Professional Web Applications Themes

XMMS unable to play streaming audio (pls) - Debian

Hi, In my quest to try to get streaming audio playing from shoutcast and mozilla, I have been unable to get xmms to play any *.pls files or any URL's, When I click on the url tab and enter a url, it doesn't even attempt to try to play them, I've tried xmms from woody, testing and now unstable and still the same. I've also installed every single xmms plugin available from the main official debian repositories, from what I can see there isn't a dedicated plugin available to do this (I may be wrong). I've tried googling, but not ...

  1. #1

    Default XMMS unable to play streaming audio (pls)

    Hi,

    In my quest to try to get streaming audio playing from shoutcast and
    mozilla, I have been unable to get xmms to play any *.pls files or any
    URL's, When I click on the url tab and enter a url, it doesn't even
    attempt to try to play them, I've tried xmms from woody, testing and now
    unstable and still the same.

    I've also installed every single xmms plugin available from the main
    official debian repositories, from what I can see there isn't a
    dedicated plugin available to do this (I may be wrong).

    I've tried googling, but not much joy, and xmms doentation leaves a
    lot to be desired.

    Thanks In Advance

    Mark

    Mark C Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: XMMS unable to play streaming audio (pls)

    On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 01:02, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
    > What happens if you open xmms, press Control-L to open a location and
    > then paste in the URL.
    nothing, it doesn't even show up after I press ok,
    I have been going into the playlist window and then pressing the URL
    button and doing it that way, which I presume is the same as you
    mentioned?

    It plays mp3 and everything else fine, just not streaming

    Mark

    Mark C Guest

  3. #3

    On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 01:15:15AM +0100, Mark C wrote:
    > On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 01:02, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
    >
    > > What happens if you open xmms, press Control-L to open a location and
    > > then paste in the URL.
    >
    > nothing, it doesn't even show up after I press ok,
    > I have been going into the playlist window and then pressing the URL
    > button and doing it that way, which I presume is the same as you
    > mentioned?
    >
    > It plays mp3 and everything else fine, just not streaming
    oh right, sorry about that, in the open location field you have to put
    in the real URL and not the m3u or pls file. So just download the pls
    file and then when you open it up you should see an url of the form:
    [url]http://www.something.com/song.mp3[/url]

    Just enter that into xmms and it should work fine.

    I can confirm that this works this way with the streams on:
    [url]http://www.dr-yo.com/radio/index.html[/url]

    Bijan

    Bijan Soleymani Guest

  4. #4

    Once upon a time Bijan Soleymani was quoted as saying:
    > What happens if you open xmms, press Control-L to open a location and
    > then paste in the URL.
    If I save the pls file from mozilla, then open it with xmms it works, but
    I want to be able to do this via mozilla, and this seems impossable, as
    mozilla tried to open the playlist in a new tab,

    I have tried editing the helper applications, but even with mozplugger
    installed that is completley blank, and also reading on the net I have
    tried to manually add a few different mime types, and they still fail to
    open, I'm using mozilla-1.3.1.xfs from sid.

    Mark

    --
    To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism,
    to steal ideas from many is research.

    Mark C Guest

  5. #5

    On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 12:46:24AM +0100, Mark C wrote:

    > Once upon a time Bijan Soleymani was quoted as saying:
    >
    > > What happens if you open xmms, press Control-L to open a location and
    > > then paste in the URL.
    >
    > If I save the pls file from mozilla, then open it with xmms it works, but
    > I want to be able to do this via mozilla, and this seems impossable, as
    > mozilla tried to open the playlist in a new tab,
    >
    > I have tried editing the helper applications, but even with mozplugger
    > installed that is completley blank, and also reading on the net I have
    > tried to manually add a few different mime types, and they still fail to
    > open, I'm using mozilla-1.3.1.xfs from sid.
    I recommend you write a tiny little script that will take the URL of a
    pls as a parameter and open the stream in xmms. Then put that in
    /usr/local/bin or wherever you'd prefer. Then simply have mozilla
    run that on pls files.

    P.S. The following site describes how to set it up normally, but from
    what you've said you might have already tried this:
    [url]http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS9784616314.html[/url]

    Bijan

    Bijan Soleymani Guest