Professional Web Applications Themes

XHTML - HTML & CSS

Should I convert my doc to XHML? I am getting rather confused. I done it to a doc and then tested it at w3c and had a ton of errors, I had less errors before I started messing.Is it important to make stuff XHTML compliant? -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM! Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter [url]http://mail.giantcompany.com[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default XHTML

    Should I convert my doc to XHML?
    I am getting rather confused.
    I done it to a doc and then tested it at w3c and had a ton of errors, I had
    less errors before I started messing.Is it important to make stuff XHTML
    compliant?

    FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
    [url]http://mail.giantcompany.com[/url]

    just sum1 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: XHTML

    just sum1 wrote:
    > Should I convert my doc to XHML?
    That depends. If you want to take advantage of features that XHTML has
    but HTML4 has not, then yes. If not, then probably not. The HTML
    version is not a fashion statement, after all :-).

    > I am getting rather confused.
    > I done it to a doc and then tested it at w3c and had a ton of errors, I had
    > less errors before I started messing.
    Dreamweaver MX has quite a nifty feature that converts HTML to XHTML:
    File -> Convert -> XHTML. If you started out with a valid HTML4
    doent, the end result will be a mostly valid XHTML doent, and
    you'll have very little (if any) hand-coding to do.

    > Is it important to make stuff XHTML
    > compliant?
    If you use XHTML at all, then yes, the doent should be compliant. But
    like I mentioned above, XHTML is not better or worse than HTML4, it
    depends on the features you need.

    Matthias

    Matthias Gutfeldt Guest

  3. #3

    is it important? It depends what you're trying to do, but in general, yes
    it's worth doing. How are you attempting to do the conversion?

    Bruce Lawson
    DMXzone.com

    "just sum1" <Anonymous-Remailernowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Should I convert my doc to XHML?
    > I am getting rather confused.
    > I done it to a doc and then tested it at w3c and had a ton of errors, I
    had
    > less errors before I started messing.Is it important to make stuff XHTML
    > compliant?
    >
    > --

    > FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
    > Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter
    > [url]http://mail.giantcompany.com[/url]

    Bruce Lawson Guest

  4. #4

    Im glad you asked that...I sometimes, when opening a new file, check the box
    to bake xhtml compliant, but when I forget to do that, I get an already
    built page and go to, file- convert
    Be nice if I knew

    FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!

  5. #5

    On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 12:34:10 +0100, "just sum1"
    <Anonymous-Remailernowhere.com> wrote:
    >Im glad you asked that...I sometimes, when opening a new file, check the box
    >to bake xhtml compliant, but when I forget to do that, I get an already
    >built page and go to, file- convert
    >Be nice if I knew
    It should work either way. One thing I would suggest is that, in
    either case, you remove the XML prolog that Dreamweaver inserts at the
    top of the page:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

    That line, because it comes before the DOCTYPE, will trigger quirks
    mode in Internet Explorer. The XML prolog is suggested, but not
    required by the XHTML specs.

    Gary
    Gary White Guest

  6. #6

    >>Is it important to make stuff XHTML compliant?

    Of course, only if you want your web to be nice viewed on smaller devices.

    DREAMWORMS

    [email]dreamwormslycos.co.uk[/email]
    :: Let's cooperate to grow our portfolio ::
    dreamworms webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  7. #7

    and here's the link that I cleverly forgot
    [url]http://www.dmxzone.com/showDetail.asp?TypeId=28&NewsId=4951[/url]

  8. #8

    lol...thanx guyz

    FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Re:XHTML

    ... or if you want your stuff to be viewable on the next versions of the
    major browsers.

  10. #10

    Bugger damn paypal, I want to get that.
    So when I convert a doc into XML or XHTML.. all I have to do is delete the
    top bit and im away?

    Thanx v much for all your help guyz, You know for asking silly questions on
    most news groups I would be laughed out, I want to thank all you guyz for
    such quality help :-))))

    FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!

  12. #12

    Default Re: How do you set the width of a jump menu?

    Menyud,

    CSS!

    List boxes, do not have a width attribute, so you need to create a new style class, and set the box - width to the desired pixels.

    apply the style to your jumpmenu list box and viola!

    Si9

    Silicon9 webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  13. #13

    yes, Dreamworm is correct.

  14. #14

    Hi,

    I'm using windows 2000 & CF MX 6. I've written xhtml valid mark-up but the
    validation is being thrown out by CF converting all cfform, cfinput. When CF
    ps these tags it turns the html to uppercase which is not valid xhtml.

    Is there a way round these problems that would allow me to still use the
    cfinput & cfform tags?

    Thanks in advance.

    Richard

    Dicky Guest

  15. #15

    Hi,

    I use a javascript html area to allow users to format text when they upload
    text to my website, ie add tags <p> and <br>

    The problem is this does not generate xhtml code, and I use coldfusion to
    filter it out, as you can imagine, the filter takes ages and isn't 100%
    accurate.

    Is there a function or another way I can get the html area to produce vaild
    xhtml?

    Thanks in advance

    Mattastic Guest

  16. #16

    You might look at some wysiwyg editors like XStandard and FCKeditor to do that (Google those words).
    SteveBryant Guest