Professional Web Applications Themes

Zip disk hell - Mac Applications & Software

We recently installed new mirrored-face G4's, OS X v10.2.6, with Iomega's 750 meg zip drives in a computer lab environment. Problem...apparently the only way one can rename a pc-formatted Zip disk in OS X is to actually REFORMAT the disk as MAC HFS Standard or Extended...otherwise, the user doesn't get a cursor when the zip icon is clicked to rename it. But once the zip disk is formatted as Mac HFS, it cannot be read by a PC! The PC just prompts the user to reformat the ZIP again once it has been inserted in the drive. Our students need ...

  1. #1

    Default Zip disk hell

    We recently installed new mirrored-face G4's, OS X v10.2.6, with
    Iomega's 750 meg zip drives in a computer lab environment.
    Problem...apparently the only way one can rename a pc-formatted Zip
    disk in OS X is to actually REFORMAT the disk as MAC HFS Standard or
    Extended...otherwise, the user doesn't get a cursor when the zip icon
    is clicked to rename it. But once the zip disk is formatted as Mac
    HFS, it cannot be read by a PC! The PC just prompts the user to
    reformat the ZIP again once it has been inserted in the drive. Our
    students need to be able to work on their HTML files on both macs and
    pc (most have pc's at home, macs are used in the labs and classrooms
    on campus). We had NO problems doing this with OS 9x...zip disks
    could be renamed, read, written to, etc., without any problems between
    both the mac and pc platform. With OS X, I'm not seeing a way to do
    this gracefully....any suggestions?

    Dave
    D. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Zip disk hell

    In article <google.com>,
    com (D. Fox) wrote:

    Under MacOS 9, you could format a ZIP drive to be PC DOS format. The
    Finder would still be able to mount it and copy files to it. I don't
    know if that feature is no longer availble on ZIP drives under MacOS X,
    but I recall the ZipTools offering multiple formats. Have you looked at
    that more closely?

    Also, I wasn't aware that IOMEGA made a new 750MB ZIP disk. Can you
    post the URL to their site that describes this new drive? Or was it a
    typo and you really mean a 250MB drive?

    There _must_ be more Mac-literate students among your population who can
    help you out with your Mac struggles.

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    On 8/9/03 1:41 pm, in article
    google.com, "D. Fox"
    <com> wrote:

    With the relative price of Zip disks and USB memory sticks I'm amazed that
    anyone is fitting zip drives to newish Macs. I use 512Kbyte USB memory
    sticks to transfer data between Macs and PCs. The only bug is the four year
    old NT4 which doesn't support USB.

    Mike Guest

  4. #4

    In article <google.com>,
    D. Fox <com> wrote:

    I haven't had this difficulty, but I only use the 100's.

    Used to be that Iomega had a thingie called "Zip Tools" that shipped
    with the drive. Dunno if it exists for OS X, but it did with OS/2,
    Windows and OS 9. I'd have a look at the Iomega web site. Zip Tools
    allowed one to do all sorts of things...

    Could you not pop over to Classic and rename the disk using the OS 9
    Zip Tools? I'm certain you can get that from the Iomega web site.

    David Derbes [edu]
    david Guest

  5. #5

    In article <tdl.com>, Michael Vilain
    <net> wrote:

    <clip>

    No it's not a typo. A 750MB Zip drive will treat all 100MB Zip disks as
    read only though.

    I believe their site is iomega.com

    --
    Christopher S. Moore
    us

  6. #6

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 11:38:36 -0700,
    "Michael Vilain <net>" () wrote:

    Iomega have made a Zip 750 for a while now. Here's the URL:
    <http://www.iomega.com/na/products/product_family.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=432677&AS SORTMENT%3C%3East_id=63191&bmUID=1063062375536>

    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  7. #7

    > But once the zip disk is formatted as MacHFS, it cannot be

    Your exclamation point indicates suprise. Where's the suprise? PCs have never
    been able to read Mac media (formatted for DOS on a Mac notwithstanding)
    without the use of a third-party program, such as MacDrive from
    mediafour.com.

    Now, about the renaming part:

    I don't know about that. I have a 250MB and I can rename. Check with Iomega's
    user forums about that.

    Tim Guest

  8. #8

    >Problem...apparently the only way one can rename a pc-formatted Zip

    You cannot rename a Zip disk (or any other disk) if File Sharing is turned on.
    Turn it off, and you can rename to your heart's content.

    Correct. The PC has never been able to read Mac disks without special
    third-party software, such as TransMac or MacOpener.

    Even in OS 9, you can't rename a disk if file sharing is turned on.

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    Tacit Guest

  9. #9

    In <google.com> D. Fox wrote:

    For whatever reason, the Finder in Mac OS X can not rename MS-DOS disks.
    As you have found you can rename them when you erase them using Disk
    Utility. However, you don't have to reformat them to Mac HFS, you can
    erase them to MS-DOS format with a new name and happily use them on Macs
    or PCs. Do your students need to rename the disks often?

    PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    order at http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz
    Roger Guest

  10. #10

    D. Fox <com> wrote:

    Don't rename or reformat the Zip disks. Leave the Zip disks
    in DOS format so that both Mac and Windows users can access them.
    You lose the ability to rename the disks, but its a small price
    to pay for the added portability.

    stan@temple.edu Guest

  11. #11

    Roger Johnstone <co.nz> wrote in message news:<20030909205026752+inv.ihug.co.nz>...

    Roger,

    I don't know why the thought didn't cross my mind to simply leave the
    disks formatted as MS-DOS, but that at least provides an acceptable
    workaround for students. The only limitation being that they can only
    name the disk ONCE, as any future attempt to rename the disk results
    in erasing the disk. But our professors want the students to be able
    to rename the disks, so at least this provides the means to do it one
    time.

    The bigger question...why the HELL can't the OS X finder simply rename
    the disk?

    Thanks for the help,

    Dave
    D. Guest

  12. #12

    3 things to look at:

    1 - as far as I can tell this is NOT a 'feature' of 100 and 250 zip disk
    (no ability to rename) it *could* be an issue with the newer 750 format.
    ie:100 and 250 Pc disks CAN be renamed

    2 - have you installed 'iomega tools' or whatever they are calling it
    now a days on the Macs? this installs not only the tools software but
    also installs some sort of driver (or equivelent)

    3 - Mac Drive (www.mediafour.com)- this is softwaare which teaches Pcs
    to read/write HFS(+) formatted disks of all types. Getting this for
    home systems may be dodgy but at work/school it should be easy enough.

    D. Fox wrote:

    > Roger,
    >
    > I don't know why the thought didn't cross my mind to simply leave the
    > disks formatted as MS-DOS, but that at least provides an acceptable
    > workaround for students. The only limitation being that they can only
    > name the disk ONCE, as any future attempt to rename the disk results
    > in erasing the disk. But our professors want the students to be able
    > to rename the disks, so at least this provides the means to do it one
    > time.
    >
    > The bigger question...why the HELL can't the OS X finder simply rename
    > the disk?
    >
    > Thanks for the help,
    >
    > Dave[/ref]

    Fetch, Guest

  13. #13

    edu wrote in message news:<bjkglh$gai$temple.edu>...
    <snip>

    That is pretty much what we ended up doing, as there seems to be no
    graceful way to rename a Zip disk in OS X on macs with 750 meg zip
    drives, wile at the same time maintaining cross-platform compatibility
    with PC's. Sometimes our professors here are prima donnas and ask for
    unreasonable and outrageous stuff, but in fairness, this time it
    seemed like a reasonable request...last semester, with OS 9, students
    could rename their Zip disks easily, from the finder. With OS X, they
    can't (without erasing the disk). I was just attempting to find out
    why, and whether it was an Iomega issue or an Apple issue.

    Dave
    D. Guest

  14. #14

    Chris Moore <us> writes:

    Ow. So much for that then. I had considered getting a 750M drive,
    but if I can't write my existing 100M disks, forget it.

    Fortunately, I have no such problem with the 250M drive in my G4.

    -- David
    David Guest

  15. #15

    Mike <com> writes:

    Depends on what you plan to do with them.

    For instance, I have a SCSI Zip-100 drive on my Kurzweil synthesizer.
    I use it because my only other choices for loading stuff is floppy.
    It has no USB port.

    I also have several PCs with Zip-100 drives, some of which are too
    old to have USB ports.

    -- David
    David Guest

  16. #16

    In article <BB828DCB.10A90%com>, Mike
    <com> wrote:

    > With the relative price of Zip disks and USB memory sticks I'm amazed that
    > anyone is fitting zip drives to newish Macs. I use 512Kbyte USB memory
    > sticks to transfer data between Macs and PCs. The only bug is the four year
    > old NT4 which doesn't support USB.[/ref]

    512 K wouldn't fit just about any of the Photoshop files that the
    students at the college I work at make. Most have several Zips in their
    possesion.

    In January we're upgrading to G5's, no Zips. Their going to require
    (maybe) or request students get external USB or Firewire hard drives. I
    just hope they stress the importance of getting true portable devices
    that don't need an outlet. There are too few outlets placed to far from
    the computers. Going to turn into extension cord hell if I may borrow
    this threads subject. Students can use the DVD-R/CD-R/CD-RW's
    otherwise.