Professional Web Applications Themes

XP updating - Windows XP/2000/ME

The internet connection I have available is 28.8K max. There is no DSL, cable, or anyother type of high speed connection available for my computers. I do have access to high speed internet at my office. The question is simply, is there any way to obtain XP updates without having them installed directly through the internet download process? In other words, can I download updates at my office, then burn to CD, and then install on my home computers? My problem should be obvious, it will take several hours to download updates without a high speed connection. I have two ...

  1. #1

    Default XP updating

    The internet connection I have available is 28.8K max.
    There is no DSL, cable, or anyother type of high speed
    connection available for my computers. I do have access
    to high speed internet at my office. The question is
    simply, is there any way to obtain XP updates without
    having them installed directly through the internet
    download process? In other words, can I download updates
    at my office, then burn to CD, and then install on my
    home computers? My problem should be obvious, it will
    take several hours to download updates without a high
    speed connection. I have two computers running XP and
    they obviously have not been updated since purchase
    becase it takes too long. Can anyone be of assistance?
    David Bilek Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: XP updating

    Yes, there is.
    Go to the Windows update website.
    In the left hand column, select "Personalize Windows Update".
    In the right hand pane, check the box to display the windows Update catalog
    and then save the settings.

    In the left hand pane you will now have a link to the Update catalog. By
    going there you can search for
    updates and download and save them to you computer
    to be burned to a CD or whatever you want to do with them.

    "David Bilek" <Bilek1aol.com> wrote in message
    > The internet connection I have available is 28.8K max.
    > There is no DSL, cable, or anyother type of high speed
    > connection available for my computers. I do have access
    > to high speed internet at my office. The question is
    > simply, is there any way to obtain XP updates without
    > having them installed directly through the internet
    > download process? In other words, can I download updates
    > at my office, then burn to CD, and then install on my
    > home computers? My problem should be obvious, it will
    > take several hours to download updates without a high
    > speed connection. I have two computers running XP and
    > they obviously have not been updated since purchase
    > becase it takes too long. Can anyone be of assistance?

    SunSpot Guest

  3. #3

    28.8 is an unacceptable connection speed. Change you dialup number.

    A good way would be to start downloading your updates before you go to
    bed. Turn your monitor off when it starts to update. When you get up the
    next morning they should be installed.

    JC Carter Guest

  4. #4

    Changing the dial up number will not make anything faster if the line
    conditions do not support a faster connection. It's a physical limitation.
    In many parts of the world, including rural areas of the more developed
    nations, people consider themselves lucky to get even that.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
    [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/[/url]
    Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    [url]www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone[/url]
    Win98 Help - [url]www.rickrogers.org[/url]

    ----

    > JC
    > Webopedia Computer Dictionary

    Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers Guest

  5. #5

    In [email]8143-3F18AEE0-361storefull-2218.public.lawson.webtv.net[/email], JC
    Carter wrote:
    >> 28.8 is an unacceptable connection speed. Change you dialup
    number.

    Many people are stuck with what you call an "unacceptable
    connection speed." Although I now have a DSL connection, when I
    used dialup, I *never* got better than 28.8 (and usually only
    26.4) regardless of what ISP I used, number I dialed, modem I
    used, or anything else.

    There are often physical limitations caused by local telephone
    lines.

    --
    Ken Blake
    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Ken Blake Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: XP updating (nutcase)

    The guy said he has access to high speed connections at his office.
    I seriously doubt if he commutes to a foreign country to go to work.
    How would you know what type of phone lines he has?
    His line connections may very well be the cause of the problem.
    But, changing a dialup number can sometimes make a world of
    difference. That's common knowledge.

    JC Carter Guest