Professional Web Applications Themes

ZoneAlarm S/W for the Mac ? - Mac Applications & Software

Hello, I know that there is no ZoneALarm s/w for the Macintosh; is/are there an equivalent(s) s/w for the Mac ? Thanks in advance for your response, VG....

  1. #1

    Default ZoneAlarm S/W for the Mac ?

    Hello,

    I know that there is no ZoneALarm s/w for the Macintosh; is/are there an
    equivalent(s) s/w for the Mac ?

    Thanks in advance for your response,

    VG.
    El Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ZoneAlarm S/W for the Mac ?

    In article <BB6AFAF3.2E636%net>,
    El Bucanero <net> wrote:

    NetBarrier
    http://www.intego.com/products/

    IPNetsentry
    http://www.sustworks.com/site/prod.html

    I demoed both but decided on a hardware router.

    --
    Real Address-> neoluddite0comcast.net <- replace 0 with
    Bill Gates couldn't innovate his way out of a paper bag.

  3. #3

    Roister <com> wrote:

    > > Odds are, you do not need any kind of software like that on your Mac.
    > > ZoneAlarm and its competitors are necessary on Windows PCs with broadband
    > > access because Microsoft doesn't know security. If you're using OS X and
    > > you want to feel secure, all you have to do is turn on the firewall
    > > facility that's built right into OS X.
    > >[/ref]
    > But does the firewall in Mac OS X notify you when some app is phoning home?
    > Or a trojan, or spy app is making communications with the outside world?[/ref]

    No, the firewall doesn't. There is a utility called "Little Snitch" that
    does just that.

    --
    Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl
    Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/

  4. #4

    Look at FireWalk X, great firewall, makes everything show up in stealth mode
    (well really not show up at all), might also do what you want it to, just
    have not needed that functionality out of it. I know that you can set up
    specific applications, and other things, pretty darn flexible firewall.

    Jason

    On 8/23/03 2:18 AM, in article BB6C2A74.82F4%com,
    "Roister" <com> wrote:

    >> Odds are, you do not need any kind of software like that on your Mac.
    >> ZoneAlarm and its competitors are necessary on Windows PCs with broadband
    >> access because Microsoft doesn't know security. If you're using OS X and
    >> you want to feel secure, all you have to do is turn on the firewall
    >> facility that's built right into OS X.
    >>[/ref]
    > But does the firewall in Mac OS X notify you when some app is phoning home?
    > Or a trojan, or spy app is making communications with the outside world?

    To respond to me remove the noway and nospam in my address.
    Jason Pickard

    Jason Guest

  5. #5

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 22:29:53 -0500, edu wrote
    (in message <bi6n3h$tmg$temple.edu>):

    > Odds are, you do not need any kind of software like that on your Mac.
    > ZoneAlarm and its competitors are necessary on Windows PCs with broadband
    > access because Microsoft doesn't know security. If you're using OS X and
    > you want to feel secure, all you have to do is turn on the firewall
    > facility that's built right into OS X.
    >[/ref]

    From experience I would say you need it. I use net barrier. For one, Apple
    has put out a number of security updates to fix holes in the system. For
    another reason I would say bitter experience. My iMac was connecting on its
    own in the middle of the night. I had the internet connection preferences set
    to connect when needed but I wasn't running any programs that would cause it
    to connect. Netbarrier showed some data being sent out but while I was trying
    to determine where it was going it quit sending. A couple of days later I was
    able to determine the IP address the data was going to. A "whois" command
    returned the information that the IP address was non existant.

    I bought Little Snitch at the suggestion of someone on this group and I have
    caught a couple wierd connect attempts but not everytime it has connected to
    an unknown site. There have been times when I am using Netbarrier to monitor
    the outgoing rate and I have found a fairly large data stream going out with
    no internet applications open. when I run the IP address they don't exist.
    Net barrier alows you to block any IP address you want. the tech support
    people at Little snitch suggested running a terminal command( sorry don't
    have it handy) to see what is running when it occurs. I haven't found
    anything being sent out since then. Virex does not find anything and Norton
    anti-virus just crashes.

    I am going to stick to dial up for now. Don't think that the Mac OS is
    unbreakable.

    Hud

    Hud Guest

  6. #6

    The reason that your iMac was connecting in the middle of the night is that
    the /etc/daily script was being run, this is part of the built in scheduled
    scripts that all UNIX flavors usually have to clean up temporary items, and
    old log files etc. In that script (netstat -i) is being run, which needs a
    network connection to run properly, no big deal if it can't, but if you have
    it set to connect automatically then when the netstat command is called, it
    connects and executes the command, and it would probably dial out on the
    modem as well, so dial up would not make a difference, unless you have the
    phone line unplugged.

    Jason

    On 8/23/03 8:21 PM, in article
    texas.net, "Hud Dunlap"

  7. #7

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, El Bucanero wrote:

    Then you are even less likely to need firewall software. 9.1 more or less
    doesn't have any services running for people to attack. You could still
    get netbarrier or the like.

    Fred

    > > Odds are, you do not need any kind of software like that on your Mac.
    > > ZoneAlarm and its competitors are necessary on Windows PCs with broadband
    > > access because Microsoft doesn't know security. If you're using OS X and
    > > you want to feel secure, all you have to do is turn on the firewall
    > > facility that's built right into OS X.
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Frederick Guest

  8. #8

    El Bucanero <net> wrote:

    > > Odds are, you do not need any kind of software like that on your Mac.
    > > ZoneAlarm and its competitors are necessary on Windows PCs with broadband
    > > access because Microsoft doesn't know security. If you're using OS X and
    > > you want to feel secure, all you have to do is turn on the firewall
    > > facility that's built right into OS X.[/ref][/ref]

    No, the firewall only blocks INCOMING traffic. It does not block any
    program that tries to phone home, because that is OUTGOING traffic.

  9. #9

    Frederick Cheung <DUH.ucam.org> wrote:

    > > No, the firewall only blocks INCOMING traffic. It does not block any
    > > program that tries to phone home, because that is OUTGOING traffic.[/ref]
    >
    > A proper firewall can block any traffic you set it to.[/ref]

    We are not talking any firewall, we're talking about the built-in
    firewall of MacOS X. So how do you set the MacOS X firewall to do just
    that? Not by simply turning it on, as suggested. The MacOS X firewall
    settings specifically mention "incoming traffic". And if you add a new
    rule, it specifically says "Specify a port on which you would like to
    RECEIVE networking traffic". There is no option to specify OUTGOING
    traffic.

  10. #10

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Johan W. Elzenga wrote:

    > > A proper firewall can block any traffic you set it to.[/ref]
    >
    > We are not talking any firewall, we're talking about the built-in
    > firewall of MacOS X. So how do you set the MacOS X firewall to do just
    > that? Not by simply turning it on, as suggested. The MacOS X firewall
    > settings specifically mention "incoming traffic". And if you add a new
    > rule, it specifically says "Specify a port on which you would like to
    > RECEIVE networking traffic". There is no option to specify OUTGOING
    > traffic.[/ref]

    sudo ipfw add 65534 deny ip out

    will deny any outgoing traffic not allowed by previous rules (at the very
    least you would need lower numbered rules allowing traffic on the loopback
    interface and on established connections.

    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  11. #11

    El Bucanero <net> wrote:

    If you are using OS X a firewall is built in. For OS 9 there are a
    number of products from companies like intego and symantec. If you are
    sharing your internet access with other computers using a router, the
    router almost certainly has firewall protection built in.
    Strider Guest