Professional Web Applications Themes

Z80 Assembler and Bad F-Line - Mac Applications & Software

I'm doing maintenance on an application that uses a z80 assembler from Micro Dialects, Inc (ľASM v 3.11). It's running on a very old, but still fully functioning Mac. My problem is that whenever I configure the assembler to generate a list file, the assembler crashes, and I see the much dreaded "bad f-line instruction" message. I NEED the list file to see what's going on. I'm inexperienced with the Mac, the assembler, and the code it's assembling, and could use every bit of information I can get. I've tried reloading the software (copy and paste), but get the same ...

  1. #1

    Default Z80 Assembler and Bad F-Line

    I'm doing maintenance on an application that uses a z80 assembler from
    Micro Dialects, Inc (ľASM v 3.11). It's running on a very old, but
    still fully functioning Mac.

    My problem is that whenever I configure the assembler to generate a
    list file, the assembler crashes, and I see the much dreaded "bad
    f-line instruction" message. I NEED the list file to see what's going
    on. I'm inexperienced with the Mac, the assembler, and the code it's
    assembling, and could use every bit of information I can get.

    I've tried reloading the software (copy and paste), but get the same
    results.

    Thanks for any help in advance. ~ Jeff
    Jeff Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Z80 Assembler and Bad F-Line

    Jeff Stevens <com> pressed random keys until the following was produced:

    Disclaimer: I don't have any experience at all with the assembler package
    you're working on, but I did enough Z80 programming "back in the day" to
    feel confident enough to wildly guess here.

    To me, it sounds like maybe you're being told that your code for the Z80
    is bad, rather than getting an error from the assembler program itself.
    It's telling you that you're using a bad instruction - what "f-line"
    means in this context I don't know.

    I don't think it's the assembler, I think it's what it's assembling.

    Any luck with google?

    Dave Hinz

    davehinz@spamcop.net Guest

  3. #3

    On 22 Aug 2003 12:07:43 -0700, Jeff Stevens wrote:

    I take it you mean, it's a z80 cross-assembler that runs on a 68K Mac.

    A "Bad F-line instruction" is basically an illegal instruction on the
    Mac's MC680x0 processor. You could call it an unimplemented trap, but
    all F-line instructions were unimplemented on the Mac.

    Are you specifying a list file by name? Perhaps the syntax of the name,
    or path considerations, are the problem.

    --
    Dave Seaman
    Judge Yohn's mistakes revealed in Mumia Abu-Jamal ruling.

  4. #4

    >My problem is that whenever I configure the assembler to generate a

    This is a 68000 exception that indicates an invalid instruction. Often, 68882
    floating-point instructions will cause this error if the machine has no
    floating-point unit installed.

    Most likely, you've found a bug in your assembler.

    There are other Z80 cross-assemblers that run on a Mac. Try these:

    http://www.rit.edu/~alj8314/caz.shtml

    http://www.hinton.demon.co.uk/archive/macide.html (requires MPW)

    I've heard of two other Z80 cross-assemblers (Oasis and Magic) that I can't
    find out any information about now.

    I used to be a very prolific Z80 coder back in the day. :)

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    Tacit Guest

  5. #5

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Jeff Stevens) wrote:

    The Micro Dialects cross assembler has been orphaned and unsupported for
    years.

    There is one on my web site that is an MPW Tool, but it will run on any Mac
    that capable of running MPW. Further details on the web page. It is a port
    of TASM so the source files may also be cross assembled on DOS or Unix
    platforms, ie it is future proof.

    http://www.hinton.demon.co.uk/archive/macide.html

    Graham Guest

  6. #6

    deathsquad.com (Graham Hinton) wrote in message news:<demon.co.uk>...

    > The Micro Dialects cross assembler has been orphaned and unsupported for
    > years.
    >
    > There is one on my web site that is an MPW Tool, but it will run on any Mac
    > that capable of running MPW. Further details on the web page. It is a port
    > of TASM so the source files may also be cross assembled on DOS or Unix
    > platforms, ie it is future proof.
    >
    > http://www.hinton.demon.co.uk/archive/macide.html[/ref]

    Found it. Thanks for keeping my eyes on the code.. the first line of
    the source consisted only of about 150 asterisks (*). For whatever
    reason, the assembler didn't like generating a list file with that
    first line of code. Once I replaced it with a more mundane comment
    line, all worked perfectly.

    Don't ask me why the first line was a ton of asterisks.. the original
    engineer may have simply left a mousetrap in the code.

    Thanks for all the help! ~ Jeff
    Jeff Guest