Professional Web Applications Themes

x unix: NFS server x not responding still trying - Linux / Unix Administration

I have NIS mounting issue. The client can mount the files from server, but constantly get "not responding". And, I have to reboot the client in order to mount files from server. Any idea?? Thanks in advance....

  1. #1

    Default x unix: NFS server x not responding still trying

    I have NIS mounting issue. The client can mount the files from
    server, but constantly get "not responding". And, I have to reboot
    the client in order to mount files from server.

    Any idea??

    Thanks in advance.

    blackdog Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: x unix: NFS server x not responding still trying

    In article <googlegroups.com>,
    "blackdog" <com> wrote:

    fix your flakey network.

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    Michael Vilain wrote:

    > fix your flakey network.[/ref]

    Check. Common stuff like incorrect full/half duplex
    or switching MTU across a router.

    On the chance this is a remote mount across a WAN,
    consider a caching engine like the ones from Cisco
    or look at the NFS version of the mount man page
    for options proto (you want TCP if you're having
    problems), timeo (use a higher number for a slower
    connection), and whatever others seem appropriate.

    Wrong answer: Switching from hard to soft mounts
    switches from retries to failures.

    Doug Guest

  4. #4

    Doug Freyburger wrote:

    > > fix your flakey network.[/ref]
    >
    > Check. Common stuff like incorrect full/half duplex
    > or switching MTU across a router.[/ref]

    how to check switching MTU router?
    thanks

    blackdog Guest

  5. #5

    blackdog wrote: [/ref]
    > [/ref][/ref]

    BTW, there is no such thing as NIS mounting. You
    must mean NFS mounting by machines that are NIS
    clients.
     [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    > [/ref]

    > how to check switching MTU router?[/ref]

    Login to routers. Ask it the MTU on all interfaces
    from one end to the other. See if they are all the
    same. While you're on the routers check the latency
    at each step and end those together.

    Login to each host. Use ifconfig to view the MTU on
    various interfaces. See if they are all the same.

    For example the default MTU on ethernet (10, 100 and
    crzily enough 100) are all 1500. The MTU on FDDI is
    4500 IIRC. Various types of WAN line have all sorts
    of MTU sizes. A carefully designed gigabit ethernet
    infastruction will use jumbo frames with a higher MTU.

    The lower the CPU performance of the routers on the
    end to end path, the more the impact a change in
    MTU has. Getting 1500 byte frames broken into 750
    byte frames doubles the number of interupts on the
    receiving end and interupt time domain is one of the
    most common limiting factors.

    An amusing story about network bottlenecks. I once
    adminstered a network of workstations and some file
    servers. After a migration to a new building the
    performance fell through the floor. I got the Visio
    of the design and flipped out. All file servers and
    web servers were on one large switch. All of the
    CAD workstations were on another large switch. There
    was one ISL between the switches. The netheads said
    that it stayed at 80% of saturation and was therefore
    not overloaded. I pointed out that TCP and UDP-NFS2
    both used a back-off formula to deal with slow lines
    and I showed nfsstat and iostat outputs that showed
    that all of the workstations thought the line was slow.
    It held at 80% because the back-off formula stopped
    backing off at that point. Moral of the story - your
    network architecture can effect your performance and
    both bandwidth and latency matter more than average
    load across a channel.

    Doug Guest