Professional Web Applications Themes

Yahoo Messenger funkiness - Mac Networking

Running OS 9.2.2 on a new model iBook. All of a sudden, Yahoo Messenger goes funky on me. It crashes upon attempting to connect with the Internet, giving errors of type 1, 2 and 3. Also had a system error, type 10, requiring a restart. Have deleted preferences several times, reinstalled, and downloaded the newest version (2.5.3) and installed it. Upped the memory setting to twice the recommended level. Still the same errors. This just started happening out of the blue. Nothing's changed -- no new extension sets, no new software. Any recommendations on how to fix this, past what's ...

  1. #1

    Default Yahoo Messenger funkiness

    Running OS 9.2.2 on a new model iBook. All of a sudden, Yahoo
    Messenger goes funky on me. It crashes upon attempting to connect with
    the Internet, giving errors of type 1, 2 and 3. Also had a system
    error, type 10, requiring a restart. Have deleted preferences several
    times, reinstalled, and downloaded the newest version (2.5.3) and
    installed it. Upped the memory setting to twice the recommended level.
    Still the same errors. This just started happening out of the blue.
    Nothing's changed -- no new extension sets, no new software.

    Any recommendations on how to fix this, past what's already been done?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY
    [url]http://www.millenniumhwy.net[/url] hbelkins(at)mis.net

    "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    --Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt

    Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)!

    Vote Ernie Fletcher for Governor of Kentucky! [url]http://www.fletcher2003.com[/url]

    To reply, just remove the restrictorplates...
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Yahoo Messenger funkiness

    H.B. Elkins:
    >Running OS 9.2.2 on a new model iBook. All of a sudden, Yahoo
    >Messenger goes funky on me. It crashes upon attempting to connect with
    >the Internet, giving errors of type 1, 2 and 3. Also
    I am on an iMac running 9.1. and experiencing the same thing.

    Yahoo Messenger was running fine last night for me. Today it either quits
    unexpectedly, freezes up, or crashes my computer every time I try to connect.

    As you did I tried reinstalling with no luck.

    A friend's Linux version quit working at the same time while the Windows users
    I have talked to are fine. At this point I'm asuming the problem is on Yahoo's
    end and we'll just have to wait it out.
    blueglass Guest

  3. #3

    [email]blueglasspostingaol.comn[/email]omail (blueglass) wrote:
    >I am on an iMac running 9.1. and experiencing the same thing.
    >
    >Yahoo Messenger was running fine last night for me. Today it either quits
    >unexpectedly, freezes up, or crashes my computer every time I try to connect.
    >
    >As you did I tried reinstalling with no luck.
    >
    >A friend's Linux version quit working at the same time while the Windows users
    >I have talked to are fine. At this point I'm asuming the problem is on Yahoo's
    >end and we'll just have to wait it out.

    I have access to a Windows machine and it works fine there.

    I booted into OS X last night and Messenger worked fine in that OS.

    Would it be possible for this to be an OS-specific issue for the
    login?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++

  4. #4

    [email]blueglasspostingaol.comn[/email]omail (blueglass) wrote in message news:<20030925195920.19414.00000267mb-m02.aol.com>...
    > H.B. Elkins:
    >
    > >Running OS 9.2.2 on a new model iBook. All of a sudden, Yahoo
    > >Messenger goes funky on me. It crashes upon attempting to connect with
    > >the Internet, giving errors of type 1, 2 and 3. Also
    >
    > I am on an iMac running 9.1. and experiencing the same thing.
    >
    > Yahoo Messenger was running fine last night for me. Today it either quits
    > unexpectedly, freezes up, or crashes my computer every time I try to connect.
    >
    > As you did I tried reinstalling with no luck.
    >
    > A friend's Linux version quit working at the same time while the Windows users
    > I have talked to are fine. At this point I'm asuming the problem is on Yahoo's
    > end and we'll just have to wait it out.
    A friend of mine just told me that he's having the same exact problem.
    It was working fine 9/25, but this morning 9/26 it suddenly started
    giving him Type 2 errors. He has not installed nor changed anything
    on his ibook. Im using Yahoo on Windows and i'm not having any
    problems. Please let me know if you guys find out what may be wrong.
    thanks
    Duuster Guest

  5. #5

    I'm having the same issue in OS 9.1 and 9.2.2 but OS X works fine? I
    just happened all of a sudden. If anyone knows how to help please
    offer suggestions

    Thanks

    [email]hbelkinsrestrictorplates.mis.net[/email] (H.B. Elkins) wrote in message news:<3f7444a4.450777news.newsguy.com>...
    > [email]blueglasspostingaol.comn[/email]omail (blueglass) wrote:
    >
    > >I am on an iMac running 9.1. and experiencing the same thing.
    > >
    > >Yahoo Messenger was running fine last night for me. Today it either quits
    > >unexpectedly, freezes up, or crashes my computer every time I try to connect.
    > >
    > >As you did I tried reinstalling with no luck.
    > >
    > >A friend's Linux version quit working at the same time while the Windows users
    > >I have talked to are fine. At this point I'm asuming the problem is on Yahoo's
    > >end and we'll just have to wait it out.
    >

    > I have access to a Windows machine and it works fine there.
    >
    > I booted into OS X last night and Messenger worked fine in that OS.
    >
    > Would it be possible for this to be an OS-specific issue for the
    > login?
    > +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    > H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY
    > [url]http://www.millenniumhwy.net[/url] hbelkins(at)mis.net
    >
    > "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    > --Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt
    >
    > Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)!
    >
    > Vote Ernie Fletcher for Governor of Kentucky! [url]http://www.fletcher2003.com[/url]
    >
    > To reply, just remove the restrictorplates...
    > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    jon Guest

  6. #6

    >Please let me know if you guys find out what may be wrong.
    >thanks
    Or for that matter does anyone know how to contact Yahoo and tell them it's
    broken? I can't find an email address anywhere in the help section of their web
    site.
    blueglass Guest

  7. #7

    [email]joncorporates.com[/email] (jon) wrote:
    >I'm having the same issue in OS 9.1 and 9.2.2 but OS X works fine? I
    >just happened all of a sudden. If anyone knows how to help please
    >offer suggestions
    This is on my iBook. I will have to test my Lombard Powerbook (9.2.2)
    to see if it's having the same issues.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++

  8. #8

    I said:
    >Or for that matter does anyone know how to contact Yahoo and tell them it's
    >broken? I can't find an email address anywhere in the help section of their
    >web
    >site.
    Then I figured out how to contact them.
    Go to their help page at [url]http://help./help/us/mesg/[/url] At the top right
    you'll see "Have a question about Yahoo! Messenger? Ask Yahoo! Help." Enter
    your question. It will try to pull up a relevant answer and fail. When it asks
    if the answer helped, tell it not at all. Then it will give you a form to
    comment on.

    Maybe if they hear from more than one person with this problem they'll fix it.
    blueglass Guest

  9. #9

    In article <3f735aec.171661news.newsguy.com>,
    [email]hbelkinsrestrictorplates.mis.net[/email] (H.B. Elkins) wrote:
    > Running OS 9.2.2 on a new model iBook. All of a sudden, Yahoo
    > Messenger goes funky on me. It crashes upon attempting to connect with
    > the Internet, giving errors of type 1, 2 and 3. Also had a system
    > error, type 10, requiring a restart. Have deleted preferences several
    > times, reinstalled, and downloaded the newest version (2.5.3) and
    > installed it. Upped the memory setting to twice the recommended level.
    > Still the same errors. This just started happening out of the blue.
    > Nothing's changed -- no new extension sets, no new software.
    Same thing here, all of a sudden, on a desktop G4 running OS 9.1. First
    noticed it last night - exact symtpoms and failed solutions you
    described. Very strange (and annoying).

    --
    To send email, remove "no_spam" and "invalid" from the address shown above
    SubSonic Guest

  10. #10

    SubSonic <subsonic.no_spaminvalid.bestweb.net> wrote:
    >Same thing here, all of a sudden, on a desktop G4 running OS 9.1. First
    >noticed it last night - exact symtpoms and failed solutions you
    >described. Very strange (and annoying).
    The problem seemed to have resolved itself as of last night.

    So -- what on the server side would cause such an error, specific to
    only one platform? Why would this happen to pre-OS X Macs, but not to
    OS X Macs, Windows and other platforms?

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++

  11. #11

    In comp.sys.mac.comm H.B. Elkins <hbelkinsrestrictorplates.mis.net> wrote:
    > Running OS 9.2.2 on a new model iBook. All of a sudden, Yahoo
    > Messenger goes funky on me. It crashes upon attempting to connect with
    > the Internet, giving errors of type 1, 2 and 3. Also had a system
    > error, type 10, requiring a restart. Have deleted preferences several
    > times, reinstalled, and downloaded the newest version (2.5.3) and
    > installed it. Upped the memory setting to twice the recommended level.
    > Still the same errors. This just started happening out of the blue.
    > Nothing's changed -- no new extension sets, no new software.
    > Any recommendations on how to fix this, past what's already been done?
    Are you guys aware that Yahoo upgraded its end? I am not sure if Yahoo
    Messenger for Macs are upgraded, but check that. I know Gaim, Trillian,
    etc. have problems. The latest versions of Yahoo Messenger don't. Here
    is an example of Trillian:
    [url]http://trillian.cc/forums/showthread.php?s=b2ec023025caefaddd1331ec33db78e3& threadid=45869[/url]
    --
    "Now I have you where I want you... where is my jar of Bull ants?"
    --unknown
    | |o o| | E-mail: [email]philpiearthlink.netA[/email]NT or [email]philpiapu.eduA[/email]NT
    \ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )
    ANTant@zimage.com Guest

  12. #12

    "H.B. Elkins" read this in the National Enquirer :
    > Running OS 9.2.2 on a new model iBook. All of a sudden, Yahoo
    > Messenger goes funky on me. It crashes upon attempting to connect with
    > the Internet, giving errors of type 1, 2 and 3. Also had a system
    > error, type 10, requiring a restart. Have deleted preferences several
    > times, reinstalled, and downloaded the newest version (2.5.3) and
    > installed it. Upped the memory setting to twice the recommended level.
    > Still the same errors. This just started happening out of the blue.
    > Nothing's changed -- no new extension sets, no new software.

    Wow. I had the same thing happen this week. OS 9.22, 867QS. It just stopped
    working. Crashed me as often as I tried to use it. Tried ditching the old
    one and reinstalling a newly downloaded version. No avail.

    -- TAPKAE
    [url]http://tapkae.com[/url]

    "He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how."
    Nietzsche

    TAPKAE Guest

  13. #13

    TAPKAE <e.com> wrote:
    >Wow. I had the same thing happen this week. OS 9.22, 867QS. It just stopped
    >working. Crashed me as often as I tried to use it. Tried ditching the old
    >one and reinstalling a newly downloaded version. No avail.
    Apparently it was a server-side issue, specific only to pre-OS X Macs.

    It's since resolved.

  14. #14

    "H.B. Elkins" read this in the National Enquirer :
    >> Wow. I had the same thing happen this week. OS 9.22, 867QS. It just stopped
    >> working. Crashed me as often as I tried to use it. Tried ditching the old
    >> one and reinstalling a newly downloaded version. No avail.
    >
    > Apparently it was a server-side issue, specific only to pre-OS X Macs.
    >
    > It's since resolved.

    Thanks. I love a happy ending.