Professional Web Applications Themes

Xtra Xtra Xtra User required to download Xtra - Macromedia Director Basics

Hi there, this is ghostie* from Berlin, Germany. I am using the Animated Gif Xtra in Shockwave. All tests on my Desktop CPU were successfully displaying the integrated gif-pics. As I have showed my Production to my customers, this dammin Xtra was not found on their PC and a message told us to download this rubbish. I can remember, that i have added the Animated Gif Xtra in my Director Movie und i expected that this would be enough. ("Movie/Add/Xtras" or something like that ) What?s wrong?...

  1. #1

    Default Xtra Xtra Xtra User required to download Xtra

    Hi there,

    this is ghostie* from Berlin, Germany.

    I am using the Animated Gif Xtra in Shockwave. All tests on my Desktop CPU
    were successfully displaying the integrated gif-pics. As I have showed my
    Production to my customers, this dammin Xtra was not found on their PC and a
    message told us to download this rubbish. I can remember, that i have added the
    Animated Gif Xtra in my Director Movie und i expected that this would be
    enough. ("Movie/Add/Xtras" or something like that )

    What?s wrong?

    ghostie* Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Xtra Xtra Xtra User required to download Xtra

    When connected to the Internet, use Modify->Movie->Xtras to look at the list of
    xtras your movie needs. You must check the box marked "Download if needed" for
    every xtra used. The "Include in projector" option will only include an xtra in
    a projector, not in a Shockwave movie.

    Andrew

    Andrew Morton Guest

  3. #3

    Ok, ok, ok!

    No answer needed! If you have similar problems, read this:

    Enabling Xtras downloading
    The following steps explain how to create movies that will download Xtras into
    the Shockwave Xtras folder. The same steps will work with files saved as
    Shockwave movies or files that will be saved as projectors using the 'Shockwave
    player' projector option.

    Steps to enable Xtras downloading: 1 In a text editor, open the file named
    xtrainfo.txt located in the root of the Director 8 application folder. This
    file instructs the movie which Xtras are available for download and from which
    URL those Xtras can be downloaded. If you are using an Xtra that is not listed
    in xtrainfo.txt, contact the Xtra devloper Xtra to ask if the Xtra is available
    as a downloadable package. If the Xtra is to be used in a Shockwave movie, the
    package must include a 'safe for Shockwave' version of the Xtra.

    If a downloadable package is not available for the Xtra, it will not be a
    candidate for the Xtras downloading feature.

    If the Xtra developer has made a downloadable Xtra package, you will need to
    insert the necessary information (provided by the Xtra developer) into
    xtrainfo.txt.

    Note: please see the doentation provided in xtrainfo.txt for more
    information on this step.

    2 Launch Director and open the movie that uses the Xtra.

    3 Open the Movie Xtras dialog by choosing Modify > Movie > Xtras.
    4 Select the Xtra in the list which needs to be downloaded and select the
    Download if Needed option.

    Note: A connection to the Internet is required for this step to function. The
    URL where the downloadable Xtra package resides is verified at this point and
    stored in the movie file.

    5 Save the movie.

    When the movie is run, either in the Shockwave Player or as a projector, it
    will check the user's Shockwave installation to verify what Xtras are installed
    and will prompt the user if an Xtra will be downloaded.

    Last updated: May 24, 2002
    Created: September 15, 2000

    Taken from:
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/director/ts/doents/sw8_xtras.htm[/url]