Professional Web Applications Themes

XP and Redhat: dual boot problem - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have XP preloaded on Dell 4550. Added a second hard disk . Now the system has altogther 3 partitions with 2 hard disks Primary Partition 1 is on Hard Disk 1. Hard Disk 2 has extended Partition having 2 logical partition. Redhat 9.0 was loaded in the 2nd logical partition on hard disk 2. Kept XP as the default OS to boot while configuring linux with Lilo. ( Is grub preferable here ? ) Systems keep booting to XP without showing any boot options to boot from XP or Linux. Unless I use a linux boot floppy I cannot ...

  1. #1

    Default XP and Redhat: dual boot problem

    I have XP preloaded on Dell 4550. Added a second hard
    disk . Now the system has altogther 3 partitions with 2 hard disks

    Primary Partition 1 is on Hard Disk 1.
    Hard Disk 2 has extended Partition having 2 logical partition.

    Redhat 9.0 was loaded in the 2nd logical partition on hard disk 2.
    Kept XP as the default OS to boot while configuring linux with Lilo.
    ( Is grub preferable here ? )

    Systems keep booting to XP without showing any boot options
    to boot from XP or Linux. Unless I use a linux boot floppy I cannot
    boot to linux.

    I did not have any problem doing the same with W2K and Linux.
    Please advise how I can have a dual boot system with XP and Linux.

    -Joydeep

    joydeep Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: XP and Redhat: dual boot problem

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 03:05:35 GMT,
    joydeep roy <att.net> wrote:

    Try running lilo -v, or even lilo -v3

    Post errors if any, and your lilo.conf if you're still having problems.

    Michael C.
    --
    com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    joydeep roy wrote:

    Probably you have installed LILO on your second harddisk. During boot
    your BIOS starts executing the code in the MBR (master boot record)
    of the first harddisk and the bootloader of XP "knows" nothing about
    LILO or LINUX on your second harddisk.

    If this is the case, you can solve your problem:
    a) Copy the boot sector with the "first stage" of LILO to a file,
    something like
    dd if=/dev/hdb of=/boot/bootsec.lin bs=512 count=1
    should work.
    (Of course, I don't know, where your "first stage" is installed.
    Since the boot floppy is working, you should find it also in the
    boot record of your boot floppy.)
    b) Copy this file "bootsec.lin" to your first harddisk. (With the NTFS
    filesystem of Windows you have to copy it first to a floppy and then
    to the first harddisk. Writing to a NTFS filesystem from LINUX still
    does not work(?).)
    c) Edit the file BOOT.INI of the Windows NT bootloader by adding a line
    C:\bootsec.lin="LILO"
    (Path adjusted, if necessary.)
    With this line booting to XP should show you the option "LILO" to
    execute LILO/start LINUX.

    You can find a more detailed description in Michael Kofler's book on
    LINUX, where I took from this solution.

    Frank B.

    --
    Against software patents (not only) in Europe.
    Visit http://swpat.ffii.org/ and inform you!

  4. #4

    Joydeep, this is your very lucky day.

    I also have a Dell 4550, and use two hard drives, and had problems
    with the boot loader when installing Redhat.

    Go to groups.google.com, and find my solution at:
    Grub did not install on dual boot machine.

    Perhaps delete all the partitions before starting the install.
    Create them in the Redhat install. Let us know how it worked.

    linuxquestion@yahoo.com Guest

  5. #5

    Here is the output of the lilo.

    "Warning: device 0x0345 exceeds 1024 cylinder capacity limit
    Fatal: Sector 76558647 too large for linear mode ( try 'lba32' instead )"

    Thanks,
    -Joydeep

    "Michael C." <com> wrote in message

    > Try running lilo -v, or even lilo -v3
    >
    > Post errors if any, and your lilo.conf if you're still having problems.
    >
    > Michael C.
    > --
    > com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/
    > Registered Linux User #303915 http://counter.li.org/
    >
    >[/ref]

    joydeep Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks for all the information. Very helpful indeed.
    I reinstalled with Redhat linux now running grub this time.
    However was not booting at all - hanging with "GRUB" display.
    After fdisk /mbr command got it back to bootint to XP as before.
    Then rebooting using the boot floppy, linux was brought up again.

    The df command was showing:
    File System Mounted on
    /dev/hdb3 /
    /dev/hdb2 /boot

    Ran dd if=/dev/hdb2 of=/boot/bootsec.lin bs=512 count=1
    copied bootsec.ini to C:
    edited boot.ini at C:
    C:\bootsec.lin="linux"

    Now after rebooting, system is giving the choice.
    I can switch to XP or linux from the choice, but when I
    select linux I just get blank screen and it hangs.

    I may be hitting 1024 cylinder limitation for BIOS.
    My hard disk 1 is 60 G having XP and Harddisk 2 is 80 G.
    The linux partition is at the second partition in hard disk 2.

    I also found this very useful.
    http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

    Looking forward to more suggestions

    Thanks,
    -Joydeep

  7. #7

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:38:02 GMT,
    joydeep roy <att.net> wrote:

    In your lilo.conf add

    lba32

    and comment out any lines that contain "linear" (if any, it's the
    default so it may not be in the file.)

    rerun lilo -v

    and please stop top posting.

    HTH,

    Michael C.

  8. #8

    See my other post:

    Dual booting XP, Linux with Grub, on Dell

    In the original post, it has what I did there.
    I didn't use boot.ini. I used the MBR and
    /boot/grub/grub.conf

    You need three lines in the xp section, not two that
    is typically doented.

    Take a look. Let us know how it worked.

  9. #9

    joydeep roy wrote:

    To install GRUB as bootloader it would have been sufficient to
    install the corresponding RPM-package and then to configure/install
    GRUB.
    I don't know the installation process for RedHat, however, doing a
    complete reinstall of Linux, my expectation would have
    been that GRUB is installed and configured (to start Linux,
    without "knowing" about Windows) automatically.
    Does "hanging with GRUB display" mean, that you are in the GRUB shell,
    i.e. can you enter something?
    Otherwise, I guess the installation of GRUB failed and the "first stage"
    in the MBR can not find the Linux partitions.

    This boot floppy, does it use LILO or GRUB? Was it generated during
    first (LILO) or second (GRUB) installation?

    This is in contradiction with "Hard Disk 2 has extended
    Partition having 2 logical partitions" from your first posting.
    The logical partitions should show up as /dev/hdb5 and /dev/hdb6.
    It might be that you created one extended partition hdb1 and two
    primary partitions hdb2 and hdb3.

    Ok, so at least XP "knows" about Linux.;-) I guess the "first stage"
    of your bootloader (either LILO or GRUB) was not located in the
    boot record of /dev/hdb2, so "bootsec.lin" is more or less an "empty"
    file.
    To verify, have a look at it with an editor (e.g. Notepad for XP).
    With a "normal" editor most symbols will be senseless, but as an
    example my bootsector --- I am using GRUB --- contains the string
    "GRUB GeomHard DiskRead Error". I would expect something similar
    with LILO.

    I would agree, considering your posted error message.

    "Warning: device 0x0345 exceeds 1024 cylinder capacity limit
    Fatal: Sector 76558647 too large for linear mode ( try 'lba32' instead
    )"

    But I cannot understand, how your boot floppy works in this case
    (assuming you created it with the same LILO configuration).

    What is the first partition on harddisk 2? How large is it?
    If you have a problem with the 1024 cylinder limitation, it would only
    affect LILO.

    At this point you should decide, to use either LILO or GRUB.

    When we use LILO, you must
    1) Install the RPM-package for LILO (if not done by your
    installation).
    2) Edit the file /etc/lilo.conf as proposed by Michael C. in
    his posting, to solve the 1024 cylinder issue.
    3) Change the line boot=.... in this file to
    boot=/boot/bootsec.lin
    so your "first stage" will be written to this file, everytime you
    run the command "lilo". I forgot to mention this in my first
    posting. Sorry about that.
    4) Rerun lilo -v
    5) Copy the new "bootsec.lin" to your first harddisk, as explained in
    my first posting.

    When you prefer to use GRUB, I would try to use the same trick
    as with Lilo, to start the bootloader for Linux from XP. (Warning:
    Don't know whether this will work at all.)
    So for this case the file "bootsec.lin" should be the MBR
    generated by a regular installation of GRUB.
    I give only a scetch, what to do. When you want to try this
    and need more details, post again.
    1) Edit the configuration file for GRUB --- should be something like
    menu.lst
    or grub.conf in the directory /boot/grub --- to start Linux.
    2) Install GRUB from the GRUB shell to the MBR of your first harddisk.
    Command should be

    install (hd1,1)/boot/grub/stage1 d (hd0) (hd1,1)/boot/grub/stage2
    p (hd1,1)/boot/grub/<name of grub configuration file>

    everything entered in one line. (Have a look at info grub ;-))
    3) To test the installation: On rebooting you should be able to start
    Linux.
    4) Now copy (in Linux with dd) the "GRUB MBR" from the master boot
    record of harddisk 1 to "bootsec.lin" (in the Linux boot partition)
    and restore the MBR for Windows XP with fdisk /mbr (using a rescue
    disk
    for Windows XP?).
    Test: On rebooting XP should come up.
    5) Copy the "bootsec.lin" file to C: , i.e. the first harddisk.

    Good luck,

    Frank

  10. #10

    <com> wrote in message

    Finally it worked!
    The second hard disk had an extended partition with NTFS ( created from XP
    in Hard Disk1 )
    followed by the linux partition in the second half. I was planning to use
    this extended partition
    to ghost the primary hard disk 1. Since NTFS was not being seen by the
    ghost software
    so I started from the begining again. I used fdisk to delete all the
    existing partition in
    Hard Disk 2, including the linux partition. Created extended and logical
    partition in the first half of the
    hard disk 2 using fdisk. Installed a complete brand new linux with grub in
    the second half of the hard disk 2.
    It worked like a charm. System now comes up in grub, gives me the choice to
    switch OS.
    Also the old NTFS Extended partition that I removed did not have a logical
    partition in it
    and also it was not created by fdisk but my seagate disk vendor utility. I
    am not sure if this
    caused any confusion to grub.

    I agree that boot.ini in XP does not have to be modified at all.

    Thanks everyone,
    -Joydeep

    joydeep Guest

  11. #11

    > To install GRUB as bootloader it would have been sufficient to

    It was hanging could not enter anything after "GRUB" appeared in the screen.

    > This boot floppy, does it use LILO or GRUB? Was it generated during
    > first (LILO) or second (GRUB) installation?[/ref]
    second (GRUB) installation.

    > This is in contradiction with "Hard Disk 2 has extended
    > Partition having 2 logical partitions" from your first posting.
    > The logical partitions should show up as /dev/hdb5 and /dev/hdb6.
    > It might be that you created one extended partition hdb1 and two
    > primary partitions hdb2 and hdb3.
    >[/ref]
    Correction to what I said earlier. The system's hard disk2 had 1
    extended partition (without any logical drives in it ) and 1 primary
    partition the linux which had the above partitions shown using df.
    Hard disk 2 did not have 2 logical partitions in it. I discovered this
    yesterday.
    My apologies.

    Refer to my earlier email in this thread, the system is working as expected
    ie linux is booting correctly with grub as offering the choice as expected
    and nicely booting linux or XP after that. This happened after I used
    fdisk clean the extended and primary partion and recreate again and this
    time with 1 logical partion within the extended partition and let linux
    create the primary partition. I have pasted the grub.conf below.

    > Ok, so at least XP "knows" about Linux.;-) I guess the "first stage"
    > of your bootloader (either LILO or GRUB) was not located in the
    > boot record of /dev/hdb2, so "bootsec.lin" is more or less an "empty"
    > file.
    > To verify, have a look at it with an editor (e.g. Notepad for XP).
    > With a "normal" editor most symbols will be senseless, but as an
    > example my bootsector --- I am using GRUB --- contains the string
    > "GRUB GeomHard DiskRead Error". I would expect something similar
    > with LILO.

    > I would agree, considering your posted error message.
    >
    > "Warning: device 0x0345 exceeds 1024 cylinder capacity limit
    > Fatal: Sector 76558647 too large for linear mode ( try 'lba32' instead
    > )"
    >
    > But I cannot understand, how your boot floppy works in this case
    > (assuming you created it with the same LILO configuration).

    > What is the first partition on harddisk 2? How large is it?
    > If you have a problem with the 1024 cylinder limitation, it would only
    > affect LILO.
    >
    > At this point you should decide, to use either LILO or GRUB.
    >
    > When we use LILO, you must
    > 1) Install the RPM-package for LILO (if not done by your
    > installation).
    > 2) Edit the file /etc/lilo.conf as proposed by Michael C. in
    > his posting, to solve the 1024 cylinder issue.
    > 3) Change the line boot=.... in this file to
    > boot=/boot/bootsec.lin
    > so your "first stage" will be written to this file, everytime you
    > run the command "lilo". I forgot to mention this in my first
    > posting. Sorry about that.
    > 4) Rerun lilo -v
    > 5) Copy the new "bootsec.lin" to your first harddisk, as explained in
    > my first posting.
    >
    > When you prefer to use GRUB, I would try to use the same trick
    > as with Lilo, to start the bootloader for Linux from XP. (Warning:
    > Don't know whether this will work at all.)
    > So for this case the file "bootsec.lin" should be the MBR
    > generated by a regular installation of GRUB.
    > I give only a scetch, what to do. When you want to try this
    > and need more details, post again.
    > 1) Edit the configuration file for GRUB --- should be something like
    > menu.lst
    > or grub.conf in the directory /boot/grub --- to start Linux.
    > 2) Install GRUB from the GRUB shell to the MBR of your first harddisk.
    > Command should be
    >
    > install (hd1,1)/boot/grub/stage1 d (hd0) (hd1,1)/boot/grub/stage2
    > p (hd1,1)/boot/grub/<name of grub configuration file>
    >[/ref]

    what does stage1 and stage2 mean ?

    Thanks for the insight in to the grub.conf. This is the first time I am
    using it.
    Now that system is working, I look at the grub.conf it has:

    splashimage=(hd1,1)/grub/splash.xpm g2
    title redhat....
    root(hd1,1)
    kernel ...
    initrd ...
    title DOS
    root noverify (hd0,1)
    chain loader -1

    Thanks,
    -Joydeep

    Joydeep Guest

  12. #12

    Oh, I should have mentioned. I'm told Linux works better with FAT32,
    than NTFS. My first partition on the second drive is a backup drive
    of 15 gigs. I can copy the XP stuff to there easily, onto a
    separate physical drive. I can also move things to and from each OS.

    I'm having an awful time with my video drivers on my 4550
    installation. Please take a look at my other posts. Please
    mention what video card you are using, and attach your
    XF86Config-4 file.

    Installing ATI Radeon video drivers on Redhat Advanced Server

    Questions for Redhat 9.0 users

    Thanks a lot!