Professional Web Applications Themes

xp_send mail requires user? - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

I'm using xp_sendmail in a project (which is the first time it has been used on this SQL Server installation) and it is returning the following error: xp_sendmail: Procedure expects parameter user, which was not supplied. Even making a simple call such as the following: xp_sendmail recipients = 'ralphamerx.org', message = 'Test Message' ....will produce the error above. The mail service has been started and we're using a domain level NT account with administrative permissions for testing purposes. Even though no doentation states that xp_sendmail has a parameter user, when trying to supply it because of the above error, an ...

  1. #1

    Default xp_send mail requires user?

    I'm using xp_sendmail in a project (which is the first
    time it has been used on this SQL Server installation)
    and it is returning the following error:

    xp_sendmail: Procedure expects parameter user, which was
    not supplied.

    Even making a simple call such as the following:

    xp_sendmail recipients = 'ralphamerx.org', message
    = 'Test Message'

    ....will produce the error above. The mail service has
    been started and we're using a domain level NT account
    with administrative permissions for testing purposes.

    Even though no doentation states that xp_sendmail has
    a parameter user, when trying to supply it because of
    the above error, an invalid parameter error is returned
    (which would appear to be correct, since xp_sendmail does
    not have an user parameter). I've tried supplying the
    set_user parameter and dbuse parameter just in case it
    was a context issue, but these did not resolve the issue
    either.

    Is is possibly a sproc that xp_sendmail is calling
    internally that is returing the error?

    Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

    Ralph Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: xp_send mail requires user?

    I am assuming that it is giving the user error because it doesn't have an
    Exchange profile to send the mail FROM in Exchange.
    In SQL Enterprise Manager, when you right-click the server name and choose
    Properties, choose the Server Settings tab and see what email account you
    have registered from your Exchange Server. Try using this email account to
    send emails from other software such as Outlook Express. This will validate
    that this account is active and working.

    It's a good chance that I am totally off base with this guess. I am still
    learning this stuff. Good luck to you.

    Davin Mickelson

    "Ralph" <ralphamrex.org> wrote in message
    > I'm using xp_sendmail in a project (which is the first
    > time it has been used on this SQL Server installation)
    > and it is returning the following error:
    >
    > xp_sendmail: Procedure expects parameter user, which was
    > not supplied.
    >
    > Even making a simple call such as the following:
    >
    > xp_sendmail recipients = 'ralphamerx.org', message
    > = 'Test Message'
    >
    > ...will produce the error above. The mail service has
    > been started and we're using a domain level NT account
    > with administrative permissions for testing purposes.
    >
    > Even though no doentation states that xp_sendmail has
    > a parameter user, when trying to supply it because of
    > the above error, an invalid parameter error is returned
    > (which would appear to be correct, since xp_sendmail does
    > not have an user parameter). I've tried supplying the
    > set_user parameter and dbuse parameter just in case it
    > was a context issue, but these did not resolve the issue
    > either.
    >
    > Is is possibly a sproc that xp_sendmail is calling
    > internally that is returing the error?
    >
    > Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

    Davin Guest