Professional Web Applications Themes

XP Pro Net thru VPN - Not enough server storage... - Windows Networking

I have two XP Pro systems networked through a VPN connection (Home and Office). The VPN connection establishes and Remote Desktop works fine. Logon to both services is automatic. Shared Printers are usable. When I try to reconnect to the mapped drives on the office computer or establish a connection through MS Explorer to the shared resources (Network Places-drives and folders) on the office computer I get the following error message: Microsoft Network: Not enough server storage is available to process this command. The connection has not be restored. This occurs whether I attempt to connect to the resources from ...

  1. #1

    Default XP Pro Net thru VPN - Not enough server storage...

    I have two XP Pro systems networked through a VPN
    connection (Home and Office). The VPN connection
    establishes and Remote Desktop works fine. Logon to both
    services is automatic. Shared Printers are usable.

    When I try to reconnect to the mapped drives on the office
    computer or establish a connection through MS Explorer to
    the shared resources (Network Places-drives and folders)
    on the office computer I get the following error message:
    Microsoft Network: Not enough server storage is available
    to process this command. The connection has not be
    restored.

    This occurs whether I attempt to connect to the resources
    from my laptop or my desktop computers at home after
    establishing the VPN connection with or without the Remote
    Desktop established. Going the other way, I am able to
    establish connections to the shared resources on my home
    desktop from my office computer.

    It appears there is some configuration problem on the
    office computer server function when the remote computer
    is established as a VPN client, but I have no idea where
    to start here, and the standard Windows XP network
    troubleshooting wizards are giving me no help. I'd
    appreciate some help in trouble shooting the problem.

    Thank you.
    Rush Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: XP Pro Net thru VPN - Not enough server storage...

    this may help quote from [url]http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech[/url]
    "Not enough server storage is available to process this command." error.

    SYMPTOMS: When accessing shares on a server from a client, you may receive
    "Not enough server storage is available to process this command." error. You
    may receive this message and Event ID: 2011 after you install Norton
    Antivirus for Windows.

    Resolution:
    1) The registry value IRPstackSize may be not explicitly present. To
    increase the value of the parameter, go to the key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\
    LanmanServer\Parameters. If the key is not present, choose Add Value in the
    Registry Editor. The Value Name should be IRPStackSize and the Data Type is
    REG_DWORD.
    2) Remove any unnecessary entries from this value in the registry,
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\LanmanServer\Parameters
    \NullSessionPipes.
    3) If the machine has a non-zero PagedPoolSize in the Registry, you need to
    re-set it by going to
    HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control \Session Manager\Memory
    Management and double-click on PagedPoolSize and set to 0.
    4) Disable Norton antivirus to see if that will fix the problem.

    For more and other information, go to
    [url]http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech[/url]

    Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
    Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

    Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on

    "Rush" <rushshortleylaw.com> wrote in message
    > I have two XP Pro systems networked through a VPN
    > connection (Home and Office). The VPN connection
    > establishes and Remote Desktop works fine. Logon to both
    > services is automatic. Shared Printers are usable.
    >
    > When I try to reconnect to the mapped drives on the office
    > computer or establish a connection through MS Explorer to
    > the shared resources (Network Places-drives and folders)
    > on the office computer I get the following error message:
    > Microsoft Network: Not enough server storage is available
    > to process this command. The connection has not be
    > restored.
    >
    > This occurs whether I attempt to connect to the resources
    > from my laptop or my desktop computers at home after
    > establishing the VPN connection with or without the Remote
    > Desktop established. Going the other way, I am able to
    > establish connections to the shared resources on my home
    > desktop from my office computer.
    >
    > It appears there is some configuration problem on the
    > office computer server function when the remote computer
    > is established as a VPN client, but I have no idea where
    > to start here, and the standard Windows XP network
    > troubleshooting wizards are giving me no help. I'd
    > appreciate some help in trouble shooting the problem.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Robert L [MS-MVP] Guest

  3. #3

    "Rush" <rushshortleylaw.com> wrote:
    >Microsoft Network: Not enough server storage is available
    >to process this command. The connection has not be
    >restored.
    Rush,

    please have a look at
    [url]http://www.michna.com/kb/WxNotEnoughServerStorage.htm[/url].

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
    Hans-Georg Michna Guest

  4. #4

    thank you for the feedback. it is difficult to answer your questions. But
    any new drives or software upgrade (auto upgrade?) may cause this problem.

    --

    > Robert,
    >
    > Thank you very much for your reply. I have applied your
    > suggested remedy, and everything works fine now. The
    > parameter was set at 11, and I increased it to 15. Then,
    > rebooted the office computer remotely. When I re-
    > established the VPN connection, I was immediately given
    > access to my mapped drives on the remote computer.
    >
    > Now my curiosity is piqued. I had tremendous access until
    > yesterday w/o any changes required. The only thing I
    > changed recently on the system was to install the software
    > and drivers for a USB-connected HP 3330 MFP device. Also,
    > the same parameter was set to 11 on my home system, and I
    > had access to the drives mapped from my office computer. I
    > am puzzled here about what else uses the space reserved by
    > that parameter or why the access would work for a year and
    > suddenly be closed off. ????
    >
    > Whatever, I would never have discovered this fix without
    > your assistance. Again, thanks much.
    >
    > Rush

    Robert L [MS-MVP] Guest