Professional Web Applications Themes

Xerces Panic Error Could not load a transcoding service - Adobe Photoshop Elements

My new Photoshop Elements 2.0 apparently installed OK. When I try to run the program, a pop up appears with a "Xerces Panic Error", "Could not load a transcoding service." If I click on the "OK" button, the program aborts. If I try to use the program without clicking the OK button, the program locks. I cannot find anything on the internet that will help a non-technical person like me....

  1. #1

    Default Xerces Panic Error Could not load a transcoding service

    My new Photoshop Elements 2.0 apparently installed OK. When I try to run the program, a pop up appears with a "Xerces Panic Error", "Could not load a transcoding service." If I click on the "OK" button, the program aborts. If I try to use the program without clicking the OK button, the program locks.

    I cannot find anything on the internet that will help a non-technical person like me.
    Paul Eskildsen Guest

  2. #2

    Paul, I did a Google search on 'Xerces panic error' and it appears to be
    something that occurs when a program written in Xerces C++ language doesn't
    compile correctly. My guess is that the program didn't install cleanly, and
    you're going to need to uninstall and reinstall it. Before doing that,
    however, you might want to wait a little bit and see if anyone else on this
    forum with more knowledge than I responds to your question.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks, Chuck, for the sympathy. I've been struggling with this problem for several weeks. I have done all the usual things: Disabled Norton Anti-Virus, closed all start programs on msconfig, uninstalled, deleted all files in recycle bin, you name it. I suspect PSE 2.0 requires a particular transcoding service I don't have on my machine -- but what? Where do I get it? (I am on Win98SE)
    Paul Eskildsen Guest

  4. #4

    I'm running NAV, and have it enabled, and had no problems loading PSE2.
    JoAnn Amerson Guest

  5. #5

    JoAnn, some people can manage to run NAV and have no trouble, so you're not the only one. However, there are a lot of other people who either can't install at all with it running or don't get a clean install. I don't think anybody has ever been able to figure out the variation. My guess is there's some unknown combination of apps installed and running that causes the problem. Norton does cause trouble for a lot of Adobe products, however. If you're one of the lucky ones, celebrate!
    Beth Haney Guest

  6. #6

    For what it's worth: (PC's only. I'm completely ignorant in the MAC world.)

    Since Windows 95 and through XP Home I've strictly followed the advice you see on most installs: "Quit all running programs" or something similar.

    It's a pain and can cause problems to use task manager and selectively end programs. A better way is to follow the directions posted here (but of course for whatever software you are installing)
    for your version of Windows:

    <http://www.delorme.com/support/install.asp>

    The mapping software referenced here is about the most complex I have ever used and I've never failed to get a clean install. I use this method for everything.

    Note on NAV. I'm new to Norton. Have always used McAfee in the past. Both, or any anti-virus, can wreck an install. I think with Norton there are so many versions out there that some cause problems and some don't.

    Last advice. Be sure you get a clean uninstall before trying again. If you have software to clean up the registry of dead wood run that after the uninstall.

    Bob
    Robert F Carruth Guest

  7. #7

    I just installed Elements 2.0 (came bundled with Epson scanner), and also get the Xerces Panic Error when trying to run. The error pops up during loading of help system.

    I have seen this error before, with a completely different app: Delorme Street Atlas (I think it was ver 8.0).
    Delorme tek support told me that it was a video issue. They recommended upgrading the video drivers.
    I have a Matrox Millennium G450 Dual-Head. I tried updating the drivers that time and it did not solve the problem. When I saw the error again today I installed the latest Matrox drivers and still did not solve the problem.

    I was eventually able to get the Delorme product to run on my Dell notebook, which uses a Nvidea GeForce 2 card and there were no errors on it.

    My workstation is dual-boot with Win XP Pro and 2000 Pro. I haven't tried yet to install Elements 2 on the Win 2000.

    As I recall, the Delorme product did not work on the Win 2000 on the same PC, so I don't expect Elements to work there either.

    I had Elements 1.0 running OK, so I will go back to it, since this was a free software from Epson.

    I'll post my results with the Win2000 and the notebook installation here within the next couple of days.

    Frank
    Frank Wassner Guest