -once :1
    >
    > from the command line should start a second X server with an XDMCP
    > connection to your Solaris machine. This will be available on
    > ctrl-alt-F8 unless you've changed the default TTYs.

    Hi this worked for me when i tried to access solaris from linux.

    However this does not work when i try to access another linux machine.. Is
    there anything else that i need to do?
    Shank
    > Regards, Ian

    Shashank Khanvilkar Guest

  4. #4

    In article <3EFB300F.9080301sun.com>,
    ArielC <frosbytesun.com> writes:

    [Fixing top-posting]
    > Ian Northeast wrote:
    >> X -query <solaris> -once :1
    >>
    >> from the command line should start a second X server with an XDMCP
    >> connection to your Solaris machine. This will be available on
    >> ctrl-alt-F8 unless you've changed the default TTYs.
    >
    > ooh, getting warmer!
    >
    > The only problem is, that when I run the command you gave me the second
    > server takes over my root window. I'd like to be able to bring up a
    > solaris login screen on my redhat machine and still be able to view my
    > redhat gnome desktop.
    Actually, it's not taken over your first root window; it's taken over a
    NEW virtual terminal. As Ian said (and in more detail in a subsequent
    post), Hitting <Ctrl-Alt-F7> and <Ctrl-Alt-F8> will switch between them.

    That said, if you want to be able to see both desktops at once, there's at
    least one (and I believe two, and perhaps more) other way to go about it.
    There are still more options that don't fit your precise description of
    what you want to do, but that might suit your actual needs even better.
    > Maybe I have to go with vnc, anyone know how well vnc would be able to
    > handle this? I really don't want to use vnc, I would like to minimize the
    > number of layers.
    Using VNC is certainly a possibility. I've got an article in the March
    issue of Linux magazine that describes how to do this with Linux. It's
    available online at:

    [url]http://www.linux-mag.com/2003-03/guru_01.html[/url]

    In theory, the process should be pretty similar for Solaris, but I've not
    tried it, so I can't guarantee you won't hit any snags. When this is set
    up, you should be able to open a VNC session, see an XDMCP login prompt,
    and then get your usual Solaris desktop environment within a window on the
    Linux system.

    I believe there's a Linux X server that operates its environment within a
    window, but I don't recall the details. If you could track this down, you
    could use it, presumably with options similar to those Ian provided, to
    get your Solaris XDMCP login screen. The effect would be very much like
    using VNC, as described in my Linux Magazine piece.

    Another option is to use your regular Linux X server session to handle X
    clients (user programs) on the Solaris system. One easy way to do this is
    to use SSH to log onto the Solaris system. You may need to pass the -X
    parameter:

    $ ssh -X <solaris-box>
    % <X-program-name>

    You should then see a window for <X-program-name> appear on your screen.
    This method won't give you your full Solaris desktop environment, just
    access to specific programs, but it may be all you need. One advantage is
    that this method allows easier cut-and-paste between Linux and Solaris
    programs. You can even use a method like this to launch specific Solaris
    programs from your Linux desktop. For instance, create a desktop icon or
    menu entry that calls SSH with options like this:

    /usr/bin/ssh -X <solaris-box> /path/to/executable

    This method works best if you configure SSH for a no-password-required
    login. If you must type a password, this will be awkward at best when
    used as a desktop icon or the like.

    If you need more details, post more information about your specific needs.
    You can also find lots of information in various online and printed
    resources, such as the VNC and SSH Web sites. My _Advanced Linux
    Networking_ book ([url]http://www.rodsbooks.com/adv-net/[/url]) includes an entire
    chapter on GUI remote access methods. I also cover them in a bit less
    detail in my _Linux Power Tools_ ([url]http://www.rodsbooks.com/powertools/[/url]),
    which should be shipping about now, although I see Amazon doesn't yet have
    it in stock.

    --
    Rod Smith, [email]rodsmithrodsbooks.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.rodsbooks.com[/url]

  5. #5

    In article <bdfuof$kpe$1newsx.cc.uic.edu>,
    "Shashank Khanvilkar" <shashankevl.uic.edu> writes:

    >> X -query <solaris> -once :1
    >>
    >> from the command line should start a second X server with an XDMCP
    >> connection to your Solaris machine. This will be available on
    >> ctrl-alt-F8 unless you've changed the default TTYs.
    >
    > Hi this worked for me when i tried to access solaris from linux.
    >
    > However this does not work when i try to access another linux machine.. Is
    > there anything else that i need to do?
    > Shank
    You need to loosen the restrictions on the XDMCP server. Precisely how you
    do this depends on what XDMCP server you're using. My instructions on
    linking VNC with XDMCP, which I mentioned in another post to this thread,
    include a brief rundown of this:

    [url]http://www.linux-mag.com/2003-03/guru_02.html[/url]

    Be aware of the security risks of running an XDMCP server, though; it's
    essentially like running a Telnet server. I wouldn't recommend opening
    such access to the Internet at large. It may be OK on a private network
    behind a NAT router, or if you implement firewall rules to keep out all
    but a few systems.