Professional Web Applications Themes

XP - Upgrade or Start Over? - Windows XP/2000/ME

I have an older desktop that was originally loaded with Windows 95, but was upgraded to W98 several years ago. With the various problems I have had with W98 (blue screens, system lockup, etc.), I can't help but wonder if I would not be better off by reformatting my hard drive and installing XP from scratch versus buying the upgrade and installing it on top of W98. Pardon my lack of understanding, but if I buy the XP upgrade, will it resolve the problems I have been having with W98? Upgrading is certainly the least expensive route, but I am ...

  1. #1

    Default XP - Upgrade or Start Over?

    I have an older desktop that was originally loaded with
    Windows 95, but was upgraded to W98 several years ago.
    With the various problems I have had with W98 (blue
    screens, system lockup, etc.), I can't help but wonder if
    I would not be better off by reformatting my hard drive
    and installing XP from scratch versus buying the upgrade
    and installing it on top of W98. Pardon my lack of
    understanding, but if I buy the XP upgrade, will it
    resolve the problems I have been having with W98?
    Upgrading is certainly the least expensive route, but I am
    tired of the problems and want to do it right. Appreciate
    all guidance/recommendations. Thanks.
    Rick Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: XP - Upgrade or Start Over?

    You can buy the Retail XP Upgrade and do a clean installation. After you reformat your hard drive and insert the XP CD, at an early point in the installation process, the XP installation wizard will ask you to insert your Windows 98 CD in order to verify that you are eligible for the upgrade.

    This is how I upgraded to XP.

    Joe

    "Rick" <rwb0429hotmail.com> wrote in message news:468501c34108$28a87ba0$a601280aphx.gbl...
    > I have an older desktop that was originally loaded with
    > Windows 95, but was upgraded to W98 several years ago.
    > With the various problems I have had with W98 (blue
    > screens, system lockup, etc.), I can't help but wonder if
    > I would not be better off by reformatting my hard drive
    > and installing XP from scratch versus buying the upgrade
    > and installing it on top of W98. Pardon my lack of
    > understanding, but if I buy the XP upgrade, will it
    > resolve the problems I have been having with W98?
    > Upgrading is certainly the least expensive route, but I am
    > tired of the problems and want to do it right. Appreciate
    > all guidance/recommendations. Thanks.
    Joe727 Guest

  3. #3

    P.S. just make sure your PC hardware is capable of properly running XP.

    Joe

  4. #4

    Thanks for your help.

    Rick Guest

  5. #5

    "Rick" <rwb0429hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have an older desktop that was originally loaded with
    > Windows 95, but was upgraded to W98 several years ago.
    > With the various problems I have had with W98 (blue
    > screens, system lockup, etc.), I can't help but wonder if
    > I would not be better off by reformatting my hard drive
    > and installing XP from scratch versus buying the upgrade
    > and installing it on top of W98. Pardon my lack of
    > understanding, but if I buy the XP upgrade, will it
    > resolve the problems I have been having with W98?
    > Upgrading is certainly the least expensive route, but I am
    > tired of the problems and want to do it right. Appreciate
    > all guidance/recommendations. Thanks.
    With what you describe as an older system that had 95 out of the box, I
    would not recommend putting XP on it. It is a very intensive OS and needs
    faster components to work to its best ability. With the cost of prebuilt
    systems inc. XP home being so low right, the money spent on the upgrade XP
    would be better spent on a new)er) system. Just MHO. Post back with what you
    now have and the regulars here may be better able to help you.

    Also, it is better to view this (these) newsgroups using the Newsreader
    included in Outlook Express as you can get back much easier. Here are the
    details needed to be added to the program. Open OE, click tools, accounts,
    add, news, then put your display name in, email if you want to, then add
    this as your news server msnews.microsoft.com and click ok.

    Graham Guest

  6. #6

    >I have an older desktop that was originally loaded with
    >Windows 95
    Before you do anything with XP check the system
    requirements. You didnt post your system's processor or
    RAM, so here are the basics needed for running XP...

    300 MHz or higher processor
    128 MB RAM
    1.5 GB free hard drive space (not currently in use)

    These are the minimumsreccomended to run windows XP, and
    having dealt with people who install programs on systems
    with the bare minimums for an O/S before... (thier
    programs are slow or even hang, the system locks up
    altogether if you like doing anything that uses a fair bit
    of RAM)

    If your system doesn't at least have these minimums
    already, I'd save your money and get the cheapest "new"
    system with windows XP already installed. It may cost you
    less in the long run.

    Danielle
    Danielle Guest

  7. #7

    >Normally, my advice is for almost
    >everyone to at least try the upgrade first.
    OH MAN

    <shakes head>

    always backup your inportant stuff and alway perform a clean install.

    if the older os especially ME has something wrong in it this will transfer
    during the upgrade to give you grief. Then they will come in here again
    stating XP is a complete waste of time.

    --
    sqr
    Overseer: alt.os.windows-xp

    sqr [MVP] [MSFT] etc. Guest

  8. #8

    This has been cussed and discussed about before on other groups... Start
    over.
    1)Upgrades are problems waiting to happen as they exacerbate those from the
    system being upgraded.
    2) And I agree with comment that a new PC is probably in order as anything
    that had Win 9x will NOT have either HD or RAM capacity required by XP.
    (This was definitely true in my case.) Computer prices aren't as high as
    back then either.

    Malv

    "Rick" <rwb0429hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have an older desktop that was originally loaded with
    > Windows 95, but was upgraded to W98 several years ago.
    > With the various problems I have had with W98 (blue
    > screens, system lockup, etc.), I can't help but wonder if
    > I would not be better off by reformatting my hard drive
    > and installing XP from scratch versus buying the upgrade
    > and installing it on top of W98. Pardon my lack of
    > understanding, but if I buy the XP upgrade, will it
    > resolve the problems I have been having with W98?
    > Upgrading is certainly the least expensive route, but I am
    > tired of the problems and want to do it right. Appreciate
    > all guidance/recommendations. Thanks.

    Malvern Guest