Professional Web Applications Themes

Ximian Evolution on Solaris 9 Sparc (installed but aborts) - Sun Solaris

  1. #1

    Default Ximian Evolution on Solaris 9 Sparc (installed but aborts)

    >> Congrats, lucky you! I did get the install to complete and ignored the
    > Hi again Alex,
    >
    > I didn't say it all worked: just that (at the time) I got the ld to
    > work.
    >
    > Having done that, the first time I tried the install (per the
    > instructions) it bombed because some of the things it wanted to download
    > were not signed. So I have tried a few variations and removing gnuPG
    > from my box temporarily helped because without it (and then taking the
    > unsigned variation) I can say that the install did a lot of stuff.
    >
    > As has been noted, according to its log the install failed right at the
    > end. For those interested the log entry read:
    >
    > %post scriptlet libsoup-1.99.24.0.ximian.1.4 failed status 255 Gnome 2
    > not installed
    >
    > Of course, Gnome is installed -- but hay, it even managed a core dump
    > too so it must be right.
    >
    > Nevertheless, Evolution appears to work OK on this Ultra 10. I can send,
    > receive and compose e-mail. It also loads the weather and other stuff
    > into its front page.
    >
    > However, I've not tried to get my calendar into it from Outlook; nor to
    > populate my address book as yet. Once I've done that successfully,
    > Outlook/Exchange under Windows goes into the bin.
    >[/ref]

    I know you shouldn't reply to your own posts. But I will do as a new
    posting.....

    OK I was wrong!! Evolution can send mail and load the weather and so
    forth. However, I can't read my Inbox, Calendar or Tasks. When I try, the
    results are consistent, it dies:

    ------------
    Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'evolution-1.4' received an X Window System error.
    The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
    (Details: serial 18299 error_code 8 request_code 72 minor_code 0)
    aborting...

    (process:838): Gdk-ERROR (recursed) **: The program 'evolution-1.4' received an X Window System error.
    The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
    (Details: serial 18311 error_code 8 request_code 72 minor_code 0)
    aborting...

    (process:838): Gdk-ERROR (recursed) **: The program 'evolution-1.4' received an X Window System error.
    The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
    (Details: serial 18323 error_code 8 request_code 72 minor_code 0)
    aborting...
    ------------

    And then it puts up an "I'm broke" message and dies.

    I now have a mailer that will only send mail out! However, I do know it is
    sunny in Plymouth. Classic huh?

    Any further hints gratefully received. Anyone any ideas when Sun's version
    will be out -- or Ximian's for Solaris 9 with the 8/03 version of Gnome?

    ---
    Regards
    Andy, G8TQH
    http://www.rickham.net

    Andy Guest

  2. #2

    In article <net.NOSPAM>,
    Andy McMullin <net.NOSPAM> wrote:

    The MadHatter Enterprise Linux Client (now known as Java Desktop Systems)
    is scheduled for Solaris SPARC in 1st half of 2004.

    No clue whether Evolution for Solaris SPARC from Sun will be available
    before then.

    John
    org
    John Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:59:32 +0100, Andy McMullin wrote:

    ...snip

    Did you have Solaris Gnome installed and then update with the Solaris 9
    08/03 update? I did just that and I wonder if that was a good idea. Does
    anyone know how that upgrade was done? Could it have left stuff around
    that would cause problems? I have looked at the upgrade log, but I do not
    know every Gnome package that was previously installed.

    I am considering a fresh install of only the 08/03 update to see if that
    works better. However, that will take time that I do not have just now.

    My other Solaris workstatiion, which is the end-user group of software,
    does not appear to be updated with the Gnome packages. Does anyone know
    what is involved in adding Gnome to that box?

    Thanks, Alex Moore
    Alex Guest

  4. #4

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:24:05 -0500, Alex Moore wrote:
    > Did you have Solaris Gnome installed and then update with the Solaris 9
    > 08/03 update? I did just that and I wonder if that was a good idea.
    > Does anyone know how that upgrade was done? Could it have left stuff
    > around that would cause problems? I have looked at the upgrade log, but
    > I do not know every Gnome package that was previously installed.
    >
    > I am considering a fresh install of only the 08/03 update to see if that
    > works better. However, that will take time that I do not have just now.
    >
    > My other Solaris workstatiion, which is the end-user group of software,
    > does not appear to be updated with the Gnome packages. Does anyone know
    > what is involved in adding Gnome to that box?
    >
    > Thanks, Alex Moore[/ref]

    Alex, the bad news is that I had installed Solaris 9 (08/03) for Sparc
    onto a blank machine! (well, I wiped what was on there as part of the
    install). So a fresh install might not help you either.

    I tried to add Evolution before anything else so it was only dealing with
    the Gnome stuff from the Sun 08/03 release -- stupidly thinking that the
    release version had fewer bugs etc. than the final beta. Of course, I
    compiled the "uname.so" bit as required to convince the installer I was
    using Solaris 8. I had a few problems with that at first; but eventually I
    got the Ximian installer to install Evolution. However,it didn't work as I
    (and everyone else) expected -- lets me see the weather and headlines and
    compose a new mail, but not read mail, addresses or tasks etc.

    I have now added Mozilla and StarOffice (from Sun) and Pan (from
    blastwave). They all seemed to stick extra libraries onto the box but
    there was no improvement or change to Evolution afterwards by the way.

    Maybe there's something totally unexpected in Sun's Gnome. I note that the
    Ximian installer seems to add a load of Gnome bits to the machine.

    I'm not sure, but from what is said it looks to me like:

    If you want Evolution you must run Solaris 8 and the final beta (was that
    December 2002) of Sun's Gnome -- it seems to look for the version labelled
    2003.01.14.12.39.

    How do I go back a few revisions in my OS and libraries??

    Oh well

    --
    Regards
    Andy, G8TQH

    Andy Guest

  5. #5

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:26:44 +0100, Andy McMullin wrote:

    ...snip

    Thanks for the reply Andy. What I have now with Solaris 9 is not really
    working for me. So, can anyone confirm that Solaris 8 + final beta of
    Gnome + Evolution will work?

    I really do not want to regress to Solaris 8, but my other option is
    return to my very fast and functional Windows 2000 box and forget Solaris
    as a workstation. I work from my home/office and my customer's email is
    of paramount importance.

    I am still attempting to compile SylpheedClaws, but am having trouble with
    library incompatibilites with Gnome.

    Thanks, Alex Moore
    Alex Guest

  6. #6

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 06:59:03 -0500, net wrote:

    What is the obsession with ximian for? Are you saying the only reason you
    want to use it, is for the microsoft outlook "connector", perhaps?

    'cause there are other solutions you could go with.

    --
    http://www.blastwave.org/ for solaris pre-packaged binaries with pkg-get
    Organized by the author of pkg-get

  7. #7

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:22:13 +0000, Philip Brown wrote:

    > What is the obsession with ximian for? Are you saying the only reason
    > you want to use it, is for the microsoft outlook "connector", perhaps?
    >
    > 'cause there are other solutions you could go with.[/ref]

    I have no obsession with ximian and I have no use for the exchange
    connector. Name something else and I will try it if I have not already. I
    have tried and used a few mua programs in unix/linux and ximian was the
    closest to understanding and working with some basic functions that I
    need. I really do not see my needs as exceptional or out of the ordinary.

    I inquired about commonly used mua programs a month or so ago and here I
    am today, still dealing with this. I have invested many days of my time
    in trying to compile and use a few of the recommended mua programs. All
    that I have gotten out of it is a very basic version of Sylpheed (not
    claws). I need to spend some time researching why claws will not compile,
    but there I go again, i.e., more time. Therefore, ximian's products
    appear to be commercial software that I could buy, if needed, and just
    use. Am I asking for too much?

    For example, a short list: I need an easy way to add senders to my address
    book (such as right click the address and select add from the context
    menu), spell checker, print function that works all of the time instead of
    just some of the time, an understanding of common mime types for things
    like ms doents instead of calling it a generic mime type like
    application/octet stream (or some such) and making me save the doent to
    disk and hope that I can read it (which is not always the case).

    Thanks, Alex Moore
    Alex Guest

  8. #8

    HI,

    Alex Moore wrote:
    Sorry to hear that you have so many problems with mail, mail should work
    easy as you say.

    Have you tried Mozilla from SUN? or the older Netscape 7 from SUN?

    I use it every day, right now for instance to write this mail to you but
    how good it is for you to spellcheck I can't say but it has spell checking.

    /michael

    Michael Guest

  9. #9

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:22:13 +0000, Philip Brown wrote:

    > What is the obsession with ximian for? Are you saying the only reason
    > you want to use it, is for the microsoft outlook "connector", perhaps?
    >
    > 'cause there are other solutions you could go with.[/ref]

    I believe I have the same problem as Alex and I don't think it's an
    obsession -- but would an obsessive know that I wonder :-)

    I am looking for a mail/calendar/tasks solution that will support both
    POP3 mail (for my personal e-mail) and IMAP (or, the connector) for my
    works e-mail -- which, unfortunately is Exchange based.

    I need the system to deal with my address book and the extant mail I wish
    to preserve: both of which Evolution will do.

    I also want to keep my appointments, anniversaries and tasks somewhere and
    Evolution appears to be the only client for Unix to do that too.

    If it can integrate between address book details and anniversaries that'd
    be perfect too -- you know, the address book has the date of birth and it
    automatically becomes and anniversary in the calendar.

    If someone could detail, and then compare/contrast the other solutions
    that could do all that, it would be great!

    Sylpheed Claws has been suggested more than once, but just like Evolution,
    it doesn't seem to want to work with the Solaris 9 (8/03) operating system
    and Gnome libraries -- or rather I can't get it to compile and run; so I
    can't tell if it would be the solution for me.

    All ideas or suggestions (provided they are clean) would be gratefully
    received.

    Regards
    Andy, G8TQH
    http://www.rickham.net/
    Andy Guest

  10. #10

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 07:01:27 +0000, Michael Laajanen wrote:

    ...snip

    Yes, I have the Sun Mozilla package installed and use it for web browsing.
    However, email only does POP or IMAP and that only works well for me for
    my windows hosts. Also, I need to keep the mail from my 'old' windows
    environment and do not see how to import that mail into Mozilla. The only
    import option is Communicator 4.x.

    My mail is in a file in a spool directory on my mailhost which is a
    Solaris sparc host. I do spam and anti-virus filtering at the sendmail
    mailhost. I use fetchmail on the mailhost for the 5 pop accounts that I
    service.

    I looked into setting up an IMAP server, but I decided not to do that. I
    do have a rinky dink pop server on my mailhost that I use with 2 windows
    hosts. I would not mind using that on Solaris if I could keep my mail
    history.

    Thanks, Alex Moore
    Alex Guest

  11. #11

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:19:01 +0100, Andy McMullin wrote:

    ...snip

    I would also like to do the things that you mentioned Andy, but I left
    those items out as 'would be great to have'.

    At least I am not the only one having incompatibility problems with
    Slypheed Claws and the Sun Gnome libraries. This is actually true for a
    few other programs that I have tried to compile. I have also tried
    compiling with Gnome libraries from blastwave and, in desparation, even
    sunfreeware, but no success. I did manage to get the standard Sylpheed to
    compile without any additional features. This is what I am using, but it
    is crippled and just barely tolerable.

    I saw a post somewhere from a blastwave person who would consider
    compiling what is needed. If you are reading this, how about Slypheed
    Claws with additional features of at least aspell, imlib, gdk_pixbuf, ssl,
    ldap? I should note that I have only read about this program's
    capabilities and have not seen it myself.

    I am away to look for a Slypheed mailing list.

    Alex Moore
    Alex Guest

  12. #12

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 06:58:47 -0500, Alex Moore wrote:

    I'd vote for that too.

    From my understanding, Claws is a mailer that includes at least one of the
    things from my little list -- it can import Outlook generated contact
    lists. However, it's missing my calendar/tasks requirement.

    It can also act as a news reader -- which I might use. I've been happy
    with Pan since I got it from blastwave (and it worked fine first time)
    apart from one small problem -- I can't use it to send e-mails (only NNTP
    posts) because it can't be set up for authenticated mailings (you know,
    send a user-id and password to the smtp host). So maybe I'd use Claws for
    that.

    In the absence of Evolution working with the current revisions of Solaris
    and its little Gnome; anyone got a calendar/tasks system that integrates
    with a mailer like Claws?? Oh yea, and I'd like it to work with the
    current Solaris if possible :-)

    --
    Regards
    Andy, G8TQH

    Andy Guest

  13. #13

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 13:33:48 +0100, Andy McMullin wrote:

    ...snip

    I agree Andy.

    I have been trying to compile sylpheed-claws again today. I got the most
    basic version to compile by removing all non-Sun directories from my path.
    It does work (somewhat) and has at least one of the features that I use
    that is not available in sylpheed. I can select a name/address and right
    click to add it to the address book. Also, it does something odd in that
    all mailboxes shows a number of messages unread. When I select 'mark all
    read', nothing happens except for a gdkwindow.c error message in my
    terminal. There were a lot of complaints by the compiler regarding
    pointer issues, so I expect that my compiled version will not be stable.

    Getting the additional features compiled has been a catch-22 situation and
    does not work for me. Anyway, that is some progress, but does not help
    your calendar/task request. I am beginning to think that 'open source' is
    not an appropriate name.

    If Phil (from blastwave) does not respond, I will submit a feature request
    with my new blastwave bug report account and see what he says.

    Thanks, Alex Moore
    Alex Guest

  14. #14

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 06:58:47 -0500, net wrote:

    ummm.. we DO have a package request form ;-)

    Our 'list of packages" page,

    http://www.blastwave.org/packages

    mentions this on the 6th paragraph

  15. #15

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:17:38 -0500, net wrote:

    I believe mozilla answers all of that except for the spell checker bit.
    Spell checking is still in "wierd hack" status, IMO, so it is not
    in the blastwave.org builds.

    as far as transferring from a messy-dos installation, you can do this in
    a multi-step process, which you should probably do anyway:

    #1: enable IMAP on the ms-windows server
    #2: use a pure-ms-windows client, to transfer any "locally stored" stuff
    back up to the server

    #3: When you finally pick a new mail client you are happy with,
    copy all the stuff you want to be local, back locally again.
    Leave the rest on the server.

    problem solved.

  16. #16

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 06:03:27 +0000, Philip Brown wrote:

    > ummm.. we DO have a package request form ;-)
    >
    > Our 'list of packages" page,
    >
    > http://www.blastwave.org/packages
    >
    > mentions this on the 6th paragraph[/ref]

    Thanks for the info. I've just been there and filled in a request for
    Sylpheed Claws.

    As I notice there is a test version for X86, hopefully someone more
    experienced can do better than us and also manage to compile it to run
    with the current Sparc Solaris 9 (8/03) and whatever Gnomes are required
    so we can use it on a Sparc station.

    To sort out my contact/diary/task stuff, I've also filled one in asking
    for the Gnome PIM. I don't know whether it'll answer my needs as I can't
    get that to compile with the Sol 9 stuff either :-(

    Shame the source for Evolution isn't available, otherwise I'd try asking
    for that too (so we can compare and contrast). Then there'd be a single
    source for everything!!

    --
    Regards
    Andy, G8TQH

  17. #17

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 06:06:36 +0000, Philip Brown wrote:

    ...snip
    Thanks Phil. Understood. Only I do not have an email server on windows,
    but I will consider it. I currently have all outgoing and incoming mail
    going through a small sparc box, which has SpamAssassin, etc. to chuck
    spam and virus email. The email client that I want to use needs to run on
    my Ultra-60.

    Thanks, Alex
    Alex Guest

  18. #18

    Andy McMullin <net.NOSPAM> writes in comp.unix.solaris:
    |Shame the source for Evolution isn't available, otherwise I'd try asking
    |for that too (so we can compare and contrast). Then there'd be a single
    |source for everything!!

    Umm, evolution itself is open source (some of the connectors are not) -
    the source is on the gnome.org CVS servers. For download sites and such
    see http://developer.ximian.com/projects/source/

    Alan Coopersmith calberkeley.org
    http://www.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/ aka: COM
    Alan Guest

  19. #19

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 08:35:41 -0500, net wrote:

    huh. guess it was someone else complaining about transferring from windows
    servers.

    You shouldnt have any problem with mozilla, apart from lack of spell check,
    then

  20. #20

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 10:44:11 +0100, net.NOSPAM wrote:

    is this for integration with an actual PDA?
    we have a package and drivers for integration with USB PDAs on
    blastwave.org
    It allows use of the openoffice/staroffice stuff, along with probably other
    programs as well.

    --
    http://www.blastwave.org/ for solaris pre-packaged binaries with pkg-get
    Organized by the author of pkg-get