I have been trying to get Red Hat Linux 9 working on my HP zt1230 laptop.
The laptop has an S3 Savage4 video chipset with 16MB of RAM. X detects that
fine, but only allows the display to go up to 800x600, although the native
resolution of the LCD display is 1024x768. When I try to manually edit
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to use 1024x768, I cannot get X to start. Examining
/var/log/XFree86.0.log reveals that X does not want to use the 31.7kHz
horizontal refresh rate that it used quite successfully at 800x600! It
should be noted, too, that this laptop previously ran Red Hat Linux 7.3,
which configured itself properly without any tweaking at all. Has anyone
gotten this laptop or video chipset to work with RH9?

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylaros2.dhs.org)
-- [url]http://os2.dhs.org/~skylar/[/url]