Professional Web Applications Themes

Xferring files from IISi to PC w/ Win98 or Win XP - Mac Networking

I have an old Mac IISi in the garage, with no special hardware installed (whatever it came with, plus a memory upgrade). This Saturday, as part of a home clean-out project, I would like to archive about 300 megs of files on the Mac (primarily Excel, Word, MacIntax, I think) to a PC HD. I have 2 PCs as options for the Xfer: 1 with Win 98SE and one with Win XP. I'm pretty sure I could do this via floppy, as I recall that the IISi has a superdrive, but that would be rather laborious. Can I do it ...

  1. #1

    Default Xferring files from IISi to PC w/ Win98 or Win XP

    I have an old Mac IISi in the garage, with no special hardware
    installed (whatever it came with, plus a memory upgrade). This
    Saturday, as part of a home clean-out project, I would like to archive
    about 300 megs of files on the Mac (primarily Excel, Word, MacIntax, I
    think) to a PC HD. I have 2 PCs as options for the Xfer: 1 with Win
    98SE and one with Win XP.

    I'm pretty sure I could do this via floppy, as I recall that the IISi
    has a superdrive, but that would be rather laborious. Can I do it with
    a serial cable? I do have an Iomege 100 meg zip drive for the PC's
    parallel port. Will that work on the Mac so I could I use it as a
    vehicle? Also, read something about a "null modem" -- what is that,
    where do I get it, and will it work? Other hardware options?

    What Mac and/or PC software available now should I use? I don't need
    anything fancy, but would like to give it a command and come back in a
    few hours rather than juggling floppies all day. I seem to recall
    being a registered user of WhiteKnight, if that helps.

    Any FAQs that cover this?

    Please advise!

    Thx much!

    xxxBogusemail@nowhere.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Xferring files from IISi to PC w/ Win98 or Win XP

    In article <9nqrkvgr8ll4ttvudn00q31hk78bkdg5r84ax.com>,
    [email]Bogusemailnowhere.com[/email] wrote:
    > I have an old Mac IISi in the garage, with no special hardware
    > installed (whatever it came with, plus a memory upgrade). This
    > Saturday, as part of a home clean-out project, I would like to archive
    > about 300 megs of files on the Mac (primarily Excel, Word, MacIntax, I
    > think) to a PC HD. I have 2 PCs as options for the Xfer: 1 with Win
    > 98SE and one with Win XP.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure I could do this via floppy, as I recall that the IISi
    > has a superdrive, but that would be rather laborious. Can I do it with
    > a serial cable? I do have an Iomege 100 meg zip drive for the PC's
    > parallel port. Will that work on the Mac so I could I use it as a
    > vehicle? Also, read something about a "null modem" -- what is that,
    > where do I get it, and will it work? Other hardware options?
    >
    > What Mac and/or PC software available now should I use? I don't need
    > anything fancy, but would like to give it a command and come back in a
    > few hours rather than juggling floppies all day. I seem to recall
    > being a registered user of WhiteKnight, if that helps.
    I think you have two choices, Get an Ethernet card or get a Zip drive
    with a SCSI interface.

    The problem with the Ethernet card is how are you going to find and load
    the drivers? I don't know how successful you would be trying to transfer
    the drivers via floppy disk using the PC. You would probably need a
    version of Stuffit Expander that could expand Zipped files from the PC.
    You will also need a either a crossover Ethernet cable or a hub with 2
    regular patch cables.

    Same problem with getting the drivers for the Zip drive, but if you have
    a Zip disk that has been Mac formatted in the SCSI version of the Zip
    drive and you have the drive connected, turned on and the disk in the
    drive when you boot up the Mac it will load the driver from the Zip
    disk. I've done this on a Mac SE so it should work on your II SI. The
    problem is going to be getting the properly formatted Zip disk. If you
    format it on a PC or even a Mac with a USB Zip drive it doesn't work.

    You can buy old SCSI Zip drives off eBay for about $25-$35. See if the
    seller will include Mac formatted disks with it, many do. Once you are
    done you can recoup some or all of the expense by selling it on eBay to
    someone else.

    --
    Real Email-> neoluddite0comcast.net <- replace 0 with
    Blue & White G3/400MHz MacOS 9.1, Starmax 3000/200MHz MacOS 8.6

  3. #3

    I apologize that I did not ck back with this group after a day or so.
    I ended up trying zmodem xfer over a null modem but had problems with
    xfer aborting after 30-40 files and with file overwrites, then I tried
    Conversions Plus with greater success. Tedious tho. The history of my
    plight chronicled in this usenet group, where I had cross-posted:
    comp.sys.mac.misc.

    =====