Professional Web Applications Themes

yellow pages service/data - PHP Development

If I wanted to run somehting similar to a yellow pages directory on a site... How would I go about that? Has any one tried this before? -- http://www.douglassdavis.com...

  1. #1

    Default yellow pages service/data

    --
    http://www.douglassdavis.com

    http://www.douglassdavis.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: yellow pages service/data

    In article <googlegroups.com>,
    "http://www.douglassdavis.com" <com> wrote:

    Well, you won't be able to call it "Yellow Pages" because that term is
    copyrighted. There's lots of directory type code out there. Once you
    have a functional spec on what you want the pages to do, you can either
    write it yourself or find free code that does most of what you want from
    the various php code libraries or buy code or hire a consultant to write
    it.

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Michael Vilain scraped:

    [Yellow Pages]

    <pedant>Trademarked</pedant>

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Guest

  4. #4

    Dylan Parry wrote:

    > <pedant>Trademarked</pedant>
    >[/ref]

    Well you are both incorrect. "Yellow Pages" is neither "Copyrighted" or
    "Trademarked" in the US. Don't know about other countries.

    Having worked for AT&T Yellow Pages for better then 30 years (before
    retirement), I speak with authority. The term "Yellow Pages" was
    deliberately not trademarked to encourage the widest possible use of the
    term. That strategy worked very well while AT&T was a monopoly.
    Arnie Guest

  5. #5

    In article
    <HplOe.123783$ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    Arnie Goetchius <net> wrote:

    > > <pedant>Trademarked</pedant>
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > Well you are both incorrect. "Yellow Pages" is neither "Copyrighted" or
    > "Trademarked" in the US. Don't know about other countries.
    >
    > Having worked for AT&T Yellow Pages for better then 30 years (before
    > retirement), I speak with authority. The term "Yellow Pages" was
    > deliberately not trademarked to encourage the widest possible use of the
    > term. That strategy worked very well while AT&T was a monopoly.[/ref]

    Thank you for the clarification. I know that SUN had problems with the
    YellowPages authentication service in the UK where it _was_ trademarked.
    So they renamed it to "NIS". Not the same thing as a phonebook
    directory service, but SUN probably didn't want to litigate that with
    British Telecom.

    Anyway, the OP has many options for this project. As with most "how do
    I" posts, they need to post more information or figure out just what
    features they want before they ask such general questions on news
    groups. I guess the standard answer still applies:

    "That depends"

    Michael Guest

  6. #6

    Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Arnie Goetchius scraped:

    >> <pedant>Trademarked</pedant>[/ref]
    >
    > Well you are both incorrect. "Yellow Pages" is neither "Copyrighted" or
    > "Trademarked" in the US. Don't know about other countries.[/ref]

    No, I am correct. I didn't say that the term "Yellow Pages" *is*
    trademarked, but merely pointed out that the correct word was
    trademarked and not copyrighted. Whether Yellow Pages is a trademark or
    not is irrelevant.

    Besides, I am not in the US, and section three of
    http://www.yell.com/legal/home.html clearly states that "Yellow Pages™
    is a trademark of Yell" which is a British company, AFAIK.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Guest

  7. #7

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

    > > <pedant>Trademarked</pedant>
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > Well you are both incorrect. "Yellow Pages" is neither "Copyrighted" or
    > "Trademarked" in the US. Don't know about other countries.[/ref]
    ^^^^^^^^^

    Quoting from my Aliant telephone book:

    "Yellow Pages, YellowPages.ca and the Walking Fingers logo are
    registered trademarks of Yellow Pages Group Co. in Canada, used
    under license."

    And superscript "TM" follows every other mention of the term "Yellow
    Pages" in the telephone book.

    Visit http://www.yellowpages.ca/ and see what they have to say about it.

    --
    ``Why don't you find a more appropiate newsgroup to post this tripe into?
    This is a meeting place for a totally differnt kind of "vision impairment".
    off-topic religious/political post, March 28, 2005

    Norman Guest

  8. #8

    Norman L. DeForest wrote:

    >>Well you are both incorrect. "Yellow Pages" is neither "Copyrighted" or
    >>"Trademarked" in the US. Don't know about other countries.[/ref]
    >
    > ^^^^^^^^^

    > Quoting from my Aliant telephone book:
    >
    > "Yellow Pages, YellowPages.ca and the Walking Fingers logo are
    > registered trademarks of Yellow Pages Group Co. in Canada, used
    > under license."
    >
    > And superscript "TM" follows every other mention of the term "Yellow
    > Pages" in the telephone book.
    >
    > Visit http://www.yellowpages.ca/ and see what they have to say about it.
    >[/ref]

    Last I heard, Canada is not part of the US.
    Arnie Guest

  9. #9

    Dylan Parry wrote:

    >> Well you are both incorrect. "Yellow Pages" is neither "Copyrighted"
    >> or "Trademarked" in the US. Don't know about other countries.[/ref]
    >

    > No, I am correct. I didn't say that the term "Yellow Pages" *is*
    > trademarked, but merely pointed out that the correct word was
    > trademarked and not copyrighted. Whether Yellow Pages is a trademark or
    > not is irrelevant.[/ref]

    I stand corrected. You are correct.

    "Yellow Pages" is trademarked in UK and Canada but not US.
    Arnie Guest

  10. #10

    Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Arnie Goetchius scraped:

    Last I heard, the US was not the be all and end all, thus the definitive:
     [/ref][/ref]

    is untrue.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Guest

  11. #11

    Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Arnie Goetchius scraped:

    Just you remember it ;)

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Guest

  12. #12

    Arnie Goetchius wrote:

    >> <pedant>Trademarked</pedant>
    >>[/ref]
    >
    > Well you are both incorrect. "Yellow Pages" is neither "Copyrighted" or
    > "Trademarked" in the US. Don't know about other countries.
    >
    > Having worked for AT&T Yellow Pages for better then 30 years (before
    > retirement), I speak with authority. The term "Yellow Pages" was
    > deliberately not trademarked to encourage the widest possible use of the
    > term. That strategy worked very well while AT&T was a monopoly.[/ref]

    Really. I work for Yell and as far as I know they have a who raft of
    trademarks.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    # lead designer http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
    # this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2005
    # explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
    # to duplicate this post.
    SpaceGirl Guest

  13. #13

    Arnie Goetchius wrote:

    > Last I heard, Canada is not part of the US.[/ref]

    And "Used under license" sounds like someone else owns it.
    --

    Aloha from Captain Cook, Hawaii
    http://ItsKona.Com

  14. #14

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    >> Well you are both incorrect. "Yellow Pages" is neither "Copyrighted"
    >> or "Trademarked" in the US. Don't know about other countries.
    >>
    >> Having worked for AT&T Yellow Pages for better then 30 years (before
    >> retirement), I speak with authority. The term "Yellow Pages" was
    >> deliberately not trademarked to encourage the widest possible use of
    >> the term. That strategy worked very well while AT&T was a monopoly.[/ref]
    >

    > Really. I work for Yell and as far as I know they have a who raft of
    > trademarks.
    >[/ref]

    As said above, it is not trademarked in the US. Isn't Yell in the UK?
    Arnie Guest

  15. #15

    Lavarock wrote:

    >> Last I heard, Canada is not part of the US.[/ref]
    >

    > And "Used under license" sounds like someone else owns it.[/ref]

    The "someone else" is The Yellow Pages Group of Canada (formerly a
    subsidiary Of Bell of Canada). They own the "Yellow Pages" trademark in
    Canada.
    Arnie Guest

  16. #16

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    >> Well you are both incorrect. "Yellow Pages" is neither "Copyrighted"
    >> or "Trademarked" in the US. Don't know about other countries.
    >>
    >> Having worked for AT&T Yellow Pages for better then 30 years (before
    >> retirement), I speak with authority. The term "Yellow Pages" was
    >> deliberately not trademarked to encourage the widest possible use of
    >> the term. That strategy worked very well while AT&T was a monopoly.[/ref]
    >

    > Really. I work for Yell and as far as I know they have a who raft of
    > trademarks.
    >[/ref]

    Actually, it is trademarked. See
    http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=doc&state=jfn1lp.2.421

    But also notice the disclaimer...

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

  17. #17

    Michael Vilain wrote:

    Okay... Does any one know who sells the data?

    http://www.douglassdavis.com Guest

  18. #18

    Writing in news:alt.comp.lang.php,alt.www.webmaster
    From the safety of the http://groups.google.com cafeteria
    http://www.douglassdavis.com <com> said:

    > Okay... Does any one know who sells the data?[/ref]

    They would be called list brokers - quality varies.

    --
    William Tasso

    ** Business as usual
    William Guest

  19. #19

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:23:53 +0100, Dylan Parry
    <com> wrote:

    >> Well you are both incorrect. "Yellow Pages" is neither "Copyrighted" or
    >> "Trademarked" in the US. Don't know about other countries.[/ref]
    >
    >No, I am correct. I didn't say that the term "Yellow Pages" *is*
    >trademarked, but merely pointed out that the correct word was
    >trademarked and not copyrighted. Whether Yellow Pages is a trademark or
    >not is irrelevant.
    >
    >Besides, I am not in the US, and section three of
    >http://www.yell.com/legal/home.html clearly states that "Yellow Pages™
    >is a trademark of Yell" which is a British company, AFAIK.[/ref]

    Wow! I have oft wondered what train spotters do for fun during rail
    strikes, falling leaves, snow showers and the like. Now I know! Thanks
    lads!

    Matt

    Matt Guest

  20. #20

    Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Matt Probert scraped:

    Really? I thought they compiled encyclopaedias? :P

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast