Professional Web Design & Development

Need help with a project? We provide custom design and development services including WordPress & Drupal CMS, Magento Commerce Solutions and Mobile application development.

Request Quote

10 Free Alternatives for Adobe Photoshop Software

If you have been doing quick photo editing and feel that photoshop eats up all your resources, well as a blogger I have to do a lot of photo editing but I do not need ultra rich photoshop features, which only designers and graphic experts require. Would you want to use the any other similar software like photoshop but simpler?

Think about simple photo-editor that’s quick, easy and doesn’t cost a thousand dollars. Fortunately, there’re plenty of web-based photos editors. Most are useless, but some are great functionally.

Check out these free web-based Photoshop alternatives.

Gimp: GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a freely distributed piece of software suitable for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition, and image authoring. It is a powerful piece of software with capabilities not found in any other free software product. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert-quality photo-retouching program, an online batch-processing system, a mass production image renderer, or an image-format converter. GIMP is modular, expandable, and extensible. It works across several different platform.

Cine Paint: CinePaint is a deep paint image retouching tool that supports higher color fidelity than ordinary painting tools. One of the advantage that it has over GIMP is that it is able to support 32-bits image (GIMP only supports 8-bits image). Cinepaint is mainly used by developers in the flim industry for motion picture frame-by-frame retouching. The current version runs on Linux, BSD, Mac OSX. Stable version for Windows is not available at the moment.

Paint.net: Paint.net is a free image and photo editing software that runs only windows. It features an intuitive and innovative user interface with support for layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools.

Krita: Krita is a painting and image editing application for Koffice and is part of the KDE package. It has become very popular recently due to its ease of use. While it is not as feature-rich as the Photoshop, or even GIMP, it does contains the necessary tools to create/edit a professional image from scratch. In fact, the latest version contains some features that are not found in both GIMP and Photoshop.

Seashore: Seashore is an open source image editor for Mac OS X’s Cocoa framework. It features gradients, textures and anti-aliasing for both text and brush strokes. It supports multiple layers and alpha channel editing. It is based around the GIMP’s technology and uses the same native file format.

Xara Xtreme: Xara Xtreme is simply the best graphics software for all your drawing and day to day photo needs, ideal for both print and the web. If you’re drawing then Xtreme is perfect for everything from simple logos to detailed illustrations. If you’re looking to create web graphics then it can help you produce all the graphics you’ll need for your site from perfect buttons to eye catching Flash animations and even complete HTML pages.

Photobie: Photobie is a free advanced image editing software that supports layers and masks. It’s includes many embedded filters and supports most Photoshop filter (.8bf) plug-ins. Photobie is featured with advanced screen capture tools it can create or edit high quality gif animation. Photobie is full feature packed, which enables you to create eye-catching images and animations.

Inkscape: Inkscape is open-source vector graphics editor with capabilities similar to illustrator, Free hand, Corel Draw or Xara X using the W3C Standard scalable vector graphics file format.

Photoplus: Photoplus is the amazing photo editing software that enables you to fix and enhance digital photos, create stunning bitmap graphics and even web animations.

ChocoFlop: ChocoFlop is an image editor for Mac OS X, based on the CoreImage technology. It is currently in beta stage and available freely.

You might also like:

  1. Web based Alternatives to Photoshop
  2. Most Popular Online Image Editing Tools
  3. 8 PHP Shopping Cart Software for Reliable Ecommerce Solution
  4. Clouds in The Sky: 4 Photoshop Tutorials
  5. Some Popular WYSIWYG Editors

Tags: , ,

4 Comments

  1. Adi

    When I touch up an image on my free stock photos gallery, I use GIMP – one of the best and necessary tools I have.

  2. Corey

    Great list!

    I have PhotoPlus and that is an excellent program due to its ease of use and huge assortment of features/filters. I have a couple of the others on this list too, but PhotoPlus is my favorite.

  3. [...] are quite a few image editors you can use to manipulate images and we have also talked about some of them here at JustSkins. The [...]

  4. deebrio

    Do you know which of these are available for Mac OS 10.5.8 or greater?

Leave a Reply