Professional Web Applications Themes

XP Pro: cannot access dial-up from guest account - Windows Networking

At some point, the XP Guest account, which was working fine for weeks, lost its ability to access the dial-up internet account. From the Guest account Start menu, "Connect to" appears with the name of the dial-up shown, however, clicking on the account does nothing. We tried (from the Administrator account) delting and re- doing the dial-up account, doing a system restore, setting various options concerning sharing the connection, etc., to no avail. Even a complete restore of the active partition via True Image did nothing to solve this problem. The dial-up works fine when accessed from the Adm account. ...

  1. #1

    Default XP Pro: cannot access dial-up from guest account

    At some point, the XP Guest account, which was working
    fine for weeks, lost its ability to access the dial-up
    internet account. From the Guest account Start
    menu, "Connect to" appears with the name of the dial-up
    shown, however, clicking on the account does nothing.

    We tried (from the Administrator account) delting and re-
    doing the dial-up account, doing a system restore,
    setting various options concerning sharing the
    connection, etc., to no avail. Even a complete restore of
    the active partition via True Image did nothing to solve
    this problem.

    The dial-up works fine when accessed from the Adm
    account. All settings in the Adm account to allow other
    users to access the dial-up connection, user name, and
    password are set to allow access to other users. However,
    the Guest account will not connect.

    I'm stumped and going a bit batty...any help greatly
    appreciated!!!
    Mark Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: XP Pro: cannot access dial-up from guest account

    Normally, a Guest user cannot dial to internet. This is by design. However,
    a limited user can dial, if you have kept a dial-up connection open.
    (available for all users)

    Only one workaround: Connect using admin account and do a Fast USer
    Switching:

    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/tips/may02/theriot1.asp[/url]

    great tip from Kelly Theriot - MVP
    --
    _______________________________________
    Ramesh Srinivasan

    "Mark" <spanishpausehotmail.com> wrote in message
[...]

    Ramesh \(XP Power User\) Guest

  3. #3

    Ramesh:

    Many thanks for your suggestions (below) regarding my
    issue.

    The funny thing is that the Guest account did have access
    to the dial-up for about 6 weeks with no problems, then
    it stopped functioning- not even a system restore back to
    day one will allow it to work.

    I'm confused about the limitations of the Guest account.
    You indicate that Guests cannot normally access dial-up
    Internet connections, however the XP Help &
    Support "Walkthrough" on sharing your computer says:

    "Guest access
    The guest access feature of Windows XP allows someone who
    is not a regular user of the shared computer to operate
    it as if he or she holds a limited account. Guest access
    is not protected by a password. Using Guest access makes
    it easy for visitors to log on quickly to check e-mail,
    browse the Internet, write and print doents, and
    perform similar activities."

    So, I'm not sure whether the Guest account can't access a
    dial-up by design, or whether this is a bug or
    configuration problem.

    Thanks for any assistance.
    Mark
    (Confused XP user who has deployed 6 XP Pro computers on
    2 networks without any problems until now)

    Mark Guest

  4. #4

    This will help you:
    [url]http://www.andyrathbone.com/tips/guestdial.html[/url]

    ===============================
    It's a security measure built-in to Windows XP, unfortunately, and it works
    like this: The Guest account can use an existing connection to connect to
    the Internet. But Windows XP's security restrictions forbid Guest account
    users from starting or disconnecting an Internet connection.
    This problem doesn't affect every computer. If you access the Internet
    through a cable or DSL account, for instance, your Internet connection is
    always "turned on," even if it's not being currently accessed. That lets
    Guest account users surf the Web without problem.
    ===============================

    _______________________________________
    Ramesh Srinivasan
    MS Windows- Poweruser

    Ramesh:

    Many thanks for your suggestions (below) regarding my
    issue.

    The funny thing is that the Guest account did have access
    to the dial-up for about 6 weeks with no problems, then
    it stopped functioning- not even a system restore back to
    day one will allow it to work.

    I'm confused about the limitations of the Guest account.
    You indicate that Guests cannot normally access dial-up
    Internet connections, however the XP Help &
    Support "Walkthrough" on sharing your computer says:

    "Guest access
    The guest access feature of Windows XP allows someone who
    is not a regular user of the shared computer to operate
    it as if he or she holds a limited account. Guest access
    is not protected by a password. Using Guest access makes
    it easy for visitors to log on quickly to check e-mail,
    browse the Internet, write and print doents, and
    perform similar activities."

    So, I'm not sure whether the Guest account can't access a
    dial-up by design, or whether this is a bug or
    configuration problem.

    Thanks for any assistance.
    Mark
    (Confused XP user who has deployed 6 XP Pro computers on
    2 networks without any problems until now)

    Ramesh \(XP Power User\) Guest