Professional Web Applications Themes

Zoom over 6400% crashes - Macromedia Freehand

I'm so tired of FH crashing when I'm zoomed over 6400%. It's been about one year now since I brought this problem to Macromedia's attention, and still no fix. Is there anyway to hack the program so it can not zoom over 6400%?...

  1. #1

    Default Zoom over 6400% crashes

    I'm so tired of FH crashing when I'm zoomed over 6400%. It's been about one
    year now since I brought this problem to Macromedia's attention, and still
    no fix. Is there anyway to hack the program so it can not zoom over 6400%?

    Bruce Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Zoom over 6400% crashes

    Bruce Kieffer wrote:

    That's new ... I haven't seen that problem before. And I regularly zoom
    up to the maximum in Freehand. Anything in particular happen when you're
    zoomed in that precedes a crash? Have you done anything to rule out
    other causes of the crashing?
    Wes Guest

  3. #3

    in article d3gfvu$i09$macromedia.com, Wes Rand at com
    wrote on 4/12/05 7:46 AM:

    > That's new ... I haven't seen that problem before. And I regularly zoom
    > up to the maximum in Freehand. Anything in particular happen when you're
    > zoomed in that precedes a crash? Have you done anything to rule out
    > other causes of the crashing?[/ref]

    It's a known bug. Happens with some two point straight lines at angles
    slightly downward from the left. I tried everything, even begging Macromedia
    to fix it with no results.

    Bruce Guest

  4. #4

    Bruce Kieffer wrote:

    >>That's new ... I haven't seen that problem before. And I regularly zoom
    >>up to the maximum in Freehand. Anything in particular happen when you're
    >>zoomed in that precedes a crash? Have you done anything to rule out
    >>other causes of the crashing?[/ref]
    >

    > It's a known bug. Happens with some two point straight lines at angles
    > slightly downward from the left. I tried everything, even begging Macromedia
    > to fix it with no results.
    >[/ref]

    Hmmm. I hadn't seen it on their emerging issues list. Is this a Windows
    version problem? What steps do you take that lead to the crash? I played
    around with some lines alternating between maximum zoom and other views
    with no crashes. If you can get some others to reproduce the problem it
    would likely get more attention from the Freehand team
    Wes Guest

  5. #5

    Bruce,
    Did you try my suggestion for hacking your Preferences file to limit
    magnification? It _will_ stop FH from zooming past 6400%. Does it stop your
    crashing?

    Since I went to all the time and trouble to figure this out, I'd really like
    to know if it solves your problem.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt wrote:

    > Bruce,
    > Try this. Quit FH. Find the Preferences file. On a Mac, Preferences file is
    > in:
    >
    > Users/(Username)/Library/Application Support/ Macromedia/ FreeHand MX/ 11/
    > English/ Settings
    >
    > Open the FHMX Preferences file in a text editor. Change the line
    >
    > (MaxMagnification) (256)

    > (MaxMagnification) (64)
    >
    > Save. Close. Launch FHMX.
    >
    > Let us know if this stops the crashing.
    >
    > Judy Arndt
    >[/ref]

    Judy Guest

  6. #6

    Judy,

    Thank you very much for your help with this issue. Yes I did try your
    suggestion, it works, and I have it set that way now. It does stop the
    crashing, but it also stops me from zooming over 6400%. I know this is what
    I asked for, but I need to work with it set that way a bit to see if I can
    live without the tighter zoom in range. I guess my point to all of this is:
    This is serious bug that's been known to Macromedia for a long time, and it
    like many other of the FH bugs are not important enough to them to fix.

    in article BE854F88.2C991%ca, Judy Arndt at ca
    wrote on 4/15/05 12:01 PM:

    >> Bruce,
    >> Try this. Quit FH. Find the Preferences file. On a Mac, Preferences file is
    >> in:
    >>
    >> Users/(Username)/Library/Application Support/ Macromedia/ FreeHand MX/ 11/
    >> English/ Settings
    >>
    >> Open the FHMX Preferences file in a text editor. Change the line
    >>
    >> (MaxMagnification) (256)

    >> (MaxMagnification) (64)
    >>
    >> Save. Close. Launch FHMX.
    >>
    >> Let us know if this stops the crashing.
    >>
    >> Judy Arndt[/ref][/ref]

    Bruce Guest

  7. #7

    Bruce Kieffer wrote:

    Okay, good. The next step is to scale up the artwork by 400% and see if you
    can work that way without crashing.

    Yes, to you it's a serious bug, but you are the only one who has ever
    reported it to this forum, making it a rarely encountered bug. You said in
    earlier posts on the issue that you are importing artwork from a CAD EPS
    file and cleaning it up in FH. Imported artwork, from whatever source, can
    contain corruption of one kind or another.

    I think you should realize that software companies prioritize bug fixes
    depending on the number of users affected by the bug. If "your" bug affects
    only one user, then IMHO the chances of it being fixed are slim indeed.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  8. #8

    in article BE86D45E.2CA0E%ca, Judy Arndt at ca
    wrote on 4/16/05 3:40 PM:

    Judy,

    Are you suggesting I make another change to the MaxMagnification preference
    setting? Setting it to (256) allows zooming to 256X. Set to (64) allows
    zooming to 6400%. What is the setting you want me to try there and what
    would be the max magnification then?

    Bruce Guest

  9. #9

    in article BE86D45E.2CA0E%ca, Judy Arndt at ca
    wrote on 4/16/05 3:40 PM:

    Judy,

    Originally I thought it was some corruption caused by the importation of the
    CAD EPS, but I have since proven that it has nothing to do with that, but it
    is a bug in the program. Do you remember the instructions I posted to
    recreate the bug? When I sent that out, just over 50% of the people who saw
    it could recreate the bug.

    When you say that I am the only one who has reported this bug to the forum,
    OK, but I find it hard to believe that I am the only one who encounters it
    on a daily basis. Can I be the only FH user who works with two point
    straight lines and zooms in above 6400%? If that is true, then there must
    not be many FH users left in the world.

    And when you talk about software companies prioritizing bug fixes, maybe so,
    but Macromedia historically has shown itself to be nonchalant about fixing
    bugs in FH, and for that matter all of it's programs. I need the programs I
    use to work for me, not against me.

    Bruce Guest

  10. #10

    Bruce Kieffer wrote:

    > Judy,
    >
    > Are you suggesting I make another change to the MaxMagnification preference
    > setting? Setting it to (256) allows zooming to 256X. Set to (64) allows
    > zooming to 6400%. What is the setting you want me to try there and what
    > would be the max magnification then?[/ref]

    No, I meant to use Transform/Scale to enlarge the artwork, providing it will
    still fit on the FH pasteboard. You will also have to enlarge the page size.
    At this point, it's just a test for troubleshooting, but if it works it
    would give you a better close view of your artwork, all the while limiting
    your magnification to 6400%.

    If there is a mathematical rounding error in dimensions in the redraw
    routines that sent data to the video card, this might make a difference.

    If you're working with imported CAD drawings, they're probably already drawn
    to scale. Remember that you can use a custom page rulers to show the scale
    of the doent.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  11. #11

    Bruce Kieffer wrote:

    Yes, but this could also mean that 50% of us have some corruption in our
    video cards or video drivers, that fails to properly interpret perfectly
    legal instructions. Why do 50% of users NOT crash? If it were a FH bug, then
    all users should crash all the time.

    Have you tried working with your files on a different computer?

    The nature of your imported CAD files is that you get many, many short
    straight lines.

    I don't import CAD files. When I use short straight lines at odd angles,
    it's usually for cross-hatching, starbursts, wagon wheel spokes or some
    other such artistic effect. I would have no reason to zoom in on the lines.
    A 1600% view gives me a very clear view of a 1-point stroke.

    I do frequently import AI and CorelDraw files -- logos and illustrations. I
    occasionally have crashes when working with them, but rarely have crashes in
    work that I've drawn from scratch in FH.

    Yes, well, it's all a matter of economic choices. How much will it cost a
    software company to fix a bug? How many users will they lose if they don't
    fix it? How much revenue would those users generate? Can they make better
    use of programmer-hours? Can they continue to make a profit and keep their
    shareholders happy?

    I'm actually quite surprised that you continue using FH for cleaning up your
    CAD files, given the number of crashes you've been reporting. Have you tried
    doing the job in other drawing programs?

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  12. #12

    in article BE88142B.2CA2A%ca, Judy Arndt at ca
    wrote on 4/17/05 2:24 PM:

    I understand. Thanks

    Bruce Guest

  13. #13

    in article BE881A3A.2CA30%ca, Judy Arndt at ca
    wrote on 4/17/05 2:50 PM:

    > Yes, but this could also mean that 50% of us have some corruption in our
    > video cards or video drivers, that fails to properly interpret perfectly
    > legal instructions. Why do 50% of users NOT crash? If it were a FH bug, then
    > all users should crash all the time.
    >
    > Have you tried working with your files on a different computer?[/ref]

    Yes. Same problem.

    > The nature of your imported CAD files is that you get many, many short
    > straight lines.
    >
    > I don't import CAD files. When I use short straight lines at odd angles,
    > it's usually for cross-hatching, starbursts, wagon wheel spokes or some
    > other such artistic effect. I would have no reason to zoom in on the lines.
    > A 1600% view gives me a very clear view of a 1-point stroke.
    >
    > I do frequently import AI and CorelDraw files -- logos and illustrations. I
    > occasionally have crashes when working with them, but rarely have crashes in
    > work that I've drawn from scratch in FH.

    > Yes, well, it's all a matter of economic choices. How much will it cost a
    > software company to fix a bug? How many users will they lose if they don't
    > fix it? How much revenue would those users generate? Can they make better
    > use of programmer-hours? Can they continue to make a profit and keep their
    > shareholders happy?[/ref]

    I would hope there was some pride involved in making a well functioning
    program. Too bad it's just about profit.

    I've tried Illustrator, and it can not do the simple path operations that FH
    does. Join, pull out curve handles, etc. There are ways to do those things
    in AI, but the time to do them using the AI tools would take me longer than
    living with the FH crashes! I've hear some people forget about the joining
    and just use the AI pen tool to draw over the imported lines. I'm working to
    learn that so I can compare it to FH. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE FH, I just
    want it to work well for me.

    Bruce Guest