Applications to Install & Run Windows on Linux

MattTools & UtilitiesLeave a Comment

scaledmixed_desktop

The greatest fear that keeps many users to switch to Linux permanently is that they might not be able to access Windows applications in it. The fear is rather very superficial because there are many good and mostly open source applications which can do the same thing you earlier did on Windows. I have recently made Ubuntu my default OS and I think I made a smart choice. It’s not that I have abandoned Windows completely but I use it rarely. Running Windows on Linux is not that difficult as some of you believe. There are some applications which makes running Windows on Linux a breeze.

Parallels Workstation

It is proprietary software which can be used to run Windows on Linux. You can run both Linux and Windows seamlessly in it without requiring any reboot. YOu can run multiple applications of different Operating Syatems at the same time in it. Parallels Workstation supports 86-based operating systems like Windows, Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD, OS/2, eComStation, and MS-DOS.

VirtualBox

It is another virtualization product which also happens to be open source. Users can donwload it and run it on Windows, Linux, Macintosh and OpenSolaris while it supports guest Operating Systems of Linux, Open BSD and Windows as well.

Win4Lin

Win4Lin lets you run Windows applications and desktops inside Linux. The good thing about this application is that it runs Windows applications and desktops as native Linux processes so Win4Lin can execute Windows, with the same scheduling and priority as other processes.

VMware

VMware is the perhaps the most popular in the league of applications which lets you run Windows on Linux. It can actually run multiple Operating Systems simultaneously on a single PC. VMware can run on both Windows and Linux operating systems and supports most desktop and server editions of Microsoft Windows, Linux, Solaris x86, Netware, and FreeBSD as guest operating systems.

MattApplications to Install & Run Windows on Linux

Leave a Reply