Professional Web Applications Themes

Xwindows Server - SCO

OK, I've seen discussion on this before in the group, but since I have no need for Xwindows on my SCO box, I've never tried it. I made a comment to a friend that VNC could be used as an Xwindows Server to connect to a Unix box from Windows. I thought I read this here in the SCO group. He thinks I am crazy. And since I may be, I'd like to know if anyone can tell me for sure if this can be done? I didn't understand it when I read it, but I'm pretty sure I saw ...

  1. #1

    Default Xwindows Server

    OK, I've seen discussion on this before in the group, but
    since I have no need for Xwindows on my SCO box, I've
    never tried it.

    I made a comment to a friend that VNC could be used as an
    Xwindows Server to connect to a Unix box from Windows.
    I thought I read this here in the SCO group. He thinks
    I am crazy. And since I may be, I'd like to know if anyone can
    tell me for sure if this can be done? I didn't understand it
    when I read it, but I'm pretty sure I saw several people
    recommend VNC as a way to access X from a Windows PC.

    Am I loosing it?

    Bill

    Bill Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Xwindows Server

    Bill Andersen typed (on Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 07:58:17PM +0000):
    | OK, I've seen discussion on this before in the group, but
    | since I have no need for Xwindows on my SCO box, I've
    | never tried it.
    |
    | I made a comment to a friend that VNC could be used as an
    | Xwindows Server to connect to a Unix box from Windows.
    | I thought I read this here in the SCO group. He thinks
    | I am crazy. And since I may be, I'd like to know if anyone can
    | tell me for sure if this can be done? I didn't understand it
    | when I read it, but I'm pretty sure I saw several people
    | recommend VNC as a way to access X from a Windows PC.
    |
    | Am I loosing it?

    I dont know if your loosing it; perhaps, though, you are losing it.

    I routinely use VNS in both directions: show a Windows Desktop on an
    X-Window display; and 't'other way 'round as well.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest

  3. #3

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:

    Yeah, Yeah, I can't type "losing" without putting in that second "o"
    for the life of me. I DO know better, my fingers just ignore my
    brain. It is a wonder all my "the" aren't "hte" too :)

    OK, now for the big question. Is "VNS" a typo or is that some other
    version of VNC I don't know about (Virtual Network Server?) I'd guess
    it is a typo...

    Anyway, based on your answer, I'm still wondering this...

    Is VNC actually an X server? i.e. When you view the X-Windows desktop
    on a Unix box from a Windows computer, are you really using the "X"
    protocol or is it using VNC Server on the Unix box to allow viewing
    the X-Windows session?

    I'm trying to help my friend find a cheep X-Windows server to
    access a Unix box from his Windows PC. But he can't put VNC
    on the Unix box (cause it ain't his). Will VNC do this?

    I'm using actual terminology here, as most people would think accessing
    a Unix box from Windows would require an X client, but as we all know,
    it is really an X server (strange).

    Thanks

    Bill

    Bill Guest

  4. #4

    Bill Andersen typed (on Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 09:35:17PM +0000):
    | Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    | > I dont know if your loosing it; perhaps, though, you are losing it.
    |
    | Yeah, Yeah, I can't type "losing" without putting in that second "o"
    | for the life of me. I DO know better, my fingers just ignore my
    | brain. It is a wonder all my "the" aren't "hte" too :)
    |
    | > I routinely use VNS in both directions: show a Windows Desktop on an
    | > X-Window display; and 't'other way 'round as well.
    |
    | OK, now for the big question. Is "VNS" a typo or is that some other
    | version of VNC I don't know about (Virtual Network Server?) I'd guess
    | it is a typo...

    Sorry. my typo. I did mean VNC.

    | Anyway, based on your answer, I'm still wondering this...
    |
    | Is VNC actually an X server? i.e. When you view the X-Windows desktop
    | on a Unix box from a Windows computer, are you really using the "X"
    | protocol or is it using VNC Server on the Unix box to allow viewing
    | the X-Windows session?

    Huh? When I use vncviewer, I need to be in X Windows.

    | I'm trying to help my friend find a cheep X-Windows server to
    | access a Unix box from his Windows PC. But he can't put VNC
    | on the Unix box (cause it ain't his). Will VNC do this?
    |
    | I'm using actual terminology here, as most people would think accessing
    | a Unix box from Windows would require an X client, but as we all know,
    | it is really an X server (strange).

    You need the vncserver binary on the machine whose desktop you want to
    view, and you need the vncviewer binary on the machine where you will be
    viewing.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest

  5. #5

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:58:17 +0000, Bill Andersen wrote:

    In X, the server runs the display (monitor and keyboard), and clients are
    programs. In VNC, the clients run the display, and the server tells them
    what to display.

    Xvnc is both an X server and a VNC server. X clients (programs) connect
    to Xvnc, but instead of drawing to a graphics card like most X servers,
    Xvnc tells it's VNC clients (like vncviewer) what to display. Also,
    instead of taking input from a local mouse and keyboard like most X
    servers, Xvnc takes input from it's VNC clients.

    What you probably want is to run Xvnc on the Linux box, let X programs
    connect to it, and run the Windows VNC client. Type "vncserver". It will
    tell you the name of the X display, and this must be in the environment of
    the X clients.

    Alternately, x0rfbserver is a VNC server that connects to an already
    running X server. This is similar in function to the Windows VNC server.

    --
    Tom Felker, <com>
    <http://vlevel.sourceforge.net> - Stop fiddling with the volume knob.

    Do they think copying can be _totally_ eradicated? Don't they realize
    attempts to do that hurt customers, but help determined pirates? In
    their vein attempt to save their dying industry, should they be
    allowed to destroy the best communication tool known to humanity?

    Tom Guest

  6. #6

    Try Xwin Server from Cygwin/Xfree86 (can download free with other open
    source Cygwin utilities and programs from cygwin.com).

    Fast access to an scologin X desktop on our office LAN, but too slow over a
    VPN link from home (uplink from home only 256K, uplink from office only
    384K) due to all the network traffic with X. Have to use Windows RDC to an
    XP box at the office, and run Xwin on that system to get decent performance
    from home.

    I had planned to try VNC, but couldn't get the Xvnc components to compile.
    No response yet to my post about that, but hope to try it for remote work.

    David P. Lurie

    David Guest

  7. #7

    Bill Andersen wrote:

    JPR wrote:

    Just to recap for people searching in the future...

    VNC is NOT able to display X-Windows on a Windows PC WITHOUT the
    corresponding VNC Server software installed on the Unix machine.

    The reason I want to emphasize this is because while searching
    through archives, I found bits and pieces of threads that lead me
    to believe you COULD use VNC Viewer as an X-Windows Server like
    WinAxe. It appears that everyone just assumed the user had full access
    to the Unix box and could easily install Xvnc for use in X-Windows.

    If you can't put any part of VNC on the Unix box, running VNC Viewer
    on a Windows PC will not help you in any way in accessing X-Windows.

    VNC is NOT an X-Windows Client/Server. It is a set of binaries
    that allow you to view and control other computers using VNC Viewer
    and VNC Server and what ever protocol VNC uses. It is a useful
    tool, but not X-Windows software.

    Bill
    Bill Guest

  8. #8

    Bill Andersen wrote (on Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 03:41:36PM +0000):

    > JPR wrote:
    >
    > Just to recap for people searching in the future...
    >
    > VNC is NOT able to display X-Windows on a Windows PC WITHOUT the
    > corresponding VNC Server software installed on the Unix machine.
    >
    > The reason I want to emphasize this is because while searching
    > through archives, I found bits and pieces of threads that lead me
    > to believe you COULD use VNC Viewer as an X-Windows Server like
    > WinAxe. It appears that everyone just assumed the user had full access
    > to the Unix box and could easily install Xvnc for use in X-Windows.
    >
    > If you can't put any part of VNC on the Unix box, running VNC Viewer
    > on a Windows PC will not help you in any way in accessing X-Windows.
    >
    > VNC is NOT an X-Windows Client/Server. It is a set of binaries
    > that allow you to view and control other computers using VNC Viewer
    > and VNC Server and what ever protocol VNC uses. It is a useful
    > tool, but not X-Windows software.
    >
    > Bill[/ref]

    Here's my question: I have a (Linux) box which, for whatever reason, X looks
    awful. Although I'm a big fan of the command line, as it happens I *must* have
    a graphical display on this box.

    So, does VNC give me a possiblilty of a better display, or am I limited to the
    junk I see on X Windows?

    NYZ

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, EA, LLM com
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
    Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com
    Nachman Guest

  9. #9

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 11:51:46 -0400, Nachman Yaakov Ziskind wrote:

    [snip]
    The visual appearance depends on the window manager you are running on top
    of X. VNC will use the same window manager, but through the VNC protocol.
    Have a look at "http://www.plig.org/xwinman/". There are lot of choices.

    --

    If at first you don't succeed,
    read the manual......