Professional Web Applications Themes

Xnest on SunRays is failing when connecting to Linux - Sun Solaris

Hi, I'm trying to use Xnest on a sunray for connecting to a non-solaris machine. That non solaris machine is a Linux box running gdm. I'm using the following command but i'm getting an error Xnest :260 -pn -query xdmserver No such file or directory ddxKbdInit: OWconfig error! SunRay keyboard != SunRay screen DDX module Segmentation Fault I tried to log a call with sun but got told that they do not support Linux and Xnest and therefore will not help me :-( However, Xnest works fine when connecting to Solaris boxes from a SunRay. The error message that i ...

  1. #1

    Default Xnest on SunRays is failing when connecting to Linux

    Hi,

    I'm trying to use Xnest on a sunray for connecting to a non-solaris
    machine. That non solaris machine is a Linux box running gdm. I'm
    using the following command but i'm getting an error

    Xnest :260 -pn -query xdmserver

    No such file or directory
    ddxKbdInit: OWconfig error! SunRay keyboard != SunRay screen DDX module
    Segmentation Fault

    I tried to log a call with sun but got told that they do not support
    Linux and Xnest and therefore will not help me :-(

    However, Xnest works fine when connecting to Solaris boxes from a
    SunRay. The error message that i get seems very sunray specific ?

    Cheers,

    T.
    Thierry Guest

  2. #2

    Thierry Delaitre <ac.uk> writes in comp.unix.solaris:
    |I'm trying to use Xnest on a sunray for connecting to a non-solaris
    |machine. That non solaris machine is a Linux box running gdm. I'm
    |using the following command but i'm getting an error
    |
    |Xnest :260 -pn -query xdmserver
    |No such file or directory
    |ddxKbdInit: OWconfig error! SunRay keyboard != SunRay screen DDX module
    |Segmentation Fault

    Try a screen number greater than 999 - the SunRay software puts
    configuration statements in the X server configuration file for
    all displays up to 999.

    |I tried to log a call with sun but got told that they do not support
    |Linux and Xnest and therefore will not help me :-(

    Xnest is supported if you use the Sun provided version on Solaris 9.

    Alan Coopersmith calberkeley.org
    http://www.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/ aka: COM
    Alan Guest

  3. #3

    Thierry Delaitre <ac.uk> writes:

    Is perhaps ":260" a display number used by the SunRay software?

    It does seem to work on our Sun Ray server; (but it is running
    Solaris 9); but I'm not using a SunRay my self.

    Does "Xnest :260 -pn -query localhost" work?

    (it should display an dtlogin on the SunRay server)

    Casper

    be fiction rather than truth.
    Casper Guest

  4. #4

    Alan Coopersmith <calberkeley.org> writes in comp.unix.solaris:
    ||Xnest :260 -pn -query xdmserver
    ||No such file or directory
    ||ddxKbdInit: OWconfig error! SunRay keyboard != SunRay screen DDX module
    ||Segmentation Fault
    |
    |Try a screen number greater than 999 - the SunRay software puts
    |configuration statements in the X server configuration file for
    |all displays up to 999.

    One of the SunRay engineers and I looked into this - we found the bug,
    and it is indeed in the Xnest software trying to load the SunRay input
    devices when the Xinput extension is queried for additional devices
    (which gtk toolkit clients on Linux are wont to do). You can avoid it
    by choosing a display number for Xnest that doesn't match any one that
    the SunRay has declared to be a SunRay device in
    /usr/openwin/server/etc/OWconfig.